Budgie lover

Sweety&Tweety

Mar 2, 2023
Parrots
I have 2 budgies
Hello from Ohio everyone 😃

I have two beautiful budgies that I brought home, from a local popular pet store, in October. They are so sweet and seem pretty content to be apart of our family. When we are home they have free range of the living room and dining rooms and a large flight cage in the living room with all their toys and perches. They go into their cage to rest or when they need to feel more comfortable ❤️. When we are out they have a room to themselves, with a smaller but large cage, for them to play, roam and rest when we are not home.
We are still working on their trust. Our Sweety will hop onto our finger and our Tweety will only hop onto a stick. They both will land in our hands if we have Millet🥰.
I do have a concern when it comes to their diet. For the past two months I have been attempting to get them to eat fresh vegetables and fruits. They have not shown any interest in these nutritional choices. They will tweet and fuss. At first I tired to stick to my guns and encourage them to eat the veggies/fruits. They would continue to fuss and sometimes buzz my head😂So I started mixing their food with their bird seeds. They seem content but I am not sure if they get enough of the fresh food for they seem to pick through it for the seeds.
I would appreciate any recommendations in getting them more interested in fresh foods. Thank you so much.
9408E089-0A90-4237-9800-46681C51731B.jpeg
9408E089-0A90-4237-9800-46681C51731B.jpeg

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. It can take quite awhile for parrots to transition to new foods, just keep at it. You can try varying the presentation, like finely food processed, finely diced, bigger chunks and even some whole items like beans or corn. Some folks have luck slowly reducing the amount of seed, but never just make them go cold turkey for seed; parrots can and do starve themselves if that is done.

OP
Sweety&Tweety

Sweety&Tweety

Mar 2, 2023
Parrots
I have 2 budgies
Welcome and be welcomed. It can take quite awhile for parrots to transition to new foods, just keep at it. You can try varying the presentation, like finely food processed, finely diced, bigger chunks and even some whole items like beans or corn. Some folks have luck slowly reducing the amount of seed, but never just make them go cold turkey for seed; parrots can and do starve themselves if that is done.
Thank you so much for your response. I will definitely keep at it. I have read that if they live on solely a seed diet they don’t live as long and develop health problems. I want them to live a long and healthy life.😃

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello from Ohio everyone 😃

I have two beautiful budgies that I brought home, from a local popular pet store, in October. They are so sweet and seem pretty content to be apart of our family. When we are home they have free range of the living room and dining rooms and a large flight cage in the living room with all their toys and perches. They go into their cage to rest or when they need to feel more comfortable ❤️. When we are out they have a room to themselves, with a smaller but large cage, for them to play, roam and rest when we are not home.
We are still working on their trust. Our Sweety will hop onto our finger and our Tweety will only hop onto a stick. They both will land in our hands if we have Millet🥰.
I do have a concern when it comes to their diet. For the past two months I have been attempting to get them to eat fresh vegetables and fruits. They have not shown any interest in these nutritional choices. They will tweet and fuss. At first I tired to stick to my guns and encourage them to eat the veggies/fruits. They would continue to fuss and sometimes buzz my head😂So I started mixing their food with their bird seeds. They seem content but I am not sure if they get enough of the fresh food for they seem to pick through it for the seeds.
I would appreciate any recommendations in getting them more interested in fresh foods. Thank you so much.View attachment 47992View attachment 47992
Awww! They are so adorable! Very young, too. Try giving them whole leafs of very wet lettuce on a large plate to "play" with- budgies like to roll in wet greens and that may encourage them to nibble too. Wedge a raw carrot or raw celery between the bars of their cage and let them use it as a perch. They may start chewing on it and see how good it tastes. Raw broccoli florets (2-3 inches) also wedged between the bars or fastened with a clip. Most budgies love raw broccoli. Don't give up even if they don't touch these treats. Replace with fresh daily. My budgies also like cooked brown rice.

OP
Sweety&Tweety

Sweety&Tweety

Mar 2, 2023
Parrots
I have 2 budgies
Awww! They are so adorable! Very young, too. Try giving them whole leafs of very wet lettuce on a large plate to "play" with- budgies like to roll in wet greens and that may encourage them to nibble too. Wedge a raw carrot or raw celery between the bars of their cage and let them use it as a perch. They may start chewing on it and see how good it tastes. Raw broccoli florets (2-3 inches) also wedged between the bars or fastened with a clip. Most budgies love raw broccoli. Don't give up even if they don't touch these treats. Replace with fresh daily. My budgies also like cooked brown rice.
Thank you so much for your suggestions! I definitely will try the celery stalks and the wet lettuce.

Most Reactions

Latest posts