Budgie Nail Trim Overdue

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Hello Friends,

Cozy is in need of a nail trim for sure. However she is in the middle of a big molt. My avian vet was going to trim her nails this Saturday but Iā€™m concerned about the stress level for her while molting (this will be her first one since we took her home). I bought one of those calcium perches in the hopes she would stand on it and buff her nails down naturally, but she has stood on the thing maybe twice since I put it in her cage about a month ago. Should I just go for it on Saturday or wait til the molt is over? Like I said, This is her first molt with us, maybe even ever (?). How long does a molt typically last? I thought it was only a couple weeks, but it seems to be intensifying over the last week. Her first pin feather showed up about 2.5 maybe 3 weeks ago? Thanks for your help!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hello Friends,

Cozy is in need of a nail trim for sure. However she is in the middle of a big molt. My avian vet was going to trim her nails this Saturday but Iā€™m concerned about the stress level for her while molting (this will be her first one since we took her home). I bought one of those calcium perches in the hopes she would stand on it and buff her nails down naturally, but she has stood on the thing maybe twice since I put it in her cage about a month ago. Should I just go for it on Saturday or wait til the molt is over? Like I said, This is her first molt with us, maybe even ever (?). How long does a molt typically last? I thought it was only a couple weeks, but it seems to be intensifying over the last week. Her first pin feather showed up about 2.5 maybe 3 weeks ago? Thanks for your help!
Maybe you can train her to do it? I've seen some people on YT training their birds to get nail trims.

Ma2s

Oct 3, 2021
PA
Parrots
Timneh-Cape Hybrid,
Blue-crowned Conure
What I do is put the nail grinders in front of the food bowl, and it has worked surprisingly well for me. I would get the nails trimmed, first molts can last for a very long time with some birds. I get my birdsā€™ nails trimmed at a place specifically for birds, so I donā€™t have to stress them out in waiting rooms. As always, vets are there to help you, and they would know about your bird best. Best of luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts