Budgie / parakeet - respiratory infection or..?

Budgie Allex jr.

Dec 13, 2021
United Kingdom
Parrots
Budgie / parakeet
Hi all,
new here! Thanks for an advice and /or tips in an advance.

We have 3 years old budgie (parakeet) called Allex. Very cheeky, lovely, talking, handsome boy. Approx a month ago he started to do strange sound (wheezing?) while eating or preening. Not all the time, but it was noticeable. At the same time he was his old self, playing, talking, eating, drinking- nothing suggesting he may be ill. We gave him Guardian angel, kept watching him and started googling (...). After two days I noticed "clicking" sound while he was sleeping - only at night (yep, took his cage to our room to watch him) and that strange sound (wheeze) was more loud and always when he had his head down (eating, drinking, playing with toys).

We went to see vet (they say they are avian vets). He checked Allex, said it seems to be some respiratory issue and gave him antibiotics Doxycycline 0
02 1x per day foe 2 weeks and Metacam 2x per day 0.02 for 1 week, both orally. I asked for test from poop, blood but was told it is not necessary.

After those 2 weeks on antibiotics and Allex not being very happy with us (always got stressed out even before we tried to catch him, as he knew what's coming) he did not get better. He started to do wheezing sound while breathing during the day (sometimes only, but it was there) and during the night (most of the night). Plus, it was new, after flying (either if he got scared or because he decided to fly like crazy)he developed hard and elevated breathing. So we booked visit at vets again.

Again I asked for tests poop/blood. Was told blood test can be done only if he is put under anaesthesia (??). Vet confirmed that Allex's breathing is more elevated and he can hear it got worst. (At the same time, Allex does not show that he is ill - acts normally etc.) Prescribed antibiotics Marbocyl 0.03 ml 2x per day for 2 weeks and
Metacam 1x per day 0.02 ml for 1 week. Said we have 2 options - to try different antibiotics or to put Allex under anaesthesia and do x-ray and blood test. I opted for antibiotics as I do worry about anaesthesia.

We are on the day 6 of new antibiotics and I don't see any change. (Well, maybe 3% but it may be wishful thinking.)

I still google every night and worry a lot. I am mad at vet not doing any test and "guessing" what is wrong with Allex. We are based in the UK, North West - vets we vent to says they are avian but "the only avian vets" for North West are no go for us - well, they were the first one we reach out to but as we live 50mins from clinic, they will not see us (30 mins only they say).

Apologies for such a long story, I just need an advice what to do. It's hard to be seen by avian vet when there is none close or not accepting new patients.

We may know more if test were done.

I am calm during the day as I try to keep Allex in small cage to save his energy, which he does not understand (he normally is out of cage 10 hours a day) but I go crazy at night when I hear him breathing.

While googling, I found out that Goiter may have similar symptomps - how do I know it's that one? Without tests? Vet says if antibiotics does not help to call in and book anaesthesia & x-ray??

My plan is to treat Allex with iodine after he finishes his antibiotics. Can you give me an advice what should I buy / where to get it please? Hopefully it will be it and is treatable? (I did mention the possibility of Goiter to vet both times..)

On Nov 22 Allex' weight was 45g (in May 44g) and on Dec 10 42g. :-( But he does eat like crazy, no change there..

Thanks a lot and wow, if you are still reading this - I am sorry! ;-)

Martina

Ps: tried to upload files but it says it's too large:-/ so added 2 recent pics :)

Attachments

• 20211206_183447.jpg
    20211206_183447.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 92
  • img_1638814972439.jpg
    img_1638814972439.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 90

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
It does sound Respiratory My budgie Julius Has had respiratory stuff the entire time I've had him. He's been off and off meds for 4 years I understand your dismay You feel like you're losing but he seems to be fine My boy has always been sickly (personally I think he was the result of inbreeding thus my boy's sickliness). I cannot really do anything about It, but I can just tell you my experience and just show that I understand what you're going through.

OP
Budgie Allex jr.

Budgie Allex jr.

Dec 13, 2021
United Kingdom
Parrots
Budgie / parakeet
It does sound Respiratory My budgie Julius Has had respiratory stuff the entire time I've had him. He's been off and off meds for 4 years I understand your dismay You feel like you're losing but he seems to be fine My boy has always been sickly (personally I think he was the result of inbreeding thus my boy's sickliness). I cannot really do anything about It, but I can just tell you my experience and just show that I understand what you're going through.
Hi, I am sorry to hear Julius is not well and for that long! Yes, I feel at ends, especially as it says everywhere that this strange sound may be there for weeks/months and than it goes downhil rapidly - I would like to avoid that!

I forgot to add that even vet said that Allex is very behaved and friendly (he actually let vet handle him both times without sound or movement, like.. chilled out, no stress!) So not sure why he did not want to do blood test :-(

Allex is tamed and talks and never in my whole life was i told so many times "Darling" as I am hearing from Allex - every single day! :) he even changes his voice so if he wants me to give him treat or play youtube (yep!) he says it slowly and if he gets mad he goes like "!!!'Darling!!!". I don't want to loose him, he is like our baby x

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Hi, I am sorry to hear Julius is not well and for that long! Yes, I feel at ends, especially as it says everywhere that this strange sound may be there for weeks/months and than it goes downhil rapidly - I would like to avoid that!

I forgot to add that even vet said that Allex is very behaved and friendly (he actually let vet handle him both times without sound or movement, like.. chilled out, no stress!) So not sure why he did not want to do blood test :-(

Allex is tamed and talks and never in my whole life was i told so many times "Darling" as I am hearing from Allex - every single day! :) he even changes his voice so if he wants me to give him treat or play youtube (yep!) he says it slowly and if he gets mad he goes like "!!!'Darling!!!". I don't want to loose him, he is like our baby x
Yeah i get it.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
what gorgeous birds!
You might ask about respiratory mites, budgie and finches this is more common than seen in other parrits

Dec 9, 2021
Media
Parrots
Moon the budgie (M, 2y.o)
Silvia the budgie (F, 1/2y.o)
It's spelled Silvia not Sylvia
This is probably a respiratory infection. But the clicking sound, can you describe it more, or watch his beak while he makes the noise? It might just be that Allex is grinding his beak. I would recommend seeing other avian vets to see if they say the same thing, because maybe they will recommend a different treatment that will work better and/or faster. Or Allex could just have phlegm in his throat? If he does(Or you think he does), encourage him to drink more water.
I hope he gets better soon!! Good luck 🙏

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
What you really need is a certified avian vet, not just a cat/dog vet that also sees parrots. Especially in subtle cases like this, the difference in a vet that has actually taken courses on Avian physiology and one who has some experience with birds really pays off. Lie, cheat or otherwise finagle your way into seeing such a certified vet. Respiratory issues with parrots are such a big deal, especially stubborn ones like this.
I wish we had collective advice that would hold out better information. Remember, by the time parrots, who are prey animals, show symptoms they are already very sick birdies ( the ones showing outward signs of illness are the ones that get singled out and eaten). I am saying a prayer to the birdie God that you get the help he needs.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Try and a find a new vet. You need a culture sensitivity test. This test bird does not have to be put under anesthesia. For a culture and sensitivity test, both ends are stabbed and put in a container to let bacteria grow. The type of bacteria is is identified and different antibiotics are test to see which work best for the bacteria. I am really sorry your bird is going through this. Call your local rescue if you have one and ask what get they see or if they can offer you an advice. This is the route I've personally taken in the past.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Hi all,
new here! Thanks for an advice and /or tips in an advance.

We have 3 years old budgie (parakeet) called Allex. Very cheeky, lovely, talking, handsome boy. Approx a month ago he started to do strange sound (wheezing?) while eating or preening. Not all the time, but it was noticeable. At the same time he was his old self, playing, talking, eating, drinking- nothing suggesting he may be ill. We gave him Guardian angel, kept watching him and started googling (...). After two days I noticed "clicking" sound while he was sleeping - only at night (yep, took his cage to our room to watch him) and that strange sound (wheeze) was more loud and always when he had his head down (eating, drinking, playing with toys).

We went to see vet (they say they are avian vets). He checked Allex, said it seems to be some respiratory issue and gave him antibiotics Doxycycline 0
02 1x per day foe 2 weeks and Metacam 2x per day 0.02 for 1 week, both orally. I asked for test from poop, blood but was told it is not necessary.

After those 2 weeks on antibiotics and Allex not being very happy with us (always got stressed out even before we tried to catch him, as he knew what's coming) he did not get better. He started to do wheezing sound while breathing during the day (sometimes only, but it was there) and during the night (most of the night). Plus, it was new, after flying (either if he got scared or because he decided to fly like crazy)he developed hard and elevated breathing. So we booked visit at vets again.

Again I asked for tests poop/blood. Was told blood test can be done only if he is put under anaesthesia (??). Vet confirmed that Allex's breathing is more elevated and he can hear it got worst. (At the same time, Allex does not show that he is ill - acts normally etc.) Prescribed antibiotics Marbocyl 0.03 ml 2x per day for 2 weeks and
Metacam 1x per day 0.02 ml for 1 week. Said we have 2 options - to try different antibiotics or to put Allex under anaesthesia and do x-ray and blood test. I opted for antibiotics as I do worry about anaesthesia.

We are on the day 6 of new antibiotics and I don't see any change. (Well, maybe 3% but it may be wishful thinking.)

I still google every night and worry a lot. I am mad at vet not doing any test and "guessing" what is wrong with Allex. We are based in the UK, North West - vets we vent to says they are avian but "the only avian vets" for North West are no go for us - well, they were the first one we reach out to but as we live 50mins from clinic, they will not see us (30 mins only they say).

Apologies for such a long story, I just need an advice what to do. It's hard to be seen by avian vet when there is none close or not accepting new patients.

We may know more if test were done.

I am calm during the day as I try to keep Allex in small cage to save his energy, which he does not understand (he normally is out of cage 10 hours a day) but I go crazy at night when I hear him breathing.

While googling, I found out that Goiter may have similar symptomps - how do I know it's that one? Without tests? Vet says if antibiotics does not help to call in and book anaesthesia & x-ray??

My plan is to treat Allex with iodine after he finishes his antibiotics. Can you give me an advice what should I buy / where to get it please? Hopefully it will be it and is treatable? (I did mention the possibility of Goiter to vet both times..)

On Nov 22 Allex' weight was 45g (in May 44g) and on Dec 10 42g. :-( But he does eat like crazy, no change there..

Thanks a lot and wow, if you are still reading this - I am sorry! ;-)

Martina

Ps: tried to upload files but it says it's too large:-/ so added 2 recent pics :)
How is your budgie doing?

Most Reactions

Latest posts