Two Male Budgies need a new home - NYC

Juuulia

Apr 16, 2024
Parrots
two male budgies, blue and yellow!
Hi all!

I have a question about how to find ethical new parents for my budgies that I need to rehome, with a very heavy heart.

I have two male budgies, Maple and Tobias, who are adorable and healthy and moderately active (only Tobias takes advantage of the always open cage door to fly around, while Maple is a homebody). They're not a bonded pair but they are friendly with one another and never fight! I've had them for about a year and have successfully (painstakingly!) transitioned them to a chopped fresh veggie and pellet diet, with millet only as a treat for luring them to sit on my finger. They're so sweet!

But. My personal life has gotten chaotic and I'm going to be moving around a bunch for the next few months, and I'm not sure where I'll land once things calm down for me again. So I think I have to give these two cuties up for adoption. I'm wondering what tips people have from personal experience for finding an ethical new owner? I don't want to give them away to someone who doesn't know how to care for them properly, or worse yet someone who will try to sell them for money. What forums should I be posting on, or what other avenues should I be exploring? I live in nyc if that's relevant.
maple_tobias1.png

Thanks for any feedback.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi all!

I have a question about how to find ethical new parents for my budgies that I need to rehome, with a very heavy heart.

I have two male budgies, Maple and Tobias, who are adorable and healthy and moderately active (only Tobias takes advantage of the always open cage door to fly around, while Maple is a homebody). They're not a bonded pair but they are friendly with one another and never fight! I've had them for about a year and have successfully (painstakingly!) transitioned them to a chopped fresh veggie and pellet diet, with millet only as a treat for luring them to sit on my finger. They're so sweet!

But. My personal life has gotten chaotic and I'm going to be moving around a bunch for the next few months, and I'm not sure where I'll land once things calm down for me again. So I think I have to give these two cuties up for adoption. I'm wondering what tips people have from personal experience for finding an ethical new owner? I don't want to give them away to someone who doesn't know how to care for them properly, or worse yet someone who will try to sell them for money. What forums should I be posting on, or what other avenues should I be exploring? I live in nyc if that's relevant.
View attachment 58836
Thanks for any feedback.

Welcome to the forums, @Juuulia, but I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I wonder if it might help you to contact avian vets in your area about rehoming your birds? Some avian vets will take them in, mine here in Australia very likely would, and sometimes they also know of trusted clients of theirs who are looking to adopt. The following link might help you find some vets in your area who may be able to help ...

I wish you and your little ones all the best!

OP
Juuulia

Juuulia

Apr 16, 2024
Parrots
Thank you for that resource!! I just reached out to all three centers listed for New York City--unfortunately none of them can help me with rehoming. I would still appreciate any additional advice/tips from other forum users!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You can try contacting the Long Island Parrot Society - they have an adoption program. LIPS.ORG, tell them that AL M and Salty sent you there.

OP
Juuulia

Juuulia

Apr 16, 2024
Parrots
Thank you for the tip on Long Island Parrot Society! I'm looking into them now. Btw the URL is actually www.liparrots.org

Most Reactions

Latest posts