Budgies are afraid of the nesting box, what should i do?

Lenka

Sep 11, 2022
Czech Republic
Parrots
Budgies Loki & Aria, cockatiel Rory
Hi, I am sorry in advance for my english, I'm from Czech Republic.

Few days ago, I gave my budgies (Loki and Aria, both of them are older than 1 year) a nesting box, 'cause they are often kissing, Loki feeding Aria (and other things I don't know how to say in english) and I wanted to try to breed them. I spent a lot of time searching for everything about breeding budgies, but there are few things I couldn't find answers for.

The nesting box is made from wood, it's just a normal nesting boy you can buy in a pet store, i just made the etrance a little bigger. I know it's just a few days ago and they are first timers, but they are afraid to go in the nesting box, they aren't scared around the box, but they never went inside. They are in their own cage (more like little home aviary), because i don't have any other budgies.

Can someone please help me what to do?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My Cockatiels refused to use a wooden nest box.
They accepted and used a nest box out of cardboard.
make sure to double reinforce the bottom as the parents may chew at the bottom and weaken it.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
From what I remember my budgies were afraid of their nest box too. I think they need just more time.

Ps. Don't worry about English, we have much more people whose first language isn't English ;)

OP
L

Lenka

Sep 11, 2022
Czech Republic
Parrots
From what I remember my budgies were afraid of their nest box too. I think they need just more time.

Ps. Don't worry about English, we have much more people whose first language isn't English ;)
Thanks for advice :)

OP
L

Lenka

Sep 11, 2022
Czech Republic
Parrots
My Cockatiels refused to use a wooden nest box.
They accepted and used a nest box out of cardboard.
make sure to double reinforce the bottom as the parents may chew at the bottom and weaken it.
Thank you for advice :)

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
2 year old green parakeet named Byrdie.
Hi, I am sorry in advance for my english, I'm from Czech Republic.

Few days ago, I gave my budgies (Loki and Aria, both of them are older than 1 year) a nesting box, 'cause they are often kissing, Loki feeding Aria (and other things I don't know how to say in english) and I wanted to try to breed them. I spent a lot of time searching for everything about breeding budgies, but there are few things I couldn't find answers for.

The nesting box is made from wood, it's just a normal nesting boy you can buy in a pet store, i just made the etrance a little bigger. I know it's just a few days ago and they are first timers, but they are afraid to go in the nesting box, they aren't scared around the box, but they never went inside. They are in their own cage (more like little home aviary), because i don't have any other budgies.

Can someone please help me what to do?
I know this is a year late, but I put a 4" section of millet in my nest box after they avoided it for a week. They went right in!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thanks for advice :)
This is totally normal for first time breeders. It often takes weeks if not months for budgies who are inexperienced to figure out what the nest box is and to overcome their initial fear of the box. If you are certain you have a male and a female (post pictures and we will tell you) of prime breeding age (one year to four years old) just give them time. If they are truly a bonded pair interested in breeding, they will get over any fear and be unable to control their urge to start inspecting the nest box. First, the female look inside. After a while, she will enter the box and exit quicky, but will do this again and again until she starts spending more time inside the box. The male may peek his head inside to see what she's doing, and eventually he may also enter, but not always. Once the female has decided she approves of the box she will spend a lot of time inside chewing the wood and scratching around. Some people provide nesting material but my budgies rejected everything I put into their boxes as "nesting material" . The female would toss it all out the opening. If she accepts the box and the two of them mate, she should start laying eggs about 7 to 10 days after a successful mating but it's very hard to tell when a mating has actually been successful. Budgies mate frequently, even while the female is laying her eggs, but it only takes one successful mating to fertilize an entire clutch of eggs. Once the egg laying is finished and she's active brooding she only leaves the box to poop (huge wet ones), eat, drink, and stretch her wings. She may also mate again during her breaks. Speaking of huge wet poops, about a week to 10 days before a female starts laying eggs she begins to pass very large, very wet poops. I don't know if it's because she was fertilized but I've never had a female pass these kind of poops unless she was going to start laying eggs. The female will not poop in her nest box.
During the period before, during and after egg laying, make sure both the male and female have lots of nutritious foods available. Sprouted seeds are terrific for breeding budgies. The male will feed the female while she's brooding, so he needs to eat a lot. His ability to satisfy her appetite is very important as she and her chicks will be dependent on him for food. She will reject a male as a breeding mate if he doesn't feed her well. After the chicks hatch he will be feeding her and she will be feeding the chicks. The babies eat a lot, so he needs a lot of food. As soon as the mother allows him into the box he will also feed the chicks.

I 100% hand raised a budgie from hatching (the Mama couldn't take care of the eggs or chicks for medical reasons) and was amazed at how much one baby budgie ate! I couldn't imagine the stress on the parent birds having to feed a nest of six hungry babies!

Most Reactions

Latest posts