Budgies' Medical Questions... please help!

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Hello. I am posting another thread after the last thread about death of my beloved male Vitko in january.
Vitko s partner Cicinka ( albino female budgie ) was nesting pretty long time. She has 4 babies with Vitko, 2 of them were gifted to one family, another 2 stayed with us. Cicinka was bough in november 2018 with red eyes, but not just naturally red eyes of albino budgie, but she also had chlamydia. Also my last 2 budgie males Vitko and Bilko who died were found chlamydiossis positive.
Whereas Vitko and Bilko were found positive, I did another 45 days doxycicline treatment against chlamydiosis. Then I gave my budgies some probiotics in the water after the antibiotics treatment.

Cicinka is such strange budgie. She is not very healthly budgie, sometimes she makes noises like squeezing, or how to say it, mainly when I disturb her in the night with a light. She is more apathic during the day after she left the bird box. She is eating, probably also drinking. when she is disturbed by young budgies, she reacts, but then goes back to her sleepy position. Maybe she got some fatty liver during being in the bird box. She is like sleepy, but not much fluffy. Her poops looks normal, but during the night she has a little greenish - yellowish small wet areas around the poops.

I will try to send the pictures of those poops here.
Despite 2 doxycicline treatments on chlamydiossis, she still has red eyes, like inflammated. She does not seem to be thin or loosing weight, I think.
My vet.recommended me to interrupt the probiotics treatment now and give her iodine solution into the water, maybe together with calcium.

I can not get to my vet this month probably, because the boundaries are closed and I will not enter the Czech republic from Slovakia.
I also do not know whether it is bad for Cicinka when she is often disturbed by young budgies ( her children ). The thyroid is not enlarged such much that my vet was able to feel it by touching. I feed my budgies mainly good quality seeds, some basil during last days, carrot or apple. I was recommended to skip any wet food for a few days to see the poops and their image.
Maybe I should give sprouted seeds in the iodine solution.

Can anybody advise me in this problem? I will try to add the pictures of those poops from the night. thank you.

Attachments

• Cicinkin trus 18. 3. 2020.jpg
    Cicinkin trus 18. 3. 2020.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,491

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not a Budgie expert by any means.

But to a great degree, bird poop is bird poop. I zoomed your photo and the overall appearance based on volume of each segment look appropriate. Regarding color, I would like to see the white segment whiter, and the green segment a lighter green color. Clearly your budgie is drink as there would be less moisture as part of the poop.

As a general statement, your Budgie appears to be fighting something and that something likely is effecting the kidney /liver.

If you can call your Vet and/or email the photos can be helpful and getting clarity to what you are seeing.

I would recommend that you separate your girl from the younger bird, so that she is not wasting energy avoiding them.

Watch for labored breathing and/or tail pumping as they are signs of an infection in the air sacks (lungs).

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Hi, Ivan,

I'm giving your thread a boost in view of the important and scary medical issues. I'm also changing the title in hopes it may increase traffic and interest in the issues you face, which really seem to me to be of much broader scope than just hormones.

Best of luck to you and yours!

OP
I

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
I was talking with my vet. She told me that whereas I was giving my budgies doxycycline for 45 days, there can not be any infection. She told me to give that iodine now. That color of the poop can be changed by antibiotics which are eliminating the healthy gut bacteria.
IF it is not infection or thyroid problem, I have to chance to find out what is that.
She might have a fatty liver from nesting a long time. Do the albino budgies suffer such problems more?

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
Do the albino budgies suffer such problems more?

Hi Ivan

I have kept all of 23 budgies (not at a single point of time) during my childhood and in my experience yes Albinos (and perhaps Lutinos, Spangles and other red eye groups) suffer far more health issues than the Normal black eye coloured birds with wild type or opaline plumage.

In my experience the healthier birds were the Blues followed by the Greens (a mixed bag) and then by the Spangles and last the Albinos. But 23 is a limited sample size. But I have noticed this among others who keep budgies too. Albinos and lutinos in particular seem to have more problems.

OP
I

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Hello, Cardinal. Thanks for your experience. What do you mean by the " 23 is a limited sample size"?

I do not know what is spangle, but does the color have any connection with the health? My oldest budgie male Kukuciacik ( 13 years old ) was blue green colored, did not have no problems during his life, at the last he suffered chronic kidney failure, but otherwise he was totally OK. My purple blue male Vitko had sudden leucemia - lymphoma of the liver and spleen. how can it happen? How? Leukemic virus? Dr. Ross Perry from Australia thinks that.
Well, I am giving my female budgie Cicinka iodine now, I think it could help on the potential thyroid problem.
Can you post me some picture of the typical healthly budgie color which might have a good healh? Thank you.

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
What I mean by 23 is an extremely limited sample size is that it should not be used to extrapolate

Of the 23 budgies I had

5 were blue
12 were green
5 were albinos
and 1 was Spangle White

Out of my 5 blue birds 4 were perfectly healthy - 2 were Opaline Sky-blue, 2 were Opaline Cobalt- almost violet but not quite.

Out of the 5 albinos it was the reverse- 4 had some health problem or the other- eye, feather etc

Of the 12 greens - 4 were unhealthy.

But it is not good to make any conclusions based on such a sample size.
But I am quite convinced Albinos are on an average much more prone to health issues than Green and Blue birds.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I don't think budgies need wet food, and wet food grows nasties very quick.
The poops have extra urine, that why are wet, not completely normal. There is also more urates the white part than poop the dark part, maybe due to much moisture in food, or a kidney issue, or not eating enough food. Or combinations of those.
For sure I would stop feeding wet food. I would feed seeds free choice, and offger leafy veggies, veggies, and very rare fruit, no citrus fruit.

Last edited:
OP
I

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Cardinal, you probably mean that 0 of 12 greens were unhealthy? Ok. Thanks for the statistics.

OP
I

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Laurasea, I mean probably wet foot like carrots, apples.... Green leefy are also wet foods.
At least one of 2 young budgies also has some similar tiny wetty spots around the poops in the night. Maybe during a day it is ok. Otherwise the poops are normal. Maybe due to giving them antibiotics, there are some some signs of missing probiotics....
There are not signs of kidney problem. Maybe she was nesting too much and that exhausted her. I was told that supporting the possible fatty liver is possible through giving Cicinka an iodine solution, and it will take few weeks.

OP
I

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Those occassional sounds, maybe in the night... could be connected with thyroid, but no bacterial infection,whereas all my budgies were given 45 antibiotics treatment recently-

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ok great that wet foods just means veggies!
https://petcentral.chewy.com/all-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-bird-poop/

https://www.thesprucepets.com/bird-poop-101-390429

https://www.herebird.com/parrot-poop/
Your parrot’s droppings are made up of three different excretions. As birdtricks.com explains: “The three parts are the feces, which is the green or brown solid matter of the dropping, the urates, which are the white to cream colored by-product of the kidney, and the urine which is clear fluid, the watery waste of the kidneys.”
Bird Urine Problems
Parrot’s urine should be clear, common issues include:

Green or yellow urine

Indicates potential liver disease.

Red urine

Internal bleeding that is occurring low in the digestive tract can indicate lead poisoning or kidney disease.

Increased urine output

Excessive drinking may indicate a bacterial disease.

Bird Urate Crystals
Urates are crystals mixed with the liquid urine but can often be distinguished as a separate entity in the droppings. While normally appearing white or cream colored these abnormalities may be noticed:

Green or Yellow urates

Can indicate liver disease or anorexia.

Brown

Possible lead poisoning.

Red

Kidney disease or fresh internal bleeding.

Increased rates

Dehydration and possible kidney problems.

Last edited:
OP
I

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
I would not be able to read all those sites you posted, there is also a chart on google about poops, but this my photo is a photo of poops from Cicinka from the night... The day poops are ok. My vet. doctor saw this photo and she did not tell me nothing about increased rates in that. By that chart possible kidney problem looks like a blurred ( fuzzy) white part... The antibiotics can affect the organs, but they were necessary, maybe during second treatment it was mostly a prevention.
But she really did not tell me nothign about not normal urates in the poops. So nothing indicates kidney problem.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Budgie normal poops are dry. Edit: very small amount of liquid is ok...

Last edited:
OP
I

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Laurasea, ok, I will not message to you on this problem, if you do not know. The liquid on the poops during the night is tiny, not large wet spots, but also Cicinka s daughter ( probably ) did a large poop during the night with such a spot, maybe due to wanting nesting ). The other budgies do not show such wet spots. But I did not notice such increased uratic part in the poop. I am not able to compate what is normal uratic part and what not.

OP
I

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
GaleriaGila, what do you mean by that broader scope? Just hormonal or thyroid problems do not look like this? But nobody of you saw my budgie in reality, so I know it is hard to name that.

OP
I

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Here is the newest poop of my budgie Cicinka from the last night.

Attachments

• Trus Cicinky 21. 3. 2020.jpg
    Trus Cicinky 21. 3. 2020.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 145

Most Reactions

Latest posts