Burned milk and cocoa power, should I worry?!

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 cockatiel, 1 canary winged parakeet
My daughter decided she was going to make dessert. We often make home made hot cocoa together with milk, cocoa powder and sugar as the only ingredients. I was back and forth helping my son with his homework and she turned to the stove to high. I didn’t realize this, and the mixture overflowed the pan. It was a stainless steel pan, that’s ALL we own. Needless to say the milk burned when it overflowed. I opened every window in the house, except for the windows in her bedroom where the bird is. Her bedroom is always kept closed so the cats do not get in and has been that way forever. Should I be worried that the smell will bother him? Keep in mind the bird is literally on the complete opposite end, single story, about 40 feet away. The kitchen has a door to close it off, so I did that as well as turn the exhaust fan before running around like a nut in 40 degree weather opening literally 14 windows. There doesn’t seem to be any burnt smell in her bedroom but I’m sure I have some nose blindness going on. I don’t want to open her windows because that would cause a really fast temperature fluctuation and I know he can’t handle that much of a swing that fast...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
As long as the place doesn't smell like burned stuff strongly and you opened windows right away, you are probably good.

Jasmine333

Dec 7, 2019
Media
Oklahoma
Parrots
Green and Yellow Male Budgie
As long as you opened windows and turned the exhaust on things should be ok. Do you have any ceiling fans? Turn them on too. Since you closed off the kitchen and keeping Skye warm that's good. Just watch him for a while. Since it wasn't a grease fire ya'll should be ok.

OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
Skye seems completely unaffected by the hot cocoa disaster. Thank goodness! He’s quite happy this morning munching on his seed and pellets. Well...he picks out the pellets but eats the seeds.

We are so attached to this little guy already, I was so worried.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Better to be overly worried than under-worried. You will get more relaxed in general as time progresses, but burned stuff and chemicals are always important to address ASAP (as you did).

OP
I
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
Better to be overly worried than under-worried. You will get more relaxed in general as time progresses, but burned stuff and chemicals are always important to address ASAP (as you did).

True...all of it! It was a total Oh Shoot moment. The kitchen smelled horrible my daughter was crying, the stove was a mess. And there I was freaking out about the bird. This morning it’s almost comical but last night it was total panic mode.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

True...all of it! It was a total Oh Shoot moment. The kitchen smelled horrible my daughter was crying, the stove was a mess. And there I was freaking out about the bird. This morning it’s almost comical but last night it was total panic mode.

But honestly, at the same time, that panic mode may have saved your bird.
More than once, I have been told I was "overreacting" until my family members heard and saw an audible wheeze due to exposure to something silly....Panic sucks, but it has its role lol.
Burned stuff is dangerous for them, so your response was appropriate (even though it seems silly now). Burned milk smokes---set off smoke alarms all through an apartment of mine in college when a neighbor burned it 3 units down.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts