CAG diet daily - can i give green chillies and guava

Mustu

Apr 17, 2018
My CAG of 18 months, with us since 10 days only eats apple, and sugar cane and peanuts in shell. And sunflower seeds. I offer vegetables such as carrot, salad, gourd, pumpkin and he says NO. Doesn't touch even. What shall I do? Can I give guava and green chillies? I am based in Karachi/Pakistan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Green Chilies are excellent sources of vitamins. My parrot Salty, loves all peppers, the hotter the better, parrots have few taste buds compared to humans. Apples are pretty empty of vitamins and provide sugars mostly. Sunflower seeds are not good him, mostly fats, which will bring on fatty liver disease in later life. Peanuts are similar, and have the added down side of carrying deadly spores in and outside the shell. Try to wean him off those 2 things, by slowly reducing the availability of them to you parrot. Pakistan has many vegetable variants which should be offered, after you check to see they are OK for him. Things like Avocado are deadly to them.

Good for you for seeking advice for your Grey, they can live to 60+ years, if their diet is good and they have good human relationships! Welcome to Parrotforums!

OP
M

Mustu

Apr 17, 2018
Green Chilies are excellent sources of vitamins. My parrot Salty, loves all peppers, the hotter the better, parrots have few taste buds compared to humans. Apples are pretty empty of vitamins and provide sugars mostly. Sunflower seeds are not good him, mostly fats, which will bring on fatty liver disease in later life. Peanuts are similar, and have the added down side of carrying deadly spores in and outside the shell. Try to wean him off those 2 things, by slowly reducing the availability of them to you parrot. Pakistan has many vegetable variants which should be offered, after you check to see they are OK for him. Things like Avocado are deadly to them.

Good for you for seeking advice for your Grey, they can live to 60+ years, if their diet is good and they have good human relationships! Welcome to Parrotforums!

How about Guavas.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I found credible evidence that parrots eat guavas in the wild.

Yeah, what Mr. Wrench said... all chiles are great. Peppers are a great source of vitamins AND they're easy to offer.
Common wisdom is that parrots have such poor taste and smell that hot peppers really excite and stimulate them. And they're very healthy (lots of good green and great nutrents)! So I give the Rickeybird lots! The only downside... when he eats a pepper, then preens, then wants to cudddle, it's a very incendiary experience.
I buy several kinds...
Poblanos, to stuff the end between the bars tightly (above a perch) so the Rbird can nibble at his leisure.
Jalapenos and Serranos, to toss into the cage's snack-bowl, to trick him into entering so I can shut the door. There's no such thing as a chile that isn't good for them. If he absolutely does NOT want to go back into his cage, a big fat Anaheim will always do the trick.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Guavas and chilis are both healthy to feed. Be sure to wash all fruits and vegetables thoroughly before giving to your bird. Don't give up on the other veggies either. Keep trying them every so often, as parrots taste and preference change frequently! You may also want to try offering them in different 'sizes' (i.e. large chunks, finely chopped etc...). Parrots are notoriously picky things and often they will reject say a carrot stick but will eat some chopped up carrots. It's also safe to lightly steam (and completely cool before feeding) veggies too. Some birds like them mushy.

OP
M

Mustu

Apr 17, 2018
Can I give plain boiled rice ?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Rice, quinoa, millet and other grains are all safe to feed provided they are fully cooked and allowed to cool down. In fact, a parrot fed fresh foods such as grains, beans (also fully cooked and cooled), fruit and veg is significantly healthier than one of dry food, be it seed mix or pellets. Both seeds and pellets are fine to feed, but neither should really be the bulk of a birds diet. Variety is key!

OP
M

Mustu

Apr 17, 2018

Is your parrot a CAG or Ring neck

OP
M

Mustu

Apr 17, 2018
Guavas and chilis are both healthy to feed. Be sure to wash all fruits and vegetables thoroughly before giving to your bird. Don't give up on the other veggies either. Keep trying them every so often, as parrots taste and preference change frequently! You may also want to try offering them in different 'sizes' (i.e. large chunks, finely chopped etc...). Parrots are notoriously picky things and often they will reject say a carrot stick but will eat some chopped up carrots. It's also safe to lightly steam (and completely cool before feeding) veggies too. Some birds like them mushy.

Rice, Guavas and chillis apply to all parrots or only Indian ring necks? I have a CAG that's why asking. Someone told me that chillis are good only for Indian ring necks. CAG who are grown on hand feed are not adaptive to chillis, honey melon and rice and may have disgestion issues because of them

Most Reactions