CAG first vet appointment, was I scammed?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Genuinely terrified Sagan is going to die, ive convinced myself he has PDD, and the vet just hasn’t convinced himself yet. I read an article that Greys with PDD always have elevated AST and CK. So yah, I’m a mess. And I have to have someone else take him because I’m stuck in surgery that was supposed to be over an hour ago. So many people on here talk about their birds dying so easily and quickly and I’m really scared that I won’t be able to cope.

I have grown extremely fond of this bird, and have wanted a grey for so long.

Ugh. Terrified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry-- try not to let yourself go there, but DO share the articles with your vet. You can test for PDD--- and there are false negatives, but if your bird is negative and you still think he has it, it's likely not as serious (although it could be)...If he has it but tests negative. ABV is not technically PDD, but ABV (they believe) often becomes PDD.

Have you read about ABV? A bird can spread it and live a normal lifespan if it never becomes super symptomatic-- but you still have to be super careful about exposure to other birds (as there would be in a boarding situation).

Last edited:
OP
saganismyhero

saganismyhero

Dec 24, 2020
NYC/NJ
Parrots
Sagan (3, CAG), Zola (1, YS GCC), Brando (5, pineapple GCC)
I'm sorry-- try not to let yourself go there, but DO share the articles with your vet. You can test for PDD--- and there are false negatives, but if your bird is negative and you still think he has it, it's likely not as serious (although it could be)...If he has it but tests negative.

Most sources believe ABV becomes PDD-- have you read about ABV?

I have, extensively, I have access to medical journals since I’m a medical professional. I honestly think he is perplexed but has an idea, now entirely sure if he’s tested for it, but he did ask me about how his poop looks. So far, poop is fine, he just is a bit anorexic and struggles with eating enough. I am only realizing this now with more research.

The thing that leads me to believe he has PDD is how high his CPK levels are, they are almost 4000 which is off the charts. What else could be causing consistent high levels of both CPK and AST? My trauma and nerve theory is plausible, but like ive said in previous posts, he struggles with moving around; and I just thought it was because he was stuck on one perch, and maybe he developed atrophy from no exercise? But it wouldn’t be so prevalent and he’s been flying around like crazy the past week.

There’s also a theory that he was terrified when getting his blood drawn, and maybe that elevated it.

I guess I just have to go through with the biopsy and the radiographs and see what comes of it. Just anxious as hell.

And my vet is cool he knows I work in medicine and is cool with me discussing stuff with him. I have probably been driving him crazy though.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I'm sorry-- try not to let yourself go there, but DO share the articles with your vet. You can test for PDD--- and there are false negatives, but if your bird is negative and you still think he has it, it's likely not as serious (although it could be)...If he has it but tests negative.

Most sources believe ABV becomes PDD-- have you read about ABV?

I have, extensively, I have access to medical journals since I’m a medical professional. I honestly think he is perplexed but has an idea, now entirely sure if he’s tested for it, but he did ask me about how his poop looks. So far, poop is fine, he just is a bit anorexic and struggles with eating enough. I am only realizing this now with more research.

The thing that leads me to believe he has PDD is how high his CPK levels are, they are almost 4000 which is off the charts. What else could be causing consistent high levels of both CPK and AST? My trauma and nerve theory is plausible, but like ive said in previous posts, he struggles with moving around; and I just thought it was because he was stuck on one perch, and maybe he developed atrophy from no exercise? But it wouldn’t be so prevalent and he’s been flying around like crazy the past week.

There’s also a theory that he was terrified when getting his blood drawn, and maybe that elevated it.

I guess I just have to go through with the biopsy and the radiographs and see what comes of it. Just anxious as hell.

And my vet is cool he knows I work in medicine and is cool with me discussing stuff with him. I have probably been driving him crazy though.

Well, my uncle's Gray had ABV and then PDD but he lived 40 years (and while that is lower than average, it's still a long time). They tested for it like 10 years before he passed, and found out he had it, but he still lived a long time after. **still contagious to others...so don't negate that**

Last edited:
OP
saganismyhero

saganismyhero

Dec 24, 2020
NYC/NJ
Parrots
That’s awesome, definitely gives me some solace, especially since Sagan does not appear to be extremely ill. I can still do something about it. I guess I just have anxiety because anything can happen and I have read hundreds of threads on different forums of peoples Greys just suddenly dying.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hopefully the biopsy and radiographs will lead to cogent diagnosis, fully treatable with no diminution of lifespan. Sagan is so fortunate to have a loving and eminently knowledgeable parront!

I would advocate for wing clipping in advance of repeated capture for meds. Sagan's stress level must be off the charts and he is sufficiently intelligent to know precisely what follows each event. He's likely to be more compliant knowing there is less drama leading to each treatment.

Just now catching up, you've been on a wild ride, hope some positive answers forthcoming!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
my prayers with you. Safe procedures, and good news, fingers crossed. We understand tge special power of parrot love.

Always explain things to him, apologizing to, and helps that he can predict what's going to happen even if un pleasant.

OP
saganismyhero

saganismyhero

Dec 24, 2020
NYC/NJ
Parrots
The lesions have almost entirely healed!!!!!! We didn’t have to do the biopsy!!!!! I’m so happy!

OP
saganismyhero

saganismyhero

Dec 24, 2020
NYC/NJ
Parrots
I really mean it when I say thank you so much for the support the past week on here, I genuinely needed it because everyone in my actual life was against me adopting a Grey to begin with so I needed the moral support LOL

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Fantastic outcome, 2021 is racking up some impressive saves!!

Is that sarcasm?! Haha

Oh no, good to see positive outcomes following the mayhem of 2020. We see all manner of "case studies" at PF and genuinely celebrate success.

Or did I jump the gun on Sagan? If healing is mostly complete and no biopsy necessary, is other intervention anticipated?

OP
saganismyhero

saganismyhero

Dec 24, 2020
NYC/NJ
Parrots
We are just looking into another round of blood work.

But he’s been so lethargic today it’s been weird, who knows.

But I just meant after what happened last night haha

Most Reactions

Latest posts