CAG is scared of me touching her feet

threat2society

Jan 10, 2023
Lithuania
Parrots
my CAG bruknė !! ( Lingonberry in english LOL )
I got a CAG a few days ago from a breeder ( I wanted to rescue one but i barely even found CAGs for sale in here, no one keeps parrots around here ) and right away i could tell she was very scared of human touch. but on the first day, while i was sitting nearby, she lowered her head and let me scratch her little head. my heart melted ❤️. it's been a few days and she's very accepting of head scratches, and really wants to get out of her cage. everytime i bring her food she always tries to escape lol. I don't want to let her out yet because she's very scared of stepping up. everytime i offer my hand she backs up. one time she was on the walls of her cage and had something in her beak so she couldn't move and i offered my hand and she thought my hand was a perch and as soon as she saw that my hand, in fact, was not a perch she made like a screaming sound and flew off. not loud, but i could tell she was scared. what should i do?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Good for you! Does she take treats from your hand? If yes. let her come to the door of the cage and sit on the opening. Start by offering a treat from there and then after a few days put your "perch" hand between her and the treat so she has to step on your hand to get it. Gradually increase the distance. It may take awhile for her to learn this, but greys are so smart, she may learn it in 1 session.

Keep the treat small. I cut pine nuts into 1/3's for my training sessions with Salty.

OP
threat2society

threat2society

Jan 10, 2023
Lithuania
Parrots
my CAG bruknė !! ( Lingonberry in english LOL )
Good for you! Does she take treats from your hand? If yes. let her come to the door of the cage and sit on the opening. Start by offering a treat from there and then after a few days put your "perch" hand between her and the treat so she has to step on your hand to get it. Gradually increase the distance. It may take awhile for her to learn this, but greys are so smart, she may learn it in 1 session.

Keep the treat small. I cut pine nuts into 1/3's for my training sessions with Salty.
thank you so much !!! I've tried it and she was hesitant at first, but for a second she stepped up with one foot:) I'll keep trying ❤️

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
That is very encouraging. Keep it up. Remember with any training, be consistent in how you ask for the action, be immediate with the treat and be patient!!

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Mine is fine with me touching her feet. But it is on her terms. As is everything with a CAG.

Most Reactions

Latest posts