Cage Attachment

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
So I rotated the toys & sort of rearranged Bella's cage. Problem is now she loves her cage sooo much! Hahn's Macaws are known for being playful and loving their toys but Bella has a crazy attachment to them (in my head atleast). She is so happy in her cage now I have to coax her to come out. It almost drives me crazy. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Printer bird

Jan 4, 2011
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Dipper, 8 year old WC Pionus
RIP Charlie, Green Cheek Conure,
Lelu, parrotlet and
Poe the budgie.
I might be suggesting things that you have already tried but I would set up a play area with toys outside of the cage, maybe her favorite toy could be there? Maybe set up some foraging toys for when she's outside the cage, those can be fun and keep her busy and enjoying out of cage time. You could also try treats and see if you can offer her a treat every time she comes out of the cage. I had the opposite problem with my conure and we had to use treats to coax him back IN the cage. Now he goes in no problem although it took a few weeks. :) I hope someone with a hahn's macaw who has had this issue can offer you more species specific advice.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Mishka has 5 favourite toys.
Each week I remove one and place it outside his cage, the take another and place it in the cage.
At night, one of the other favourite toys is left on the floor for him to play with.

OP
birdiemomma

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
Thanks Antoinette & Printer Bird.
It's weird as this has just started up with the latest batch of her new toys. I can already target which one it is and will take it out tonight. She will come out of her cage if I leave the door open but she doesn't want to step up often to come out of her cage. I gave her foraging toys but she just kind of looks at them... it's weird haha!

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Cal adores her toys and I am reduced to changing them about weekly now she loves it so much! She has her shop/sleep cage and her biiiiig play den. I swap toys between these.

I don't know if this is any help, but what she loves most, is her MASSIVE natural branch. This is so big it has to be attached to the outside of her play den. I hang toys from the branches and she is on there like a shot lol. Maybe if Bella's cage is big enough to handle a huuuge perch then you could hang these fave toys on them?

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I wish my birdies' toys lasted a week! They get new ones as quickly as I can make them.

OP
birdiemomma

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
Bella is quite the chewer but her toys last for months. I'm verrrry lucky! Von, I will definitely look into getting a huge manzanita branch or something for outside of her cage with toys. I change Bella's toys about once a month and she loves it :D Yesterday she begged to come out with me so I had her out for about 5-6 hours and she was happy as could be.

Most Reactions

Latest posts