Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie

A&E Cage Company Black 600A Economy Dome Top Cage​

So to start off, I got this cage for under half the retail price from a 3rd party seller on Amazon. This cage price is originally 230$ and I got mine at 99$ USD. So I will not mention pricing.

Lets begin!

Size

The size is alright. It is the minimum for cockatiels and I will only use it ~5 months a year for the summer. But if you want a decently sized cage that looks nice, this cage is good. However, setting up the interior (perches, toys, etc.) is a splinter in my eye. It is super irritating to find an arrangement that looks good, functions well, and is comfortable. It will drive you crazy at times. Aside from that, I rate the size a 6/10.

Design

It is aesthetically pleasing and looks great BUT there are a few flaws that can be off putting. Some parts can bow if you are NOT careful with storing it (the roof bowed in storage, more than in shipping so I had to fix it and the back panel warped a bit so I also had to fix it).

it has an open top that you can use as a stand, but trust me when I say DO NOT USE IT. Any open top bird cage is a huge hazard since the dowel could fall and slam down onto your bird and kill it. I have heard too many stories of these tragedies. However, this flaw does have a silver lining and does make rearranging easier!

The side doors are lovely and make giving food and water to a hormonal little turd MUCH easier.

The front door is LOVELY! It is absolutely HUGE! Perfect for a long cockatiel tail!

The bar spacing is suitable for cockatiels. Nothing smaller.

Overall design wise, I would rate this a 7/10

Security

Overall this is a super secure cage. The side doors canā€™t be picked open by cockatiels which is really nice, the iron bars are nice and sturdy, and the front door is a bit tough to open due to how it latches. Overall, 10/10 for security.

Convenience

This cage is rather convenient and works well. If you want to move the cage around, this bad boy moves cleaner than butter. If you want a large tabletop cage, this sucker can pop off its stand and be used as a table top cage but doesnā€™t exactly look very pretty if it is utilized that way. Want a cage that looks good in most spots? This is your cage. Got a bitey, flighty, or overexcited bird that will bite your hand when changing the food? This cage has you covered. Donā€™t want your bird making soup? This cage may have that solution (Rico used to drop food in his water but he never does it when the dishes are on the opposite sides of the cage.) this cage is useful and pretty convenient while still being good in functionality. 9/10 for convenience

accessories

This cage comes with 2 dowels and 2 bowls. Itā€™s basic but has some issues. The bowls are quite deep and designed more for amazons or African greys than small birds. This poses a few issues like drowning, food waste, nesting, food/water contamination, etc. Rico is a bit bigger than the average cockatiel so he does just fine with a deep water bowl but my friendā€™s bird for example is a cockatiel much smaller than your average cockatiel. His cockatiel would have a drowning risk with this bowl, making it too dangerous to have in his cage. The food dish is super wasteful unless you modify itā€¦ which is exactly what I did! I traced them cut out cardboard circles and put them in the bowl until it was 3 or so inches deep. Works like a charm!

The dowels are good but like 2 inches wide or something and arenā€™t exactly suited for small parrots but they do work alright

So for accessories Iā€™d give it a 5/10

Overall rating?

I would give this cage a 7/10. Itā€™s good but not perfect, thatā€™s for sure.

Attachments

• 00791640-3BFD-4769-94AB-D20ECB9BADA5.jpeg
    00791640-3BFD-4769-94AB-D20ECB9BADA5.jpeg
    530.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 44A5023C-F9A2-42DB-8149-53751DF870CE.jpeg
    44A5023C-F9A2-42DB-8149-53751DF870CE.jpeg
    537.4 KB · Views: 39
  • D5B09860-C4A0-46FC-BCA0-0041C1F857C9.jpeg
    D5B09860-C4A0-46FC-BCA0-0041C1F857C9.jpeg
    462.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 5AF3A1CD-9F9C-4884-927E-8BA0462D4829.png
    5AF3A1CD-9F9C-4884-927E-8BA0462D4829.png
    315.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 72A4CB84-C11F-44C3-B397-096D48073670.jpeg
    72A4CB84-C11F-44C3-B397-096D48073670.jpeg
    641.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 3B0CB2BA-8502-47C2-AA03-78DAC8B5D646.jpeg
    3B0CB2BA-8502-47C2-AA03-78DAC8B5D646.jpeg
    558.8 KB · Views: 39

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

A&E Cage Company Black 600A Economy Dome Top Cage​

So to start off, I got this cage for under half the retail price from a 3rd party seller on Amazon. This cage price is originally 230$ and I got mine at 99$ USD. So I will not mention pricing.

Lets begin!

Size

The size is alright. It is the minimum for cockatiels and I will only use it ~5 months a year for the summer. But if you want a decently sized cage that looks nice, this cage is good. However, setting up the interior (perches, toys, etc.) is a splinter in my eye. It is super irritating to find an arrangement that looks good, functions well, and is comfortable. It will drive you crazy at times. Aside from that, I rate the size a 6/10.

Design

It is aesthetically pleasing and looks great BUT there are a few flaws that can be off putting. Some parts can bow if you are NOT careful with storing it (the roof bowed in storage, more than in shipping so I had to fix it and the back panel warped a bit so I also had to fix it).

it has an open top that you can use as a stand, but trust me when I say DO NOT USE IT. Any open top bird cage is a huge hazard since the dowel could fall and slam down onto your bird and kill it. I have heard too many stories of these tragedies. However, this flaw does have a silver lining and does make rearranging easier!

The side doors are lovely and make giving food and water to a hormonal little turd MUCH easier.

The front door is LOVELY! It is absolutely HUGE! Perfect for a long cockatiel tail!

The bar spacing is suitable for cockatiels. Nothing smaller.

Overall design wise, I would rate this a 7/10

Security

Overall this is a super secure cage. The side doors canā€™t be picked open by cockatiels which is really nice, the iron bars are nice and sturdy, and the front door is a bit tough to open due to how it latches. Overall, 10/10 for security.

Convenience

This cage is rather convenient and works well. If you want to move the cage around, this bad boy moves cleaner than butter. If you want a large tabletop cage, this sucker can pop off its stand and be used as a table top cage but doesnā€™t exactly look very pretty if it is utilized that way. Want a cage that looks good in most spots? This is your cage. Got a bitey, flighty, or overexcited bird that will bite your hand when changing the food? This cage has you covered. Donā€™t want your bird making soup? This cage may have that solution (Rico used to drop food in his water but he never does it when the dishes are on the opposite sides of the cage.) this cage is useful and pretty convenient while still being good in functionality. 9/10 for convenience

accessories

This cage comes with 2 dowels and 2 bowls. Itā€™s basic but has some issues. The bowls are quite deep and designed more for amazons or African greys than small birds. This poses a few issues like drowning, food waste, nesting, food/water contamination, etc. Rico is a bit bigger than the average cockatiel so he does just fine with a deep water bowl but my friendā€™s bird for example is a cockatiel much smaller than your average cockatiel. His cockatiel would have a drowning risk with this bowl, making it too dangerous to have in his cage. The food dish is super wasteful unless you modify itā€¦ which is exactly what I did! I traced them cut out cardboard circles and put them in the bowl until it was 3 or so inches deep. Works like a charm!

The dowels are good but like 2 inches wide or something and arenā€™t exactly suited for small parrots but they do work alright

So for accessories Iā€™d give it a 5/10

Overall rating?

I would give this cage a 7/10. Itā€™s good but not perfect, thatā€™s for sure.
I'd love to see pictures of this cage. I'm not familiar with this one.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Added some pics so you can get an idea of what it looks like
It's a very nice cage for a cockatiel or budgie and very nicely furnished. As long as your cockatiel gets out of cage time it's plenty big. Lots of great toys makes a huge difference. Hookbills climb and play a lot vs flying from perch to perch like finches and canaries do.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
It's a very nice cage for a cockatiel or budgie and very nicely furnished. As long as your cockatiel gets out of cage time it's plenty big. Lots of great toys makes a huge difference. Hookbills climb and play a lot vs flying from perch to perch like finches and canaries do.
Thank you! It is crazy to think I got that bad boy for 99$ too! WITH Free Shipping!!! He is out roughly 5-9 hours a day and does get occasional time outs because he so badly wants to flirt with the table, land on the TV, chew on cords, or land on the fan. 3 strikes and heā€™s out type of thing.

And yeah, definitely! Toys can seriously make a difference! And he has plenty! He has a chest full and a play stand COVERED in toys so a lot more incentive to be out and crazy so he usually can cycle through them. And now Iā€™m more familiar with this cage, arranging it is easier than it was last year. Still annoying but not as annoying.

I wouldnā€™t recommend this for a budgie since the bar spacing is a tad over .5 inches (itā€™s .6) so a budgie could get itā€™s head stuck. And some reviews on the same cage (different seller) had budgies who did just that.

Finches donā€™t climb bars? I thought they could! Shows how much I know haha

yeah, I dunno what my mother was on about when I first got it. She said it was so small when the size is just fine. Although itā€™s not as big as Iā€™d prefer but I do like it. He can spread his wings fully and flap them without hitting anything and he is bigger than the avg tiel so I would say itā€™s a good cage but once September comes, he will be back in his flight cage for the fall and winter!

Most Reactions