Cage set up for Quaker with spinal deformity

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
The title says it all; we are approved and will likely be adopting a Quaker parrot who has a spinal deformity from birth, and also a broken leg that healed badly. He or she has trouble perching and falls, so we are trying to find a cage that has a large footprint but isn’t tall.

He or she can fly! But their walking stance is kind of funny - they list forward like they’re drunk.

Here are my top contenders so far:

A more traditional finch flight cage, it’s dimensions are 18in deep x 31 wide x 18 tall. It’s on the small side I feel, but it isn’t so tall that I need to worry about them hurting themselves.

The pros: storage space is handy! Bar spacing is small. The cage itself is short whilst still being high off the ground.

Cons: it’s a bit small. I’d like something more substantial since they’re fairly grounded.

The other option would be a small animal cage, with ramps and separate floors. We are not sure yet how well they could navigate a ramp without falling, which means we probably would need to stick to the single story type. This critter nation cage is well built, and is 24in deep by 36long by 38.5 tall.
MidWest Homes for Pets Deluxe Critter Nation Single Unit Small Animal Cage (Model 161),Gray Quartz https://a.co/d/fIm3MMt

Pros: has a single and double story model - and I believe you can add the second story later, so they take to the ramp well, we can expand it.

Cons: ramps present a fall hazard. Additionally, the cage is kind of short, and I assume most birds would be comfortable further off the ground. I could maybe modify the legs? Not sure.

I asked the rescue for input but they’re busy and don’t have all day to cage shop with me, so they said I should consider floor footprint before other features. I agree, but I wish that critter nation cage was taller somehow, without having to get the double model that I don’t even know if the parrot will fully utilize.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The critter cage looks more rugged than the flight cage to me.

I don't have a quaker and they are illegal in good old California.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I use the first cage for my disabled sparrow Milly.

Congrats on deciding to rescue this Quaker! When will they be coming home?

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I use the first cage for my disabled sparrow Milly.

Congrats on deciding to rescue this Quaker! When will they be coming home?
We don’t know for sure. Waiting for gram stain and CBC to come back so we know he or she is not bringing anything nasty home to Kirby. Their psittacosis test was already negative thankfully.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
We don’t know for sure. Waiting for gram stain and CBC to come back so we know he or she is not bringing anything nasty home to Kirby. Their psittacosis test was already negative thankfully.
Well that’s good, hopefully the results for the gram stain are good too.

I also wanted to say, the first cage is painted not powder coated, that wouldn’t be a problem for all birds but I know Prevue Hendrix makes a very similar cage, maybe they powder coat theirs?

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Well that’s good, hopefully the results for the gram stain are good too.

I also wanted to say, the first cage is painted not powder coated, that wouldn’t be a problem for all birds but I know Prevue Hendrix makes a very similar cage, maybe they powder coat theirs?
Do they? Can you link it for me? I found one on Petco but can’t remember the manufacturer.

We were leaning toward the critter nation as it looks better built but it’s so darn short and close to the floor and I hate that for them, I don’t know if I am handy enough to modify it to make it taller.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Well I found it but the door opens in an unsafe way, the one I have opens like an oven.
Prevue Pet Products Flight Cage Metal Steel Bird Crate, Multi-Bird Home Stackable Cage for Birds, Home Crate for Extra-Small Pet Parakeets, Finches, and More, White https://a.co/d/adtgmqR
It looks painted to me.

The critter nation is probably better, maybe you could get an aquarium stand that would mostly fit it? To make it taller.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Well I found it but the door opens in an unsafe way, the one I have opens like an oven.
Prevue Pet Products Flight Cage Metal Steel Bird Crate, Multi-Bird Home Stackable Cage for Birds, Home Crate for Extra-Small Pet Parakeets, Finches, and More, White https://a.co/d/adtgmqR
It looks painted to me.

The critter nation is probably better, maybe you could get an aquarium stand that would mostly fit it? To make it taller.
Yeah; I was trying to find one of those or, failing that, some kind of storage cabinet. I wonder if it has to have the wheels etc installed or if it is separate; I know on Kirby’s bird cage the wheels and stand are unfortunately part of the sides.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I feel like critter nation was high on my list for Cotton but I wanted white so ended up going with a normal A&E - I think I was planning to put it on an old dresser. Maybe I looked up the assembly instructions to know it would work on a table? I can't remember now.

Opie can definitely bite and bend the bars on a thinner metal cage (his baby cage that I now use for cockatiel visitors). I noticed yesterday the side bars are bent all wonky where he was trying to jailbreak his friend out.

Also Ope says YAYYYYYY QUAKER CLUB

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I feel like critter nation was high on my list for Cotton but I wanted white so ended up going with a normal A&E - I think I was planning to put it on an old dresser. Maybe I looked up the assembly instructions to know it would work on a table? I can't remember now.

Opie can definitely bite and bend the bars on a thinner metal cage (his baby cage that I now use for cockatiel visitors). I noticed yesterday the side bars are bent all wonky where he was trying to jailbreak his friend out.

Also Ope says YAYYYYYY QUAKER CLUB
Right?! I wish it came in any other color, LOL.

Shenanigans - I had another thought. How the hell am I gonna change food and water without a spazzy bird busting out of those massive doors?! They open up ALL THE WAY - great for cleaning, crappy for everything else. He or she has already proven they like to zip off into the air when they think they can get away with it - but the rescue said the radiograph reading came back, and in addition to the compound fracture that healed wrong, the little guy has a hairline fracture that is old and healed funny too.

Vet thinks it’s bone density that’s the issue, and has them on a calcium supplement. Crazy stuff.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
You could do something like the cage below. It's tall for the other birds while being really wide for the disabled quaker (you can take out the divider) the only down side is the doors are TINY

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
You could do something like the cage below. It's tall for the other birds while being really wide for the disabled quaker (you can take out the divider) the only down side is the doors are TINY

That’s a clever one! 36in high might be too high for the little guy though. Also, I must confess, I don’t have space for a 64in wide cage….*yet*. Let me measure my space and think about it.

Of course, I think my partner might kill me if I make any more unplanned household modifications this year. πŸ€ͺ

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
That’s a clever one! 36in high might be too high for the little guy though. Also, I must confess, I don’t have space for a 64in wide cage….*yet*. Let me measure my space and think about it.

Of course, I think my partner might kill me if I make any more unplanned household modifications this year. πŸ€ͺ
There's this option too; the same concept just different dimensions.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Good news - their bloodwork and gram stain are clean. We are going to meet them, and if they are okay with everyone (I am bringing the kids as well), they come home with us! Excited to have a new member in our flock.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Amazon sells plenty of good cages that are about 36x24x24 that would be the perfect size for your new friend. I think anything smaller would be too small for a quaker, even a disabled one. You can pad the bottom with cheap bed pillows about $5 each at Walmart and cover them with soft paper towels. Be careful using Terry cloth towels to pad the bottom because birds toenails can easily get caught in the loops. I have a partially disabled English budgie and had to pad her cage and put everything only six inches from the bottom so she wouldn't get injured worse in a fall. She has osteoporosis and fractured he femur six months ago flap falling only two feet to the ground. She recovered but her bones are very fragile so she still lives in a well padded cage.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Amazon sells plenty of good cages that are about 36x24x24 that would be the perfect size for your new friend. I think anything smaller would be too small for a quaker, even a disabled one. You can pad the bottom with cheap bed pillows about $5 each at Walmart and cover them with soft paper towels. Be careful using Terry cloth towels to pad the bottom because birds toenails can easily get caught in the loops. I have a partially disabled English budgie and had to pad her cage and put everything only six inches from the bottom so she wouldn't get injured worse in a fall. She has osteoporosis and fractured he femur six months ago flap falling only two feet to the ground. She recovered but her bones are very fragile so she still lives in a well padded cage.

I have not been able to find any 36x24 cages that are that short, and the vet specifically said they’d do better in a cage with less height? Where are these two foot tall bird cages?

Kind of surprised though about the dimensions - our Amazon’s cage is an A&E dome top whose β€œpractical” dimensions are about 32x22? He is a much larger bird than a Quaker.
image.jpg

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
70312667931__D11FBD19-C720-4E59-AD7D-1C73A60BAEE0.jpeg

My kitchen counter seemed like an ideal place to let Kirby know he’s got a new housemate. So far they’re both being cool. Buddy is grooming and studiously ignoring Kirby; Kirby is definitely staring but is being quiet and seems relaxed.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
View attachment 49320

My kitchen counter seemed like an ideal place to let Kirby know he’s got a new housemate. So far they’re both being cool. Buddy is grooming and studiously ignoring Kirby; Kirby is definitely staring but is being quiet and seems relaxed.
Buddy is fluffy.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~

Most Reactions