cage shopping

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
so I've talked to my parents and as long as I uphold my end of the bargain, (furthering my education in a career I actually want and taking on the rest of my expenses like insurance and my phone and what not) they are okay with me getting a third bird. Now i already have my eyes on a specific breeder and a clutch shes planning to have later this year, sometime in summer. I'm limited in space so I was looking at stacked cages and I've found very few that actually fit what I'm looking for.

My criteria:
- doors that arent just slide shut / spring shut and have a lock
- stacked on top of each other not side by side
- 1/2" bar spacing
- same (or about same) dimensions I have for Apollos current cage (31 x 20.5 x 53 inches)

I dont think that's asking too much but I found maybe 4 total cages that fit the "stacked ontop of each other" criteria and only one appeared suitable ( https://kingscages.com/product/slfdd-3221-stackable-flight-cage-32w-x-21d-x-6h/ )

does anyone have any other links to stacked cages that fit this but are maybe a little cheaper? I'm not in love with this cage but my options are slim to say the least unless I'm just not finding some?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have used Birdcages4less.com for decades and have purchased six cages from them over the years.

I really do not like stacked cages as the poor bird stuck in the lower cage is like in a cave, always seems darker than the upper cage.

You will likely hate this idea, but why not way until you have completed your education, get your for real job and have your own place? I realize that you likely think that idea sucks, but a Real Education for a Real Job should consume a ton of your time. If it doesn't you're not getting more than a simple education, just saying.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I have used Birdcages4less.com for decades and have purchased six cages from them over the years.

I really do not like stacked cages as the poor bird stuck in the lower cage is like in a cave, always seems darker than the upper cage.

You will likely hate this idea, but why not way until you have completed your education, get your for real job and have your own place? I realize that you likely think that idea sucks, but a Real Education for a Real Job should consume a ton of your time. If it doesn't you're not getting more than a simple education, just saying.

the education I would be doing is a 6month online course so it would be easy to give the birds the attention they need still. And the job would be much in the same boat, something I would do from home. As for the cave situation I've been intending to not keep one in the bottom cage for more than a week. I would switch them around so they both experience top and bottom and theyd still have lots of out of cage time. I tried birdcage4less and didnt see any stacked cages or even many 1/2" bar spacing cages

Last edited:
OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Just my two cents: Commonly Parrots like 'their' own cage and are not commonly into moving about.

I thought I read that it was a good idea to move them between cages to keep things different and interesting? Is that outdated information?

If I don't switch them around I think the bottom cage would still get lots of sunlight (window is on the adjacent wall). Is this really a bad idea to get stacker cages? Even if they would have lots of out of cage time?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You have to measure your reality as each home is different as to lighting and drafts. As a result, anyone that states that this or that is hard facts is responding from their view-point. I have long come from finding stacked cages in poorly lite rooms from working with Parrots with behavioral problems, hence, my dislike for such cages.

The concept of each having their own cage is long standing as it is based in the concept of territorialism. Switching them around can be likened to moving children from one bedroom to another. Although this can help in building a comfort in change, it also can build anxiety in not having a place /roots.

Commonly, a Parrot starts with the reality of her /his cage and then it become her /his full home.

Last edited:
OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
well I'll play around with the room and see how lighting would be. idk I'll put a divider or something in apollos cage to see how the bottom half would look. I dont think there would be any problem the room is rather well lit.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I've decided to scrap the stacked cage idea. We rearranged the furniture in the bird room and another cage like Apollos would be easy to fit in. it would block my closet but I dont really access that closet much so it's not really a concern

Most Reactions

Latest posts