Cages, design, size and requirements.

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
I've heard from other owners that those are hard to clean, especially with the small door == you can't get your body in it to reach very well.

I love the looks of that cage, but this was my concern also.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Just make sure it will fit through your doors lol Rosie has a 36 x 27 x 60" cage. I think I have barely and inch if space to fit through doors lol

Tami

Mar 2, 2013
I will be adopting an Ekkie as soon as I find a good cage. Is 30x30x32 high too small? Any suggestions on places to buy, types of cages, best manufacturers, size? Thanks!

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
30x30 is pretty good, but 32 high is awfully short. Be sure the bar spacing is 1 inch.

I hate to keep plugging PetCo because in many ways I don't care for the company, but right now they have the best prices including shipping for 40x30x72(playtop) or 40x30x78 (dometop) A&E cages. I think that size cage is perfect for Eclectus because it allows room for many perches, boings, branches, hanging toys, hanging baskets AND the bird. :)

Tami

Mar 2, 2013
Thanks for the info. So 5/8 and 3/4" bar spacing isn't safe? That's what I'm finding on most of them.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
It's not so much they aren't safe, it's whether they are appropriately sized for the species. Generally, the larger the spacing, the larger the diameter of the bars, btw.

7/8 would be okay. 1" is recommended.

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
The bar spacing on a couple of mine is 5/8. I've never had a problem with that. My larger cage has wider bar spacing. I think that's pretty common.

Tami

Mar 2, 2013
Well, I ended up buying an A & E cage at PETCO for my new Ekkie, Carli. It's a playtop, Wire Spacing: 1"; 36" L X 28" W X 66" H; Interior Height: 38" I called A & E company and asked them which of their cages would be best for an Ekkie and this is the one they suggested so I went with it. The fellow I talked to said he actually had an Ekkie and that was the cage he had. I hope it's a good choice.
The man that has Carli right now feeds her Zupreem fruit pellets, and said she has been on them her entire life in addition to fresh fruits, veggies, and a small amount of seeds. She looks wonderful and displays no negative behavior. I'm assuming I should keep her on this diet if it's working for her. Comments?

ziza

Mar 24, 2013
Can i ask a question here, too?
i am looking for the cage for my future eclectus... I really LOVE those aluminum king cages...My layout is going to be - a cage in the living room, and some kind of a stand/playpen in the kitchen...They are going to actually be very close to each other (kitchen is connected to living room, no doors etc)...So would i still need a cage with a play top? Or he will be good with a stand in the kitchen?
Would this cage be good/big enough?
King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More
thank you

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Sam, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sierra & Black Headed Caique, Daisy Jane
I picked up a new Ventura cage for my GCC, and I think it came to £150 (+£20 P&P). I was slightly concerned about the bar width, but I couldn't find any other large cages with smaller spacing. Thankfully, it seems not to be an issue; it's a really good cage.

Liberta Ventura Parrot Play Cage ? Next Day Delivery Liberta Ventura Parrot Play Cage

I've heard from other owners that those are hard to clean, especially with the small door == you can't get your body in it to reach very well.

Those cages are hard to clean, my Moms was prevue though. I hated it before we got all the parts out of the box. I told my mom to send it back before we even put it together. She ended up having it for 3 months before we sold it. Her Severe did nothing but scream in it. There is no way an eclectus would have enough room in the top part. I really am not a fan of those cages but i can see where some people might like them.

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Sam, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sierra & Black Headed Caique, Daisy Jane
i am looking for the cage for my future eclectus... I really LOVE those aluminum king cages...My layout is going to be - a cage in the living room, and some kind of a stand/playpen in the kitchen...They are going to actually be very close to each other (kitchen is connected to living room, no doors etc)...So would i still need a cage with a play top? Or he will be good with a stand in the kitchen?
King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More
thank you
My Red bellied is in cage that is 30 x 22 the cage which you found is only 5 inches around bigger also my cage is taller than that one. I would say no its not big enough. Eclectus have a big wing span and you want him to be able to stretch his wings out with plenty of room once the toys go in. If it were me i would go a little bigger. Kings are nice cages but that one also looks the food tray and grate are close which can be a pain.

ziza

Mar 24, 2013
thank you
My Red bellied is in cage that is 30 x 22 the cage which you found is only 5 inches around bigger also my cage is taller than that one. I would say no its not big enough. Eclectus have a big wing span and you want him to be able to stretch his wings out with plenty of room once the toys go in. If it were me i would go a little bigger. Kings are nice cages but that one also looks the food tray and grate are close which can be a pain.
i think it's the biggest of the ones that have colored version...I really wanted blue or golden cage:cool:...Oh, well, bird's comfort is more important...

moni.k

Sep 2, 2012
Pasadena, CA
Parrots
~SI female eclectus: Nalani~
~pineapple.turquoise GCC: Layla~
I think the kings cage is fine. Nalani is in a 32x23x40 cage. She loves it!! At first, I got her a huge macaw cage, she didn't utilize half the space. It was bulky, heavy and honestly... a waste of money. So I downgraded her to a smaller cage. Now, she really enjoys it. She goes up in every corner to the floor. One thing I do have to watch is the placement of toys, number of toys and placement of perches. I make sure she has a lot of room to spread her wings, and move around in. (try hanging the toys on the side of the cage and on the perches, it utilizes more space aside from just the top cluster)

In my situation where Nalani is out for about 8 hours a day... it's ideal. She spends about 4 hours during the day and her "sleep" hours in her cage. So a huge cage is unnecessary. Think of it this way. If you plan on spending a lot of time with your bird outside of the cage, then a smaller cage is acceptable. But if you have work, school and other things in life, where your bird will be left in his/her cage most of the day. Then of course, bigger is better in that situation.

Curiosity

Mar 19, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
Blue & Gold
But in all honesty, I do have to say that I bought some stuff from Windy City Parrot and their customer service is very good. I'll definitely buy more from them.

ziza

Mar 24, 2013
I am looking for a playpen for my future eclectus. The area i can put it is 29*23...i can't seem to find anything that fits...Can you please recommend me where can i look? TIA

Most Reactions