Can laser damage birds eye?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
This is from a laser safety site:

"Laser beams can damage the retinas. The amount of damage will depend on how long the laser is shined into the eye, the power of the beam, and the distance from the pointer. However, even a low powered laser can cause temporary blind spots whether the eye is permanently damaged or not. In order for a beam to do permanent damage to the eyes, it has to be over 500 milliwatts. The chance of a laser beam of this caliber being sold to the public is minimal but still possible. This is why it is important to read labels and then take further security measures by never pointing a laser at anyone’s face or eyes."

So the answer is yes, it can damage the retinas.

Fortunately, the effect is probably temporary.

Doesn't make him any less of a %#@& though!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
By the same token, if someone was shining a laser in your eye, you'd move right?!

I mean, my bird would simply turn around and not look at it, if it were bothering her... So they probably didn't get enough of a burst to do damage. I can't imagine a normal CAG or Too just sitting there for an hour with a laser beam being shot in their eyes...

They'd get away from it.

Still doesn't make your neighbor any less of a @#%&!

Firethorn

Aug 25, 2015
The commonly available LASER is harmless. To acquire a LASER actually capable of damage is prohibitively expensive. While the LASER is harmless your neighbor is not. With someone who is passive aggressive and crossing boundaries like he is; you need to assert yours quickly and hard. A passive aggressive will take the path of least resistance. Make it hard for him to interact with you in any way. If you rent from the same apartment complex I would take this issue to the management. I would also contact animal control, police, His landlord and the City Hall Planning Dept. Request that light emissions into your home be abated. I would also get a restraining order. Get an account with Legal Shield and have your lawyer send him a letter. You’re probably doing him a favor. The next person whose personal boundaries he crosses will undoubtedly be less kind. There is a lot to the old saying that high fences make good neighbors. Of course you should make a good faith effort to be a good neighbor and move the birds where he will be less likely to hear them. Put some foggy glass paper onto your window. I use a mirror in the hallway to reflect the outside visions inside and around the corner into my bedroom. This way I mitigate my baby’s noise to the whole house and away from the neighbors. They only scream when they want attention so they are around me all during waking hours. Buying/making toys to keep your bird content is a good idea. If you rent an apartment it would be worth it to move a few doors away from the creep. Dealing with a passive aggressive creep neighbor is one of the hardest thing to do. Good luck

Firethorn

Aug 25, 2015
Large LASERs require a license.

Technically your supposed to have a license from the FCC in order to own a LASER over 500 miliwatts. They should really be regulated like guns are. Still, places like Carolina Biological will sell you one with no proof of license. If MY neighbor did what yours did to one of my pets I would DEFINITELY advocate violence. This guy is a toddler in a mans body. You should treat him as such. You must have a divine type of patients since you haven't elbowchecked this guy upside his head already. On behalf of your birds I would have his actions on record sooner than later. Documentation of his behavior will play well in case you request a judge to prevent him from making frivolous reporting of you. Frivolous reporting to public agencies can become a huge nuisance in no time. If I were you I would cover my butt by reporting him. His actions are completely unacceptable. Your contention of him has a certain ring of truth. Trust in that and report the creep. I'm very sorry about your situation. People who commit animal abuse will always have a significant history of violence. In fact I would expect him to be on probation. Probation officers have a great deal of lee way when dealing with offenders. Call the probation office and see if he his registered. If you call the Animal Legal Defense Fund They can give you legal advice on how to properly deal with this. I wish I could advise you further, but my legal knowledge is limited and California specific. Mean people suck.

kalimongso

Apr 18, 2021
actually, I also have a neighbour who has a love bird while I got 3-month babies who keep awake from its noise, I try to talk to him to move the bird to another side of his house since his house is large. however, he really doesn't care and say that this spot is a perfect spot for his bird. I really have anxiety because my baby keeps getting awake and his health deteriorates. finally, I decided to send my baby to parent house. but I really angry with his bird so I laser his bird when he begins to chripping everyday. do I'm wrong to do this, since the neighbour seems doesn't respect and care my babbies

MOD EDIT: Parrot Forums’ Mod team wishes to advise that we in no way condone this course of action, and request that any member responding to this post does so in a responsible manner. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions