Can PETA do this ?

Leena

Mar 31, 2015
India
Parrots
Alexandrine - Rio, Budgies - Blu and Tweety
This came up on my FB group when somebody asked to post pics of their pets and in response a lady posted pics of her budgies.
I am worried . Can PETA really do this?:eek:
I thought they are there to help animals and birds .
My husband is meeting a friend who is a cop to see if we can have some documentation or NOC made for all our parrots .
So sad that such a reputable organisation is not aware that releasing pet birds will do more harm then good . I know for one thing nobody is taking mine

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Sadly, PETA has become something of a militant group of irrational and angry people (coming from a vegetarian of 20 years and vegan for the past 5 who originally stopped eating meat because of PETA back when they actually cared about animal welfare and not pushing a highly profitable agenda). They put all animal lovers to shame.

And no, they cannot steal pets to release. Doing so is illegal in several ways- theft and breaking and entering/burglary/criminal trespassing, animal cruelty (domesticated pets cannot be expected to survive in the wild) also probably laws in some areas regarding releasing non-native/potentially invasive species into local ecosystems. Though, I suspect this post is not *quite* truthful and reeks of trying to make all vegans/ARAs look like wack jobs.

Last edited:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
no, peta cannot legally do this but it wouldn't be the first time. There was an especially large news story where peta took a dog off someone's porch and euthanized it. If peta comes knocking on your door asking for access, slam it in their face. They have no legal rights to your property and especially not your animals.

Peta is NOT a reputable organization. They are categorized as a terrorist organization by the government. Anyone who has 2 brain cells really realizes PETA is awful and hypocritical and doesn't care about animals at all.

I'm all for animal rights and vegans standing up for what they believe in but there's a line and peta has sped miles across that line.

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
It's hard to know what actually happened in this particular situation because no context is given and we don't know what the circumstances were, so I wouldn't put any stock into this particular post/situation...HOWEVER:

PETA is not a law-enforcement agency, and there is no way at all they could enter someone's home and remove/take any pets without the owner's permission to first enter the house, and then to take their pets...so that part is just not true...Just as the Humane Society, the SPCA, and any other animal rescue group would have to do,
PETA would also have to go to official law-enforcement and have them go to a person's home if they suspect animal abuse or neglect, and even law-enforcement agencies in most countries/states, such as local or state police, would still have to have a Court-Order from a Judge in order to enter a person's home and forcibly remove an animal.
NOT EVEN LOCAL, STATE, OR FEDERAL POLICE CAN ENTER A PERSON'S HOME AND REMOVE ANY ANIMALS/LIVING CREATURES WITHOUT THE OWNER'S PERMISSION UNLESS THEY HAVE A COURT-ORDER SIGNED BY A JUDGE AND NOTARIZED. That's just how it works.
So any tales of PETA going to a private home or a public business and LEGALLY entering the home without the owner's permission and LEGALLY taking a pet from the home, even if there is obvious abuse or neglect, are just that, they are tales and exaggerations, and you're not getting the whole story...Now if PETA took evidence of neglect and/or abuse of a person's pet to a Judge, they had a hearing, and the Judge signed a Court-Order to have the pet removed and custody signed-over to PETA, then PETA could go to the home, present the Court-Order to the owner, and if the owner didn't willingly let PETA into their home or hand-over their pet to PETA, then they usually call local law-enforcement to come to the home and "enforce the Court Order"...

****As far as PETA as an organization goes, they unfortunately mean well and want to do good for the welfare of all animals and pets, but they are more than willing to break the law and do not only illegal things but also immoral, unethical, and a lot of the time destructive and/or violent things to get the end-result that they want; PETA members are very often arrested, convicted, and go to prison on a regular basis for doing anything and everything they feel necessary to achieve their goals...And as already stated, they long-ago very much became a "militant" group...When PETA members started destroying property and causing physical, bodily harm to people in-order to either rescue animals, or more-so anymore just to simply "punish" a person or company that they feel deserves to punished for hurting or killing animals, I found it very difficult to understand the hypocrisy of their actions...Why is it okay to hurt and potentially kill human beings in order to save animals?

Individual PETA members started going-rogue and just getting totally out of control back in the late 80's forward, and it's a shame because they actually do a lot of good as an organization, they really do, and on a regular, daily basis. Unfortunately the illegal, immoral, and unethical behaviors of a lot of their members always overshadows any and all good that PETA as an animal-welfare organization regularly does.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I honestly don't know....Truth be told, PETA isn't supposed to throw red paint on people wearing fur, but they have done that in the past. If they released birds, it certainly wasn't legal (or intelligent), but individuals within the organization have repeatedly broken the law before. I doubt that PETA corporate would ever stand behind such lawlessness publicly, but that doesn't mean that they would condemn it either. It is a corporation built upon extreme images, actions and ideals.

As a long-time vegetarian and animal-lover, PETA often irritates me. I don't disagree with everything they say/do, but they tend to use a lot of extreme tactics and shock value to spread their message...ultimately, it seems that they turn more people away from their cause by being so militant and over-the-top.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Full disclosure: I was a PETA member for many years, limited to financial donations and perusing literature. Never attended a rally nor meeting of any sort. I grew weary of their dogmatic stance against companion pets, divisive tactics, operation of a high-kill shelter in Norfolk VA, and ceased support 5 or 6 years ago.

Yes, PETA operates a private animal shelter under the auspices of the State of Virginia. They surely practice what they preach; "animals should not be "owned" or companions to humans. Note the accounting of animals within their shelter in this 2016 custody report: https://arr.va-vdacs.com/PublicReports/ViewReport?SysFacNo=157&Calendar_Year=2016 Certainly qualifies as "high kill" though they typically claim only the sickest and most forlorn were euthanized. The release of birds discussed by the OP, if true, is certainly outside their official shelter activities.

To their credit, PETA spayed/neutered roughly 15,000 dogs and cats same period. Sadly, they've lost credibility and have become largely a caricature of their early roots.

Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
So sad that such a reputable organisation is not aware that releasing pet birds will do more harm then good .

You had me laughing so hard!
Peta and reputable in the same scentence!!

They are (for a very large part) nothing more than a bunch of loudmouthes& hypocrits and are responsable for creating animal suffering at least as much as claiming to wanting to fix it.

At least that is what we hear and see of them.

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I honestly don't know....Truth be told, PETA isn't supposed to throw red paint on people wearing fur, but they have done that in the past. If they released birds, it certainly wasn't legal (or intelligent), but individuals within the organization have repeatedly broken the law before. I doubt that PETA corporate would ever stand behind such lawlessness publicly, but that doesn't mean that they would condemn it either. It is a corporation built upon extreme images, actions and ideals.

As a long-time vegetarian and animal-lover, PETA often irritates me. I don't disagree with everything they say/do, but they tend to use a lot of extreme tactics and shock value to spread their message...ultimately, it seems that they turn more people away from their cause by being so militant and over-the-top.

I completely agree Noodles, it is extremely irritating to both agree with a lot of what PETA believes and does, and then you here about them doing something like throwing paint on people's clothing, throwing bricks through store-front windows, breaking into pet shops and stealing animals, etc. PETA members regularly break the law all the time, that's why I said that there is no way that PETA could ever go to a person's home, enter it, and remove a pet LEGALLY without the owner's permission to both enter and take the animal...That's the key word, "Legally"...does that mean they didn't do it? No, not at all, but without more context/information we can't know...

I don't know why PETA thinks some of things they do are justified, but it's no different than protesters of the 60's and 70's who were non-peaceful protesters and who became destructive and violent. I don't know what's right and what's wrong, I tend to judge each individual situation on it's own...

mgarvie

Oct 3, 2018
Pekin, IL
Parrots
Orange Winged Amazon
And the source of this information is Facebook? Yep, my number one place for facts, news, and information.

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
PETA has no legal right to do that. They're the equivalent to the Westboro Baptist church, a bunch of extrememist nuts. I'd rather see an organizatipn that was dedicated to getting laws passed to insure that all animals are treated humanely, since it's not realistic that the entire US is going to become vegan, the animals should at least be treated well. Instead of getting laws passed for good animal husbandry and re-homing adoptable animals, all I usually hear of PETA is a bunch of craziness.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
PETA has no legal right to do that. They're the equivalent to the Westboro Baptist church, a bunch of extrememist nuts. I'd rather see an organizatipn that was dedicated to getting laws passed to insure that all animals are treated humanely, since it's not realistic that the entire US is going to become vegan, the animals should at least be treated well. Instead of getting laws passed for good animal husbandry and re-homing adoptable animals, all I usually hear of PETA is a bunch of craziness.

I think that their efforts either make people angry, or traumatize them into converting to veganism/ vegetarianism short-term, but it is generally out of guilt/terror.... (and the extreme converts are generally people who were totally in the dark with regard to the origins of their food and/or young). In many cases, as soon as the dramatic images are out of their minds, they tend to gradually revert back to what they were doing before (eating meat etc etc), because their hearts were never really in it..they just felt terrified and shocked. I understand what it means to feel passionately about things (as we know), but it seems wrong to slap a bunch of extreme images in people's faces and expect any change that takes place to be genuine/lasting. I know a picture is worth a thousand words, but there is something to be said about educating people without coercion...Couple that with the radical and sometimes illegal/extreme actions among certain members (along with copious funds) and it is kind of a recipe for intrigue, disaster and viral propaganda. So many people are just desperate to fight for something (fight, being the operative word).

They also anthropomorphize animals like crazy....and this is coming from someone who literally pauses mid-sentence to "save" worms crossing the sidewalk...I just wish that they didn't come off as so crazy, because there are lots of intelligent people in the world who would be open to their message if it weren't for the celebrity-studded, shock laden barrage of marketing campaigns. It really casts vegetarians and vegans in a bad light and it makes me feel like I have to apologize to people when I tell them I don't eat meat (AKA- I'm a vegetarian, but I don't care that you are eating meat...I promise...I am not one of the crazy ones!) lol

Last edited:

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
I'm not one to judge what anyone eats either, but when you see pictures of 10,000 pigs or chickens packed into a factory farm pen where they can't move and are laying in their own feces, it's disgusting. And it's the reality of what we're eating. I'd rather eat wild boar or deer. At least they lived their lives free roaming as it was intended, not cramped into factory farms living in feces.

PETA doesn't get anything done about this, however. They show the pictures for shock factor and everyone is disgusted for a while and gets over it.

My family are carnivores and I buy from free range local farmers as much as I can. I'm however kind of disgusted by meat. I do like shellfish though. Clams don't have faces or brains so that's my favorite lol.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I agree.................(I know it won't let me post this if my message doesn't contain enough characters! lol)

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
Also their notion that animals shouldn't be kept as pets and are better off euthanized is ridiculous. Dogs have been bred for hundreds of years to be companions to humans, what are they talking about? Birds not as much, but even they are adapted to humans. If someone took poor Peanut away from me she'd be lost and heartbroken. And attacked and killed by another bird.

Last edited:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I have a lot of strong feelings when it comes to peta... none of them good.

I know there are individuals that do mean well, but as a whole it's just an all all around awful organization. Their shelters have the highest kill rate of any other shelter in the US. A lot of their ideology is that an animal is better off dead than in captivity.

They promote extremely graphic and frankly untrue images of what farms are like (most famously the butchered / "sheered" lamb)

they've slipped extremely graphic comics to children without the parents knowing / parents consent.

There was one particular story that didn't gain much media traction where a veteran was forced to give up his service dog and move away due to all the harassment he was getting from peta followers which caused him to be afraid for his life.

Honestly if peta meant well they would push facts and educate the public and actually rescue animals and attempt to give them a better life where they could thrive instead of killing them or leaving them to die.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Uhuh, there is no-one more concerned with animal welfare than the farmers, yes those who raise animals for slaughter!
They all know their animals very well and can tell they are not okay-- but since they also need to survive so they have to cram them together. But they are never happier if they can improve the lives of the animals they work with and care for day in-day out.
(I got invited into barns with "Come, quick, look, the pigs are playing with the ball again" or " have you seen our new cow-scratcher? They love it so much!" )

Missionary-vegans keep confronting me with "if you had to kill that animal yourself, would you still eat meat? huh? huh?"- the answer is "Yes, I would".
-- I have tried the vegetarian way, it does not work for me, I fall apart.

Terrorizing people into anything is never a great idea ...

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
ah PETA, how I love their... insanity. No PETA can't take animals, PETA don't have any legal rights to other people's animals (despite what they say) If you ever get PETA members at your door asking about your bird I would immediately snap a picture of them then tell them to get lost (I'd also get a camera set up if they do knock at the door because I wouldn't put it past them to force entry thinking they're being noble freedom fighters)

Once you peel back all the nonsense they've turned to like lying about how sheering is done (remember that picture of the lamb covered in blood? Despite sheering not cutting the skin because shearers don't want this as it ruins that bit of wool and harms the animal they know so well) they have some good things to say about how we should care about animals and when you peel it back even further where our food comes from and such.

It's just unfortunate that the group has attracted the crazies who ruin things for everyone. I always think to the time I heard of where they took about 1'000 saltwater crayfish from a cook-out thing and 'liberated' them to a freshwater river. You can probably guess what happened to the crayfish in there.

moxxiethecockatoo

Jul 20, 2022
Parrots
I have previously owned one cockatiel and two budgies. I currently own one sulphur crested cockatoo
Sadly, PETA has become something of a militant group of irrational and angry people (coming from a vegetarian of 20 years and vegan for the past 5 who originally stopped eating meat because of PETA back when they actually cared about animal welfare and not pushing a highly profitable agenda). They put all animal lovers to shame.

And no, they cannot steal pets to release. Doing so is illegal in several ways- theft and breaking and entering/burglary/criminal trespassing, animal cruelty (domesticated pets cannot be expected to survive in the wild) also probably laws in some areas regarding releasing non-native/potentially invasive species into local ecosystems. Though, I suspect this post is not *quite* truthful and reeks of trying to make all vegans/ARAs look like wack jobs.
I'm gonna be honest, my mom follows PETA and I joined in too after seeing them say they're for animal rights.
Now I'm seeing all of this stuff about them being such a bad organization.
I question a lot of it, and I will say this. Some of the stuff PETA has done was a little intense and uncalled for.
But they've also done some good and even spread awareness about things that any other animal activist would say such as Adopt, Don't Shop, Say no to Animal testing, and how some animals should have never been pets (Although that's too late).
So I truthfully like PETA for some of their things, but there are things I feel like PETA needs to improve on, I'm really not gonna go attacking them over some stuff that they've done, because that's what happened to me, I was attacked by some parrot people in Michigan because I thought that parrots made good therapy animals with the right training and large amount of time. And this lady's cyber attack caused me to have an actual heart attack and end up in the hospital.
So I'm not gonna attack PETA like how I was attacked.
But let me say this:
Let me be the first PETA member that would rather help your pet instead of stealing it.
(Also don't mind where I'm at, I'm in my Panic Closet recovering from my trip to the hospital after my heart attack, I have a horrible needle sensitivity)

Attachments

• IMG_20220914_064052.jpg
    IMG_20220914_064052.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 40

Most Reactions

Latest posts