Can you guess a parrot that young?

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
This is supposed to be just funny way to admire how parrots can look so similar when they are really young.

If you can´t guess, I will put a picture of the same chicks a little bit older until someone can figure it out. :)

IMG-20211003-WA0003.jpg

20211007_074319.jpg

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Im gonna say, Not budgies, because I don't think mine had that much fluff when their little bods were still that un-developed.

OP
Kitekeeper

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Im gonna say, Not budgies, because I don't think mine had that much fluff when their little bods were still that un-developed.
Definitely not budgies :)

I know THAT young is really hard to guess.

Let´s go a little further in development:

7 to 9 days old
20211012_164012.jpg

10 to 12 days old
20211016_134421.jpg

OP
Kitekeeper

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Have your linnies by chance been getting up to some hanky panky lately??
Thanks LaManuka! Unfortunately the linnies don´t mix too well with each other. Charlie wants to get serious, but Emma just wants to cuddle, nothing more. After all it is not that bad a thing as both my linnies are greywing mutations and should not be paired together to produce offspring.

I did not know that at first, but later I´ve found out that two greywing mutations can produce babies with several health problems. So Charlie and Emma must remain just friends, much for Emma´s relief :D :D

Last edited:
OP
Kitekeeper

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Lovebirds?
Exactly my friend Noah!! :)

Here some pics of the parents:

20211005_102938-1-1.jpg

20211009_111117.jpg

The normal green red faced is the male (Mango) and the bluegreen opaline (Marina) is the female.

They are first time parents but are performing wonderfully well! It has been now 17 days since the first baby hatched and Mango is showing signs of fatigue. He has been feeding Marina and the babies all day long and now I catch him frequently sleeping during the day.

Marina is also performing amazingly well. They did everything they were supposed to do, almost if they have read every book about lovebirds reproduction :D

Their clutch had five eggs. When the fourth baby hatched part of its shell covered the fifth egg and one of the parents accidentally perforated the fifth egg trying to clean it.

I followed their effort to feed all four babies everyday, but after a week they abandoned feeding the last two. I tried to feed them but they were not able to develop and died. Something was wrong with them as five days of handfeeding did not produce any sign of development at all. Marina knew it better than me.

Let´s see how the two remaining babies will develop then.

Most Reactions

Latest posts