cannabis smell around conures and parrots

Neela

Feb 28, 2024
Parrots
Nmoon711
my roommate has started dating someone and the girl smokes marijuana in their room. I keep my conure Kiwi in my room but the smell is sometimes strong enough that travels to my room. Is that going to be harmful for my baby?

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
my roommate has started dating someone and the girl smokes marijuana in their room. I keep my conure Kiwi in my room but the smell is sometimes strong enough that travels to my room. Is that going to be harmful for my baby?
It could be harmful. Can you just politely ask them to not smoke anything indoors. It's a reasonable request. Especially weed as it's so strong.

I remember when you could smoke in shopping malls and airplanes but those days are long gone. Anyone smoking must do so in consideration of others.

So no smoking inside. A policy you must enforce in your home for the health of you and your bird. You have the moral high ground in that argument. If they have any respect for you then they must take up the policy

Last edited:

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Yes, it definitely could be harmful for your bird; any smoke can and marijuana has the potential to depress their system to point of death ( if they get a lot). I agree with Free as a bird that since you are roommates you absolutely have a right to ask them not to smoke inside. If they refuse, at least have them put a towel under the door and if possible open a window in the room while they’re smoking. Running an air purifier in your room where Kiwi is could help too. ❤️

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The reality is that Marijuana Smoke is heavier and tend to stick to the air sacks of Birds and like the birds in Coal mines, they die.

It would be wise to look at why the smoke gathers in your room. Likely there is an air return vent in your room or a window in which air is leaking out of. Attempt to determine why prior to a confrontation with your roommates.

Most Reactions