Cause for Concern?

Akula00

Feb 2, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck, Lovebird and Budgie + Finches
Hello everyone.

I bought my lovely green IRN Chief back in December and noticed a strip across his head where there are way less feathers; I wouldn't call it bald as such, but you can see the skin beneath at certain angles.

After a few months now on premium seed/nut mix, an increasingly varied array of fruit and veggies, and some training. He seems to be getting more and more trusting with me and exhibits no signs of illness; he can even be quite nagging at times :) He flies well, moves fine and has normal energy.

Can I chalk this up to a moult? His diet in the aviary? Or should I be worried?

skunkmonkey

May 7, 2022
Parrots
Rio and Maui both Indian Ringneck
yeah baby IRN's (and other parrots) are a little scruffy until after their first molt. Other differences you will notice with future molts of your IRN:
1. They will grow VERY long tail feathers (hence the parakeet title. Parakeet means "long tailed parrot")
2. Their colors can develop and change significantly after the first molt. For instance, when I bought Rio she looked all grey with just a hint of green on her crest. After her first molt she turned entirely olive green.
3. When they reach adulthood (3-5yrs old) if it's a male it will develop a distinctive black ring around its neck

OP
A

Akula00

Feb 2, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck, Lovebird and Budgie + Finches
yeah baby IRN's (and other parrots) are a little scruffy until after their first molt. Other differences you will notice with future molts of your IRN:
1. They will grow VERY long tail feathers (hence the parakeet title. Parakeet means "long tailed parrot")
2. Their colors can develop and change significantly after the first molt. For instance, when I bought Rio she looked all grey with just a hint of green on her crest. After her first molt she turned entirely olive green.
3. When they reach adulthood (3-5yrs old) if it's a male it will develop a distinctive black ring around its neck
Thank you for the help, and I wasn't ware that's what parakeet meant :)

He does already have the distinct dark-ring with rose. Perhaps an early bloomer? I believe he is less than 2 years old.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Thank you for the help, and I wasn't ware that's what parakeet meant :)

He does already have the distinct dark-ring with rose. Perhaps an early bloomer? I believe he is less than 2 years old.

My ARN developed his ring when he molted around 18-19 months. He's a rescue so it's possible he's a little older but based on his purchase history he'd still be younger than 3.

skunkmonkey

May 7, 2022
Parrots
Rio and Maui both Indian Ringneck
yeah sorry I mistyped. I should have typed 2-5 yrs old is the typical age that RN's will get their rings, with 2-3 being the typical age.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
yeah sorry I mistyped. I should have typed 2-5 yrs old is the typical age that RN's will get their rings, with 2-3 being the typical age.
I promise I wasn't trying to correct you :) Just pointing out that if my guy is the age I'm told he is, he's also an early bloomer 😄

Most Reactions