Chewing mosquito nets

Cads

Dec 6, 2023
Parrots
1 Green cheeked conure
Is there something I can put on the nets to stop or repel my conure from being on and chewing the nets? I can already see some slight damage after only 1 month. Is there a natural and safe scent I could apply?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi there, may I ask why the conure is on a mosquito net, and what it’s being used for? That way I understand the situation better before commenting.

OP
C

Cads

Dec 6, 2023
Parrots
1 Green cheeked conure
Hi there, may I ask why the conure is on a mosquito net, and what it’s being used for? That way I understand the situation better before commenting.
When we open the windows and he is out we have nets on the windows so he won't escape.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Okay that makes sense. So for that… conures are avid chewers. I have a sun & jenday. My sun isn’t as much of a chewer as my jenday.

The only suggestion I have is to buy toys, or make them for a fraction of the cost. You want to make sure to try a variety of toys as some parrots have preferences. With my conures I have to keep their beaks very busy. I make forging toys with sunflower seeds in the middle & hidden. It keeps them busy for hours. If the beaks aren’t busy they are being destructive, and probably towards something I’d prefer that they don’t chew on.

I let my conures out daily. I just open their cage doors, and let them do whatever they want. I’m always present & watching just because they can deviate from their cages, and to my kitchen cabinets. They love chewing on kitchen cabinets. It’s the best toy ever! I have had to repair one at my old house because I wasn’t paying attention.

Just be careful as your little conure is vulnerable, and may chew on unsafe things that could be harmful. Some of them like electrical cords!

OP
C

Cads

Dec 6, 2023
Parrots
1 Green cheeked conure
Okay that makes sense. So for that… conures are avid chewers. I have a sun & jenday. My sun isn’t as much of a chewer as my jenday.

The only suggestion I have is to buy toys, or make them for a fraction of the cost. You want to make sure to try a variety of toys as some parrots have preferences. With my conures I have to keep their beaks very busy. I make forging toys with sunflower seeds in the middle & hidden. It keeps them busy for hours. If the beaks aren’t busy they are being destructive, and probably towards something I’d prefer that they don’t chew on.

I let my conures out daily. I just open their cage doors, and let them do whatever they want. I’m always present & watching just because they can deviate from their cages, and to my kitchen cabinets. They love chewing on kitchen cabinets. It’s the best toy ever! I have had to repair one at my old house because I wasn’t paying attention.

Just be careful as your little conure is vulnerable, and may chew on unsafe things that could be harmful. Some of them like electrical cords!
Thanks for the advice but I know all of that. I'm asking is there a natural scent that they will stay away from. He is starting to make minimum damage to the nets which will in the future cause escape problems. I'm gonna try rosemary and vinegar spray, both things he hates but not toxic or dangerous for him.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Thanks for the advice but I know all of that. I'm asking is there a natural scent that they will stay away from. He is starting to make minimum damage to the nets which will in the future cause escape problems. I'm gonna try rosemary and vinegar spray, both things he hates but not toxic or dangerous for him.
You can certainly try natural scents. People add rosemary to their chop that they feed their parrots. There are things online like apple cider vinegar, peppermint, and chili pepper flakes that people will claim repels parrots that are safe. You can try them but my assumption is that they won’t work. Just be careful as parrots have a very sensitive respiratory system. That’s why I suggested the above.

Most Reactions

Latest posts