Citrus magic

bkbirdlady

May 16, 2023
Brooklyn
The countdown begins….Gus’s younger brother (name TBD) is coming home Sunday. I’m struggling with air freshening. I use plug ins now (which I won’t anymore) but I need a replacement. I did some research and found a recommendation for citrus magic on a bird safe product website. Does anyone have experience with it? Do you have any experience with air fresheners that you can recommend at all?

Now that I think about it, is it ok that I’ve stopped using my plug ins and am now running my AC fans to filter the air that’s in my apartment now along with leaving the windows fully open until my air purifier arrives. Does that sound ok?

Sorry for the random questions. I thought feeding my birdie right was going to be the biggest issue. How wrong I was!!!! I just don’t want to do something stupid and end up killing him.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I am not sure if it is safe or not. I wouldn't use it. I used to have a Scentsy and loved all the different scents, so I do understand. If I want to add a scent to my house, I use a natural stove top potpourri.
This is one of my favorites. You can find others online. Just stay away from the ones that suggest eucalyptus as it is not safe for birds.
  • 1 cup
    Fresh Cranberries
    Dehydrated Orange (slices)
  • 3 sprigs
    Fresh Rosemary
    Cinnamon Sticks
  • 3 teaspoons
    Whole Cloves
    Star Anise
  • 4-6 cups of water

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
The countdown begins….Gus’s younger brother (name TBD) is coming home Sunday. I’m struggling with air freshening. I use plug ins now (which I won’t anymore) but I need a replacement. I did some research and found a recommendation for citrus magic on a bird safe product website. Does anyone have experience with it? Do you have any experience with air fresheners that you can recommend at all?

Now that I think about it, is it ok that I’ve stopped using my plug ins and am now running my AC fans to filter the air that’s in my apartment now along with leaving the windows fully open until my air purifier arrives. Does that sound ok?

Sorry for the random questions. I thought feeding my birdie right was going to be the biggest issue. How wrong I was!!!! I just don’t want to do something stupid and end up killing him.
Why does your apartment smell so bad that you need to do all this? Birds don't smell bad unless you seldom clean their cages.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Why does your apartment smell so bad that you need to do all this? Birds don't smell bad unless you seldom clean their cages.
Some people just like nice smells, not necessarily that it smells bad.

Sorry OP I'm not too familiar with this product, but I'll look into it.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

Sorry OP I'm not too familiar with this product, but I'll look into

Sorry OP I'm not too familiar with this product, but I'll look into it.
I understand liking nice smells but using AC, opening windows, and using air purifiers are things that get rid of bad smells. They don't give rooms nice smells. That's why I asked why it smelled bad.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
My rule of thumb - if I can smell it, its bad for Salty. We lost a much loved BeeBee parrot to unknown causes 9 years ago, but I suspect airborne stuff because back then we had no idea on what was OK and what was not. Research has shown me that there is very little that is not harmful to parrots in the way of scents and such, especially if it is an everyday sort of thing! THats my opinion and I tend to err on the side of caution.

Stephaniedevine

Jun 5, 2023
Parrots
None

I fell for the air purifier act for a while but all it did for me was keep my immune system strong so I could not go out without major allergies.What I use now is a diffuser/humidifier with essential oil . I started using it in winter when my skin would dry out and I had trouble breathing It made everything smell nice and helped my health I tried the plug in stuff too but it left the room so stale from too much oil

OP
B

bkbirdlady

May 16, 2023
Brooklyn
My rule of thumb - if I can smell it, its bad for Salty. We lost a much loved BeeBee parrot to unknown causes 9 years ago, but I suspect airborne stuff because back then we had no idea on what was OK and what was not. Research has shown me that there is very little that is not harmful to parrots in the way of scents and such, especially if it is an everyday sort of thing! THats my opinion and I tend to err on the side of caution.
I’m sure you’re right!!! It’s an adjustment to be sure but I’m getting rid of my harmful products as I find mor information about what’s harmful. I’ll be keeping your rule of thumb on mind!

OP
B

bkbirdlady

May 16, 2023
Brooklyn
I fell for the air purifier act for a while but all it did for me was keep my immune system strong so I could not go out without major allergies.What I use now is a diffuser/humidifier with essential oil . I started using it in winter when my skin would dry out and I had trouble breathing It made everything smell nice and helped my health I tried the plug in stuff too but it left the room so stale from too much oil
Thank you!!! I was looking at Grove diffusers…. Some of the scents are right up my alley. It’s good to hear from someone who is currently using them.

Stephaniedevine

Jun 5, 2023
Parrots
None
Thank you!!! I was looking at Grove diffusers…. Some of the scents are right up my alley. It’s good to hear from someone who is currently using them.
Make sure to get one that works with water . It works a lot better than the other ones that are just like a plug in

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

I re-read your post above and see that I originally misread it. I see now that you are running the AC, opening the windows, and plan to run an air purifier to get rid of the lingering scent from the plug-ins. My original response was not appropriate and I apologize.
You are still stuck in the position where you want to "scent" the air in a bird safe way but it may not be possible to do that without risking your birds' health. Don't you find that if you add a scent to the room after a while you become so accustomed to the scent that you no longer smell it and need to add more and more to notice it? This may be where it could get bird risky- using more and more scent which may really harm the birds lungs.
Perhaps it would be safer to try to get used to not using any scent in the air.
Better yet, use your favorite perfume on your person so you can smell it but it doesn't permeate the air you bird must breathe.

Stephaniedevine

Jun 5, 2023
Parrots
None
I re-read your post above and see that I originally misread it. I see now that you are running the AC, opening the windows, and plan to run an air purifier to get rid of the lingering scent from the plug-ins. My original response was not appropriate and I apologize.
You are still stuck in the position where you want to "scent" the air in a bird safe way but it may not be possible to do that without risking your birds' health. Don't you find that if you add a scent to the room after a while you become so accustomed to the scent that you no longer smell it and need to add more and more to notice it? This may be where it could get bird risky- using more and more scent which may really harm the birds lungs.
Perhaps it would be safer to try to get used to not using any scent in the air.
Better yet, use your favorite perfume on your person so you can smell it but it doesn't permeate the air you bird must breathe.
The first thing to do is find out what your smell is coming from. I usually wipe down my walls with dish soap and water.Grease and smoke from the kitchen can travel through the walls and air especially if you live in an apartment because you get theirs too Cigarette smoke dust allergens etc all stick to the walls including the oils from the plug in I usually wash mine down every year or two and since people usually don’t wash walls all of those things build up and can affect air quality and smell People usually don’t think about those things until it starts to affect the color of their paint.

Most Reactions

Latest posts