Cleaning.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
And my bird is so worried about his basket I have to change the paper each time or he will pick up the fresh or dried droppings. Weird bird.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
You don't change them everything they poop. You do need to change them when they get full tho. I used them for a chicken before.
Does the poop get on their body/feathers?

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
And my bird is so worried about his basket I have to change the paper each time or he will pick up the fresh or dried droppings. Weird bird.
For my small travel carriers, which have no grate, I put multiple layers of white butcher paper, or safe paper towels in, to start, so I can remove the top, soiled layer, repeatedly before running out of layers.

MykaMom

Aug 24, 2019
Illinois
Parrots
Yellow Nape Amazon
Chickens
Hi all, I have a major problem that I simply didn't think of when getting my, now two, female IRN's.

Bird mess. Have any of you got tips and tricks to keep the cleaning of the birds easier and to a minimum?

I have had birds as pets for a lot of my life, but they had always been caged or only allowed out if I were there, and considering I was working full time and a parent of two, at the time, young boys, it definitely wasn't long. I can't recall this being an issue with previous birds.

My two girls are out all day, from when I get up till when they go to bed. They are both clipped so they don't fly much and they are pretty much confined to the complex that I have built for them, which is big. See photo.

I have a very large food tray that I keep all their food and water on for the day and this is taken down at night and cleaned. So it isn't food mess that is the problem... it's what comes out the other end.

How do you keep on top of all their pooping? I have a bad spine and it's just getting too much for me to handle and it's affecting my mental health too. I feel like I am living in filth and I don't know how to make it easier for me to keep clean. They poop like every 10 minutes and add this up over a day and it's a lot. Sure I could watch them and clean up after every poop but I have things to do that are more important than becoming the poop monitor. I love them but my mental state isn't coping with this well.

Please don't judge me for not thinking of this before getting them. My spinal condition is relatively new to me and having, basically free range birds, is also new to me. I only have the one cage for the both of them so caging them more, even tho it might help, I don't think it will help them to be basically locked in and not able to be with me, on me, at will. I am sure their mental state would suffer from doing that.... no matter how many toys I were to give them to play with. I am also on disability so buying another cage will be costly for me, and being in a small home, would mean I would have to shrink their play gym to accommodate the new cage.

I know that there is going to come a time in the not too distant future that I will have to release my girls to a new home as I simply won't have the space for them anymore. Being disabled means I cannot afford to rent and I am on priority listing for housing which, if successful, will mean I will have to downsize to one room. It's not something that I am looking forward too as I do love my girls but I do have to think of their health too.

I am lost and I am struggling. Any help with kind intentions will be greatly appreciated.
I hate bird poop. It dries like concrete.

I, too, am disabled and am on a low fixed income.

My Amazon hangs out on his cage(I call it his tree) and is very rarely closed in. He likes to poop over the sides, probably an instinct left from the nest. Baby birds back up to the edge of their nests and the poop goes up and out. I say up: hatchling anatomy has their vent perched up on the top of their buttons, so to speak. As they grow, the spine extends and cloaca tucks under.

I have a bad spine due to many issues. Cleaning up after Myka is a challenge, to say the least. No matter how often I swear I'm going to wipe down his cage daily, it doesn't happen. Same with his existing play tree.

I think your setup is wonderful for your birds but impractical for you. I agree, cages are ridiculously expensive. Add in your birds not getting along and it means you need 2 cages. That's not practical either. But all is not lost.

Craigslist is your best friend: search the for sale ads under pets for used, low cost(but in good condition) cages of the appropriate size. You can put up a wanted ad: you might be able to get cages for free. Many former bird owners don't know what to do with their cages. I have been given some as well as given them away.

I suggest the 2-cage solution, bridging the space between them with their enrichment perches and toys. You can place a plastic tablecloth, drop cloth, carpet piece, papers, take your pick, under the cages. I would remove the sink perches altogether.

If floor space is an issue, consider going up and suspending their habitat from the ceiling, just like a ceiling light. YouTube has many examples of clever hanging habitats. Again, leave space beneath for some type of mess catch-all.

Walls can be protected from flinging. Peel and stick wallpaper doesn't damage the wall beneath and can be washed off. Even a vinyl shower curtain can be put up using velcro picture hangers.

For cleaning, Swiffer is my best friend. It picks up dander off walls, floors, baseboards and fragile knick knacks. I have both dry and wet Swiffers. I also use Poop Off.

I have fake grass carpet under Myka's cage, big enough to protect the floor under and around the cage and play stand. It was cheap, a 12' x 4' piece made 3 -4'sq pieces. I can sweep it, vacuum it, wash it, even hose it down outside. I roll the cage off it, gather up the rug and put down a clean one.

Lastly, Many assisted living or public housing complexes DO allow pets such as birds. I know a woman, same situation, with a macaw. There was no problem with the housing authority. She has a 1 bedroom apartment.

I'm not you. I don't know what your living situation will be. I'm suggesting you think outside the box. Your birds don't have to have a palace to be safe, happy, stimulated and healthy.

Best of luck!

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
My floors where the birds go is covered with newspapers. Put down many layers, and remove the top ones that are soiled. I've done this for many years. Newspapers are free, easy to get, to pick up when pooped on, and dispose of. Has never really been a problem. And my home has had many birds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts