Clicker & Target Training

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Our (old) previous sticky on Clicker Training unfortunately had invalid links.

So, here's the new, and hopefully improved version on both Clicker & Target Training. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Re: Clicker & Target Training

I'm particularly impressed with the first article that you linked, Wendy. Very informative on clicker training, as well as giving a general glimpse of different behavioral conditioning models.

Definitely a worthwhile read.

Anyone who would like to contribute either personal observations or additional helpful links should feel free to do so.

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
Thank you! We're just getting ready to start target training, so these resources are super valuable to me and right on time.

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
very helpful land cool

but don't the birds get fat from all the treats at some point?

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
very helpful land cool

ROFLMAO! Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I honestly don't know because my fids actually respond to verbal praise MUCH more than any treats. My big macs get pine nuts - sparingly - cause they're quite....expensive. :D

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
very helpful land cool

The trick is to give them treats in small, bite-sized quantities. I, for instance, mostly use almonds and pecans for their treat incentives. But each nut gets broken down into small pieces. Enough to entice, but not enough to become anywhere near a significant portion of their diet. One or two pecans can probably serve for an entire training session for one of my birds.

And if they're flighted, it's even easier. Jolly is constantly flying back and forth, burning off any extra calories he may get from the treats.

For Maya, however, I manage the size of the portions much more carefully. She never got the opportunity to fledge, and therefore rarely indulges in flight. So the danger of her getting overweight is greater than it would be for Jolly. But again, we're talking small portions, here.

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Is there an ideal age to start clicker training? I have the clicker, Perjo is used to the click noise, but we haven't formally taken it to any exercises yet?

She will be 18 weeks old soon.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty's pine nuts get broken in half, when training. First he gets a whole one, which signals the session is starting, then 1/2 nut for each trick, and then a nut smushed up into tiny, little pieces that he eats from my hand to let him know the session is over.

Last nights color training went really well, he got 50% of them right, picking out a red or blue key from a pile of colored keys. And the first time he trained in front of an audience.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Is there an ideal age to start clicker training? I have the clicker, Perjo is used to the click noise, but we haven't formally taken it to any exercises yet?

You could actually have started already. You want to start by establishing an association between the clicker noise and getting a treat. Then between performing certain actions when prompted and hearing a click/getting a treat. Repetition and consistency will do it.
I tried the Target Training with BB. He ate the stick :(
Hahahahahaha! Funny visual.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
...Last nights color training went really well, he got 50% of them right, picking out a red or blue key from a pile of colored keys. And the first time he trained in front of an audience.

I'd love to see this. Any chance of you capturing the session on video?

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Peanut, Yellow Collar Mini Macaw -
Aaliyah, Green Wing Macaw

I started my blue and gold at about 10 weeks and shes done fine!

Bring the stick further back so that the bird has to lean in order to barely touch it with his beak

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw

I started my blue and gold at about 10 weeks and shes done fine!

Bring the stick further back so that the bird has to lean in order to barely touch it with his beak

I was joking . Well kinda. He kept breaking it . Yes I watched and red moved it and no issues BB was 20 years old . Estimate when I adopted him. Would have been a lot easier if he had been younger....... i imagine.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Hmmm... I'd forgotten BB was 20 when you got him. You've done a great job with him, Christine.

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Salty's pine nuts get broken in half, when training. First he gets a whole one, which signals the session is starting, then 1/2 nut for each trick, and then a nut smushed up into tiny, little pieces that he eats from my hand to let him know the session is over.

Last nights color training went really well, he got 50% of them right, picking out a red or blue key from a pile of colored keys. And the first time he trained in front of an audience.

Are you training him by saying just the color or are you also including the fact it's a key?

Reason I ask is I plan on training Perjo to do many of these things but also recognize some different matter and materials if possible. My plan was to teach color by using colored paper first, then reinforce it with colored numbers while introducing the concept of numbers and quantity.

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Peanut, Yellow Collar Mini Macaw -
Aaliyah, Green Wing Macaw
Target training basics

I made this video for folks on my blog that ask about it. I figured I would share it here.

Operaman20

Dec 23, 2016
So what happens if say someone (me :p) got so excited with trying this training that he skipped the initial clicker conditioning and went straight into target training, but it worked? Coco responds quite quickly to the target and loves his treat afterward. He even moved across the cage to touch the stick. My question is: should I go back and do the conditioning or should I move forward with target training?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions