Clicker & Target Training

Sfsal

Feb 20, 2017
Does anybody know where I can get the clicker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amlamb

Jun 14, 2017
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus
Blue fronted amazon
I plan on beginning clicker training tomorrow. I would like to start through the bars first for a few days, and then try it with the cage door open.

Next, I would like to target train. I plan on getting a perch outside the cage and a t-stand. Would you suggest I try to get her to stand a dowel rod at some point or target train her to the perch outside of cage? In other words, what is the best method to remove her from the cage?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
If you've had some success target training her from within the confines of the cage, and she's gotten really comfortable with it, you'll likely be able to get her out of the cage by simply opening her door and targeting an outside area. Or by targeting your own hand. By then you will have built a strong association in her mind between treats and following the pointer.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)

Sorry, just seeing this. There is actually a variety of them available on Amazon.com.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'

Dog section at any pet store should have them. I got mine at petsmart and it came with a little wrist strap thing too.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
You can do either. If a bird is perfectly adjusted and let’s you handle it, or if it’s cage aggressive, ideally you would do it outside. If the parrot is untame, it can be done in the cage.

Xander

Aug 14, 2018
Naples,Fl
What can I do if mine doesn’t wanna touch the stick? Today I sticked with clicking and offering threats, but she doesn’t have any interest in the stick..
I need an advice please,thanks .

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Xander, you have to shape the behavior. I made a video to show exactly what this looks like. In this video jump to approximately halfway through when I change shirt colors to orange. That starts the process.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions