clipped

elsaandnori

Jun 4, 2021
I just found out that the sweet amazon I found for sale is clipped and i am wondering how different it is to look after a clipped bird .
I definitely want her to grow her feathers out because i really want to free fly my birds eventually but i know they can take a long time to grow back and i am worried about a couple things:
- she will get overweight. i think she could be already as she lives in a tiny cage and is on a seed diet. Are there any ways to exercise clipped birds?
- if i did get another bird (i plan to get two) who was not clipped, they would be a threat to her (i know they may not get along anyway but could there be additional problems having a clipped and unclipped bird?)
- would she need anythings to be altered in her cage? or would it be ok to set it up like you would for a fighted bird?
i know that she would probably need more work as she is clipped and i will do some research on clipped birds (i have never really thought about owning a clipped bird) but i thought it would be helpful to ask some experienced bird owners about this first!
thanks!
(also i am not definitely getting her i just want to be prepared for the possibility:))

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
- she will get overweight. i think she could be already as she lives in a tiny cage and is on a seed diet. Are there any ways to exercise clipped birds?
there are many ways to exercise clipped birds and build up teir wing muscles!
what i di is that i let tiki step up..
after she mastered that i made it a very small jump..
and after she mastered jumping i made her flap her wings a bit and it goes on and on until she can fly a short distance
be aware my bird's feathers arnet full grown back yet and she can fly all around the house
if they build up good muscles they will be able to fly even when clipped

- if i did get another bird (i plan to get two) who was not clipped, they would be a threat to her (i know they may not get along anyway but could there be additional problems having a clipped and unclipped bird?)
never heard of any..

- would she need anythings to be altered in her cage? or would it be ok to set it up like you would for a fighted bird?
nope! just add more perches to help her get around
i really like bridges they are excellent!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Which, Amazon Species are you looking at?
The vast Amazon family cover a wide range of sizes and as a result the Species of Amazon is an important part of the discussion regarding care.

There are several types of Wing Clips that have end results from: Flights Like a Dropped Rock to Flights with Slight Restrictions. The time required to replace a full set of flight feathers (both Primary and Secondary) can take up to three years for full replacement, dependent on Age, Activity level and Diet.

Not sure where the Free-flight idea is coming from, but as the Raptor Population continues to rapidly return. Many areas of North America should be consider as no outside fly zones.

Rarely would I recommend anyone add an addition mid-to-large Parrot Species until they gather the skills and have the resources to provide the Avian Medical Care and General day in and day out costs of owning a Parrot of size.

Most Reactions

Latest posts