Cockatiel found

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot
Hi all,

I have 2 eclectus parrots so usually post in that section so am new to this sub forum.

This morning we found a Cockatiel under our trailer in the back yard. It is currently in our spare cage with food and water, and seems settled and healthy. We have made contact with all the places we can think a person might contact in the area, but the question we keep getting, is, is it male or female, how old??

It's not green or red, so I have no idea:D (male eclectus parrots are green and females are red).

I guess ultimately it shouldn't matter, as the owner will be able to identify it:rolleyes:, but this is a picture should there be some way of telling any details that I can pass on.

Thank you in advanced for any help or advice.

Thanks,

Cameron

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Definitely male, hard to tell age but definitely an adult. I'd say anywhere from 2-5 years old just guessing.

OP
camo

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots

Oh great that really helps, thank you!

WilliamKenyon

Aug 21, 2015
Media
Parrots
Mango: Male cockatiel, Ruby: Female eclectus
Yes that is definitely a male bird as its face is not the dull Grey of the hen's. Also you should keep him away from your own birds because it could have some disease that may be passed on to y oi u r birds should he come into contact with them :( . Anyway if you chose to keep him I suggest that you get a vet to check him out as ( it may just be the picture) he looks a bit sick. I hope he finds his owner and your other two munchkins are well. :D

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
It could actually be a poorly marked female bird. The light pearling suggests male, but I have seen females marked that lightly, and because the bird is pied the lack of dark coloring on the face is not a clear indicator of gender. Is the bird tame? Because honestly the best way to determine if the bird belongs to someone is by how the bird reacts to them. I would also ask anyone claiming it to show pictures, and I would suggest not showing any pictures to people until they at least describe the bird.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Cameron, I moved your thread to the "Lost and Found" section. :)

Have you put up fliers and such in an attempt to find the cockatiel's owner?

And yes, providing your location would be most helpful.

paradox54

Sep 16, 2015
Hello. I kinda doubt this is the same tiel as mine, but I want to be safe than sorry. My tiel was lost on 9/12/15 in Elkins Park, PA. Here is a photo of Nick.

kl9njtcif
PC140002.jpg

kl9njtcif

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm so very sorry to hear that Nick is missing, paradox54. :(

The OP (original poster) who found the cockatiel is located in Australia.

paradox54

Sep 16, 2015
I can safely say Nick didn't make it all the way there. Thank you tho. It's been very hard since Saturday. I have posted on every site I can think of and have contacted all the shelters and police in my area. I still have hope that someone will find her!

OP
camo

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes he is separated from my fids. Paradox54 so sorry to hear, unfortunately I'm in Australia.

I may have found the owner, I am asking more questions to see if it is their bird. I really hope it is them, I would really like to reunite him/her.

I will keep everyone updated.

Cheers,

Cameron

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Cameron, I so hope you've found the little guy's family!

Paradox54, I'm sorry about Nick, I'm hoping for his safe return.

OP
camo

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots

Cameron, I so hope you've found the little guy's family!

I really thought we had found his/her family. I was looking at my emails, and realised I had missed an email from someone who had replied to a free advert site were I had put a found advert. I was very annoyed with myself as I could only imagine how frantic I would be if Gizmo or Pebbles went missing.

The description they gave sounded close, but not quite right, my wife thought it was too much like my poor description I gave out initially, I said "mostly yellow with a little bit of gray on it's back" (this was the description they also gave). I didn't put a description in the advert, but I did tell the vets, and pet store owners, oh and one polite lady that was shopping in one of the pet stores, who happened to be wearing a uniform style shirt and was nice enough to listen to my story (she probably thought, crazy bird man:D).

I can be a sucker some times, I wanted to message back with my phone number, but my wife insisted we check some details first, her concern being it could be just someone looking for a free bird, who had perhaps overheard my description.

This bird does have two charactoristics that the owner would know, so I told them the description did not sound quite right and asked them if they had a photo, and told them about the bird having two things that would be obvious to the owner and wouldn't have occurred when it was missing (I gave an example of a missing toe, but explained it did not have a missing toe).

They sent me a photo, but they said they didn't have a recent photo

As you can see, not much help here. My wife was even more suspicious, but even though we probably have thousands of pictures of our animals, I know not everyone grabs the camera for everything. I must admit though, I would have expected they would have at least one "sitting on the arm shot".

I asked again about the distinguishing features.

Today a message came back saying "ACE" (there missing bird) was missing a toe nail, not a toe, just the nail.

The bird we have has all it's toe nails, so unfortunately we have not found it's family.

It's been 12 days since this poor bird lost it's family. On the first day, we called every vet and pet shop in the area. We have put adverts on the internet, and even walked the surrounding blocks and put flyers in leterboxes (thinking perhaps it may belong to someone without internet access). We have had 5 people ask if it might be their bird and this one was the closest, but birds don't grow back a toe nail overnight, so this can't be the owner.

I really can't believe that no one would be looking for this lovely bird:mad:!!

I wanted the happy ending to be we found it's family, but I think it is going to have to be, we found it a good home.

Cheers,

Cameron

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm sorry to hear you didn't find the right owner after all. I'm glad you are not only looking for the owners, but the genuine owners. I know the bird is being very well cared for and no matter what happens, I'm sure you'll do your best for this little bird. Thank you for trying so hard to do the right thing.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Too bad it wasn't the owner. It's disgusting that people will try to get a free (any kind of pet) by answering ads and pretending to be the owner. The pic of a chick in the nestbox, come on. Looks just like him!

Good for you Cameron, for doing the right thing and trying your best to find where this little guy came from.

OP
camo

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots

Just wanted to let everyone know, that although still homeless, Tilly (my wife named him, as she found him....oh we have decided he is a male until further information comes to hand:D), is doing very well. We had some concerns in the first few days (seemed to be lethargic, the vets advised they could not do much more than what we were already doing at home), he is now very active. He likes to step up, he still gives the occasional warning bite, you can tell he is not really trying as it feels more like he is grooming, definitely a welcome change from a bite from Gizmo.

A friend who is also a neighbor is taking care of him (temporarily, unfortunately this is not an option as a new home), this is good as it allows us to keep a close eye on him, but also separate him from our other birds. He is half way through molting, hence his drab appearance in the photo (didn't want to mention this earlier, as it was one of the characteristics to identify him).

We are now moving into stage two (re-homing), vet check, etc. I don't think any carer deserves to have Tilly back at this stage, unless they have a reallllly good reason for not searching for him.

Anyway, just wanted everyone to know he is OK and that there will be a happy ending.

Cheers,

Cameron

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
I'm so glad to hear everything is working out for this little guy! I love that your wife chose to call him Tilly, very nice fit.

Please continue to post Tilly's unfolding story. I hope he finds a very special family to give him the life he deserves.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
This is heartbreaking. We went through a similar process with Battle, however we ended up keeping her. It was so disheartening to realize such a sweet creature had no one looking for her, and had, in all likelihood, been dumped by someone leaving the island.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Same thing happened with my cockatiel, saw someone posting a found ad on craigslist, so I messaged them some resources and channels to go through to help her find her home. They ended up giving her to me since I don't think they were willing to do the work for it and didn't really want the bird (said it didn't get along with their Grey.)

I posted all over, contacted the SPCA, local vets, everything, and it's been a few months and I haven't had any luck. I was reluctant to name her because I didn't want to get too attached, but she got herself attached to me!

She doesn't have a band so it's that much harder to find the real owner, if one ever comes along. I think at this point I don't know how willing I would be to give her up since it seems like nobody has been even looking!

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
That's how I got my Rex. Noone is and or was looking for her either. The original finder could not keep her.

Most Reactions

Latest posts