Cockatiel gender?

G12sbmx

Dec 17, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hey guys :) hope you have a good day! Could anyone understand the gender of my cockatiel? He/she is 11 months old!
848799CF-949F-4DFB-B46A-EE55A93659A2.jpeg

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi! I'm sure this one is a girl! Normal grey and yellow cockatiels usually have a completely yellow heads.

David(from the youtube channel wargamingparrot) has a useful video on how to tell their gender:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hey guys :) hope you have a good day! Could anyone understand the gender of my cockatiel? He/she is 11 months old!View attachment 35013
The easiest way to pick the difference in gender from male and female cockatiels, once they have moulted into their adult plumage that is, is to have a look at the underside of their tail feathers. In males, the underside will show a solid colour, whereas females will still show that rippling colour effect in their adult plumage. Cockatiels generally moult into adult plumage anywhere between 6 and 12 months of age, so you need to bear that in mind, because up until that stage it will be difficult to tell them apart. Provided your bird definitely has it's adult plumage, just have a look at the underside of those tail feathers and it should be a pretty easy matter to tell male from female :)

OP
G12sbmx

G12sbmx

Dec 17, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
The easiest way to pick the difference in gender from male and female cockatiels, once they have moulted into their adult plumage that is, is to have a look at the underside of their tail feathers. In males, the underside will show a solid colour, whereas females will still show that rippling colour effect in their adult plumage. Cockatiels generally moult into adult plumage anywhere between 6 and 12 months of age, so you need to bear that in mind, because up until that stage it will be difficult to tell them apart. Provided your bird definitely has it's adult plumage, just have a look at the underside of those tail feathers and it should be a pretty easy matter to tell male from female :)
I think she is a female :) her feathers underside are not solid color, she has faded yellow spots so most probably a female, thanks for your help 🙏

OP
G12sbmx

G12sbmx

Dec 17, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hi! I'm sure this one is a girl! Normal grey and yellow cockatiels usually have a completely yellow heads.

David(from the youtube channel wargamingparrot) has a useful video on how to tell their gender:

Very useful video thanks 🙏

Most Reactions