Cockatiel mansion

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
When I lost a bird recently, it made me think about the level of care I was giving to my birds. Even though my female cockatiel's passing was no one's fault (she passed of liver/kidney failure), I was left devastated and it made me think about the ways I could improve to give my remaining bird a better, happier life.

Long story short, I ordered a huge, brand new cage for Boo, my lone male cockatiel, I still had the cages he and Peach came with, so I decided it was time to step up my commitment to him and now he is enjoying what I call the cockatiel mansion!

yoQudpk.jpg

PBcP7Qc.jpg

It is a double flight cage made by Mcage that I ordered off Amazon for $199, free shipping. It is huge -- 63"Length x 19"Depth x 64"Height. I love it because it has 1/2 inch bar spacing, is higher than his old cage was so he's more at my height, and has storage underneath for all his bags of food and stuff. It can either be one big cage or has a divider for the middle to make two cages, which is in place now. Boo only has access to the right side but he will be getting a couple companions on the left side in a couple months but in time I hope to open it up to make the one big cage. Even one side is huge for one bird, I think you could easily fit four cockatiels on each side comfortably. It does need assembly and the instructions on it are a waste, but my husband was able to get it together in two hours.

Left side

kY7R7fy.jpg

Right side, see Boo on a perch near the bottom right

tgBOGdh.jpg

I highly recommend this cage if you have smaller birds (parakeets, budgies, Ringnecks, Cockatiels, Conures) and want to give them more space, especially if you have other pets in the house that makes it harder to let your birds have out of cage time, this gives them the space they need if they are inside a lot of the time. I can leave the door open and Boo will still sit inside it and preen. He's not a huge toy player but has taken a liking to a pear toy. He has been in the new cage over a week now and seems to be very comfortable in it, climbing around on the different perches and ringing all the bells in the toys.

FzJbjWw.jpg

Lynne5

Oct 21, 2017
Thank you for this review! Boo looks very content.
I have been thinking about getting this exact cage for my 3 Bourke parakeets, and now I think that I will.

OP
itzjbean

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Thank you for this review! Boo looks very content.
I have been thinking about getting this exact cage for my 3 Bourke parakeets, and now I think that I will.

That's great! They'll LOVE all the room. The instructions are not great (just a single piece of paper with pictures) but it is easy to figure it out once you get all the pieces sorted and organized. It comes in two big boxes.

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (ā™€ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (ā™‚ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (ā™€ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
Boo is too cute! Iā€™m sure he loves the space! Our outdoor cage is the same size as one of the cages and I know my birds love it when they get outdoor time haha.

My birds have a bigger cage inside (probably the same size as around 3/4 of two cages above combined) and even though they have free roam of the room with a play gym with lots of toys, more often than not Opal just chills in the cage because he just enjoys the space so much [emoji23] the fact that Boo also likes to sit inside and preen is a sign of a comfortable bird, Iā€™d say!

I always say after all, the bigger the better! And Boo is really spoilt in this regard!

Also, do tell about his future companions! Exciting stuff. I know how devastating it must have been losing Peach, but I think you are really doing something positive despite the loss.

Thank you for the lovely cage review!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
itzjbean

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Also, do tell about his future companions! Exciting stuff. I know how devastating it must have been losing Peach, but I think you are really doing something positive despite the loss.

I have placed my deposit down on two baby cockatiels. :) They are from a breeder in Oklahoma and I am still waiting to hear back on their genders so the DNA test should come back this week to them. so once I hear back on that I will hopefully get a couple more pictures and be able to share! One is a whiteface pearl pied and the other is a pastelface pearl :)

smbrds

May 17, 2016
Media
Central Florida
Parrots
Normal (or not so!) Grey Cockatiel
He looks really content and comfortable in his new cage! I'm sure he's going to love all that room and activity. You are doing good. Nice review on the cage, so many just get the ''standard'' cage for smaller birds, forgetting that they need room too.

Congrats on the new tiels! Looking forward to pics.

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (ā™€ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (ā™‚ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (ā™€ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017

I have placed my deposit down on two baby cockatiels. :) They are from a breeder in Oklahoma and I am still waiting to hear back on their genders so the DNA test should come back this week to them. so once I hear back on that I will hopefully get a couple more pictures and be able to share! One is a whiteface pearl pied and the other is a pastelface pearl :)

How exciting! Can't wait to see them!

Pureblood

Feb 6, 2017
Media
Parrots
3 lovebirds (Max, Zloba & Zora)
(Pika, lovebird, RIP 11/2017) & 2 budgies (Picek & Njofra)
Oh my, this is a beautiful setup! My birds don't get a lot of out-of-cage-time, sadly, so I did the same thing, I have them housed in huge cages that were custom made.

3 lovebirds in a 75cm tall, 70cm long and 45cm wide (30 x 28 x 18 inch) cage that they can fly around and 2 budgies are in a 77cm tall, 45cm long and 50cm wide (30.3 x 18 x 20 inch) cage. If I had more room I'd definitely get them something even bigger, like this gorgeous cage you've got there!

Most Reactions

Latest posts