Cockatiel with a white-patch of pin feathers(?) under his wings

Zfelis

Dec 23, 2020
NY,NY
Parrots
Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Parakeets
I recently adopted a gray male cockatiel, about 2 years old. I found out that he has this white patch of pin(?) feathers underneath his wings. The patch on the left is bigger than the patch on the right. You couldnā€™t tell visually that thereā€™s a patch there, even when he lifts up his wings. Really had to dig through his feathers to find the patch. But once you see it, you realize that itā€™s a really big patch thatā€™s covered up by his feathers. Is this some sort of plucking problem? Or is it a type of bacterial infection?? :confused:

Attachments

• 2E736330-2379-493C-A545-470C4115F0F0.jpeg
    2E736330-2379-493C-A545-470C4115F0F0.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 3,007

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
He certainly trusts you to let you handle him like that! Mine would rip a finger off.

I'm unsure s out this. Could be kidney pain is making him pluck there.. id have a veterinarian check him and do a fecal gram stain.

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
I wouldn't worry. It is pretty normal to have areas with mostly down feathers under the wings.

Michele27

Sep 7, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
I recently adopted a gray male cockatiel, about 2 years old. I found out that he has this white patch of pin(?) feathers underneath his wings. The patch on the left is bigger than the patch on the right. You couldnā€™t tell visually that thereā€™s a patch there, even when he lifts up his wings. Really had to dig through his feathers to find the patch. But once you see it, you realize that itā€™s a really big patch thatā€™s covered up by his feathers. Is this some sort of plucking problem? Or is it a type of bacterial infection?? :confused:
Hi there, my cockatiel has the same thing ALL over his body. You would never know unless he's preening in a way where I can blow on the feathers to expose the huge patches of white blood/pin feathers on both sides. His molting has been going on for MONTHS. What happened with your bird? Did the patches eventually mature and problem solved? Or did you have to bring your bird to the vet?

Attachments

• IMG_5843.JPG
    IMG_5843.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 74

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi there, my cockatiel has the same thing ALL over his body. You would never know unless he's preening in a way where I can blow on the feathers to expose the huge patches of white blood/pin feathers on both sides. His molting has been going on for MONTHS. What happened with your bird? Did the patches eventually mature and problem solved? Or did you have to bring your bird to the vet?
I think these downy patches on cockatiels are normal. If owners of healthy 'tiels examined their birds closely they may see quite a few large areas like this under their wings and on other parts of their bodies. A 'tiel would need to be very tame to allow this kind of exam.
Any PF members with tame, healthy 'tiels- please examine your birds and solve the white downy patch mystery for all of us. Thanks!

Marimarcoco

Sep 28, 2023
Parrots
1 normal grey and 1 lutino cockatiels, and 1 lovebird
Hi, I have my boy with exactly the same, I was really worry thinking he had some kind of disease, bit I saw some cockatiel owners saying their birds have same, so maybe is just normal?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-09-28-19-54-20-283_com.miui.videoplayer.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-09-28-19-54-20-283_com.miui.videoplayer.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 52

Michele27

Sep 7, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
I showed this photo to an online vet and my wing clipper and both said its normal but what is concerning me is they don't seem to be growing, if anything they are starting to look a little chewed down. I am going to have my wing clipper take a look in a few weeks and see if they think it warrants vet visit, or if this is normal.

Anyone else have experience with this? How long did it take for these patches to mature and go away?

Marimarcoco

Sep 28, 2023
Parrots
I showed this photo to an online vet and my wing clipper and both said its normal but what is concerning me is they don't seem to be growing, if anything they are starting to look a little chewed down. I am going to have my wing clipper take a look in a few weeks and see if they think it warrants vet visit, or if this is normal.

Anyone else have experience with this? How long did it take for these patches to mature and go away?
That is exactly my thoughts, they don't look like growing, and is like they chew them, I was really worry when I saw it.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
That is exactly my thoughts, they don't look like growing, and is like they chew them, I was really worry when I saw it.
I don't think these downy patches are meant to grow or go away. I think they act as a layer of down insulation and also protect the birds' delicate skin from rubbing and chafing. My cockatiel had them as do many PF members' tiels, but I would love to hear what an avian vet has to say about them.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Both of my cockatiels have this and they're very happy and healthy so I think it's normal. Even my conures have it, though it's less extreme

Michele27

Sep 7, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
I asked my wing clipper to take a look and as long as there are no bald patches, this is totally normal. Bald spots may indicate an issue but if it's underneath its normal. He said Max is super strong and healthy! We just celebrated his 1st birthday this week - time flies!! Thank you to everyone who chimed in!

Marimarcoco

Sep 28, 2023
Parrots
I asked my wing clipper to take a look and as long as there are no bald patches, this is totally normal. Bald spots may indicate an issue but if it's underneath its normal. He said Max is super strong and healthy! We just celebrated his 1st birthday this week - time flies!! Thank you to everyone who chimed in!
Hi Michele27, so happy that your boy is doing great, yes it looks is normal, I really got so scared.
Happy birthday to the boyšŸ˜

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAX!

Most Reactions