cockatiels & budgies?

cocofigs1

New member
Joined
Oct 4, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
2
Parrots
COCO (budgie)
FIGS (budgie)
I currently have 2 budgies. Coco and Figs. I for sure know that Figs is a boy, but I'm uncertain what gender Coco is. Anyway, I really want a cockatiel! I'm not sure if they get along and/or what the placement for them would be. If anyone has any tips, facts, or info, let me know!
 
I currently have 2 budgies. Coco and Figs. I for sure know that Figs is a boy, but I'm uncertain what gender Coco is. Anyway, I really want a cockatiel! I'm not sure if they get along and/or what the placement for them would be. If anyone has any tips, facts, or info, let me know!
Welcome to the forums, @cocofigs! In my experience, cockatiels and budgies are one of the more successful interspecies pairings, and although it can never be guaranteed that any birds will get along, I think there's a good likelihood that your budgies would be accepting of a new 'tiel flockmate, and vice versa. Your potential 'tiel will need to have their own cage though, because as my (sadly now retired) avian vet always used to say, budgies often behave like that pesky little brother who always follows you around and gets right up in your face, and that certainly has always been the case with any budgie I've ever had! So your 'tiel will need their own space where they can retreat to for a little peace and quiet from time to time 🕊️
 
I've had budgies and cockatiels! It can work, but there are some precautions that need to be taken. Budgies can be bullies, so multiple food and water stations are a must. I don't recommend them being in the same cage unless you have a REEEEEAAAALLLLy big cage or an aviary. :)
 
Welcome to the forums, @cocofigs! In my experience, cockatiels and budgies are one of the more successful interspecies pairings, and although it can never be guaranteed that any birds will get along, I think there's a good likelihood that your budgies would be accepting of a new 'tiel flockmate, and vice versa. Your potential 'tiel will need to have their own cage though, because as my (sadly now retired) avian vet always used to say, budgies often behave like that pesky little brother who always follows you around and gets right up in your face, and that certainly has always been the case with any budgie I've ever had! So your 'tiel will need their own space where they can retreat to for a little peace and quiet from time to time 🕊️
Thank you so much! Your avian vet sounds very accurate!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom