College Ideas and Options

OP
SomePeopleHaveBirds

SomePeopleHaveBirds

Jan 30, 2019
Michigan... Thinking of moving to the state of New
Parrots
N/A but hopes I get chosen oh please oh please
Well my school hasn't offered yet they might offer it in the 9th grade (which I'm going to). I could ask about and check into it. I was also thinking about doing duel enrollment, which is what I'm going to do.

Do you have any other pets other than birds?

I'm really interested in learn about multiple animals, like birds, dogs, cats reptiles and any other animals that are kept by beginningers to experts. I'm thinking it might be too much on my plate but I'm willing to learn.
I'm guessing I should just basically work at a zoo with all kinds of animals not just birds. I would like a job like that working at a zoo with many different animals.
I mean if I do, I'll be able to have enough experience to own a pet.
Like if I became a trainer and a vet, and I've been working for say 10 years I'll probably be an experienced person by then and I'll be able to own say a bird that is difficult to work with for first time people.
Like I would be trying to work my way up by going to college and studying, instead of how many people do it, get a "starter" bird and keep throwing away bird until they get to their dream one.
Instead I would decide to go the educational route like being a vet or trainer or both while enjoying what I do.
This is an example but:
Am I able to do that? Or is that also a wrong way to do it too?

Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
LOL the only way to get experience...is going out there an do stuff ;)

No idea what the 9th grade is (we all have different schoolsystems).

A lot of people here have multiple species running, flapping, hopping, skittering etc. around the house.
(see the topics about those)

sometimes gaining (more) experience is no fun at all!:

I just spend a part of my morning devising a better mousetrap at/for work and finding my cockroach-traps almost too full.
(Yup, tropical part of the botanical gardens => tropical unwanted critters as well.)
My mousetraps suck :p I do not want them to suffer, but I also really do not like to have to end their lives myself ( so sue me!) so they turned out to be too mouse-friendly and they just escaped (again).

Back to the drawing-board...

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
LOL the only way to get experience...is going out there an do stuff ;)

No idea what the 9th grade is (we all have different schoolsystems).

A lot of people here have multiple species running, flapping, hopping, skittering etc. around the house.
(see the topics about those)

sometimes gaining (more) experience is no fun at all!:

I just spend a part of my morning devising a better mousetrap at/for work and finding my cockroach-traps almost too full.
(Yup, tropical part of the botanical gardens => tropical unwanted critters as well.)
My mousetraps suck :p I do not want them to suffer, but I also really do not like to have to end their lives myself ( so sue me!) so they turned out to be too mouse-friendly and they just escaped (again).

Back to the drawing-board...

She just starting High school as a freshman 1st year in High school, which I took it as she stated before she was a Junior 3rd year in High school. Typically collage programs won't be available to 3rd year in high school. She to young to work yet as in the states you have to be 16 and older to get a permit and 18 then you can legally work without a permit in most states. Unless they changed the law? If she in 9th grade then she between 14-15 years old. So she has plenty of time.

Last edited:
OP
SomePeopleHaveBirds

SomePeopleHaveBirds

Jan 30, 2019
Michigan... Thinking of moving to the state of New
Parrots
N/A but hopes I get chosen oh please oh please
Yeah, I'm planning early I guess. (I mean if you call this planning really early, I don't really see it as that really). I'm pretty reasonable for an 8th grader huh? (Guessing the answer is no but that's ok) I've finally revealed myself! I came on here for advice on what to do so I can get my plan together and research.
I bet there are many children like me, but not really enough of people like me sadly. I do wish I can get smarter.
I know people are like what is a child doing planning such big plans shouldn't they be living sweet childhood? I just decided to plan because I read a few stories how people didn't plan ahead and messed up really badly. I have a bit of hope that I won't end up like them. I do love childhood yes, but since 18 is around the corner why not plan now?
I'm one who calls a half decade around the corner, it really is. I'm telling you these children go up so fast, and I'm one of them. Might as well prepare.

Last edited:

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Yeah, I'm planning early I guess. (I mean if you call this planning really early, I don't really see it as that really). I'm pretty reasonable for an 8th grader huh? (Guessing the answer is no but that's ok) I've finally revealed myself! I came on here for advice on what to do so I can get my plan together and research.
I bet there are many children like me, but not really enough of people like me sadly. I do wish I can get smarter.
I know people are like what is a child doing planning such big plans shouldn't they be living sweet childhood? I just decided to plan because I read a few stories how people didn't plan ahead and messed up really badly. I have a bit of hope that I won't end up like them. I do love childhood yes, but since 18 is around the corner why not plan now?
I'm one who calls a half decade around the corner, it really is. I'm telling you these children go up so fast, and I'm one of them. Might as well prepare.

It actually quite refreshing and very impressive. It best you plan early, the earlier the better? Most kids don't plan ahead and one of the main issues today. You also want to start looking at colleges and the high school you are planing on enrolling in. Make sure it is a good school that highly rated and that you have to have high test scores to get in. It makes a different when choosing and getting accepted in a good university/college down the road. Make sure they have good programs in place and have advanced placement courses college credit available, or college excel programs available at the High School you are planing on attending. As you want to go to medical school after general college down the road? Your parents can help you with this and plenty of information online on schools now a days.

BTW I had my first parrot since around 9 years old and read books on them before hand, but was a different time back then. So no you are not to young and at least you are doing the research and want to work with birds first, which most adults don't even do the basic research required and impulse buy and one of the main reason so many birds end up being re-homed.

Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Overhere you are allowed (some jobs, limited hours) to work when you are 15 and up.
So you are in the 'possible reasonable-range' ;)

We have had some under 18 people coming in - always paired with an adult because of the rules and regs of the insurence companies of course- to lend a hand in the (wild) birdshelter here.
(There are no parrot-ones around here.)
Any child with reasonable motorskills -8 years and up- kan feed a sick/baby bird, and the younger you are the better eyesight you have (and having smallish hands also sometimes really helps). Esp. during the breeding season (when we get all those "orphaned" babies) those extra hands really were a big help!

Just aim high -> go to vet-school and study if you can, if not ... there are so many other options that are just as fun/ challenging.
Even if you only had the brain of a diplodocus and wanted to work with animals there is a way- but you are way smarter, so who knows !?

Most Reactions