Need help with my Crimson Bellied Conure

Birdlover#1981

Apr 25, 2024
PLEASE I need help with a decision. I bought a CBC (Seren) from a reputable breeder in Dallas in July of 2021. She will be 3 yrs old tomorrow. We really bonded and she was so sweet and sat on my shoulder and wanted to give me kisses. However, it became that I could not leave the room without her yelling, so whether she was out of the cage or not would move the cage ( it was on rollers) into every room I went in. On several occasions, she would walk into the bathroom if I was in there and wanted me to pick her up. She then bit me on the lips twice when I went to kiss her. Should have known better the 2nd time. Was bitten several times after that as well, on the last occasion bit me so hard hanging on flapping her wings. She would pick at her feathers as well.

I have a great relationship with the breeder and called her and discussed with her thought it was hormonal and Harrison Pellets which can cause hormone levels to rise. The breeder even talked to several Avian behaviorists and suggested was probably hormones too and she bonded with me and thought I was her mate when of course could not reciprocate started getting aggressive. When given to the breeder Seren would not let go of me at first.. Crushing!!!! A day later put her with a male and the next morning they were sitting together and she has been great since, no longer on the pellets and not picking at her feathers. She and the male sleep next to each other at nite. and play during the day. He is a chilled bird, Seren had an accident when younger and has some toes missing, the male has a deformed beak and both of them have had surgeries and been handled a lot by humans and were hand raised and fed. Guess a little handicapped pair...lol Breeder ( has been breeding for 40 years) and her Vet thought since she was handled so much by humans would be an even greater bird.

She told me I was welcome to take them both back and see how they did. It has been over a month since have seen Seren and have been so heartbroken and crying a lot!!!! Missing the companionship.

I
nitially when relinquished her planned on getting one of her hand raised Bourkes! Breeder said to think about it and do what I thought was best behind me either way 100%. If I take them both a little apprehensive about her biting and not sure can go through giving up again. The breeder is probably best to deal with her and her needs she would never sell either one of them. Thinking maybe start new with a Bourke and eventually would get another one. Have always had birds due to allergies with dogs and cats. Hoping no one would think I did not love my CBC if don't feel can emotionally give her up again and cause more trauma. Want to do what is best for Seren that is what we all want for our pets!!! Please ned some advice.

Blessings,
Jan

Saravp

Aug 20, 2023
Parrots
None
Okay its clear you two have a great bond. If she's three then i'd say its definitely hormones. Imo before placing her with another "mate" a few other things should have been tried. hormones are natural, and can never be fully stopped, but the symptoms can be at least mostly stopped. Im assuming you still have her cage at home? If not then just try and remember everything thats in it. Anything that can be seen as a "nesty" area needs to be removed. Dont even have blankets or snuggle huts, in or out of her cage. Even things like paper lining at the bottom of the cage that she can go under or a certain toy or a platform perch at the back and darkest corner of the cage. In fact i would remove anything in the back corner of the cage at all. Also when she's out do not let her get under anything at all. Weather thats under a chair or bed or anything like that.
Also avoid warm or mushy foods, as they are similar to the regurgitated foods that a birds mate would feed them in the wild.

Next with the screaming when you leave the room. This is probably because she is used to having 100% of your attention and gets mad the moment you turn away. This could also be stress related to not knowing if your coming back. A birds instinct is to stay with its mate at all costs. In the wild if the mate is gone and doesn't come back for a while, it would probably mean that he or she is dead. I suggest you establish a routine so that she understands when you are coming and when you are leaving. Make a routine for getting out of the cage and going back in for bed. Lets say she comes out of the cage in the morning at 8:00 and goes to bed at 7:00. Play around with it. One day take her out at 8:30, the next at 8:10 then 8:00. just switch it around a little so she doesn't get dependent on the exact time, but she knows roughly when its going to be.
Set reminders on your phone to reward her and give her cuddles when she's being quiet, and just completely ignore her when she's screaming, even leave the house if you have to. She'll soon learn that being quiet gets her what she wants. Just be careful not to take her being good for granted.
I dont advise giveing her away and starting again with a bourke, as once they reach sexual maturity, you'll have to start over. If you do decide to start over, i suggest you get an easier bird like a cockatiel that's less complicated and much easier to handle.
Best of luck to both of you

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
I have a crimson bellied conure and for three years she was unmanageable, constantly screaming and trying to attack me. I tried everything to get her to calm down but nothing worked. Finally I removed the pellets from her diet and she's fine now.

I know this goes against every advice that people would give you but if you take her back don't feed her pellets. Mine is now on chop, seeds and a small amount of cooked foods and she's a completely different bird. I give her vitamins sprinkled on her food and in her water and she's a lot happier and healthier this way. I feed pellets twice a week now and she seems alright with that amount, but any more and her behaviour issues come back.

Ecletctus parrots aren't supposed to have pellets so I don't think it's a stretch to say crimson bellied conures might also react negatively to them. You can have a healthy bird without feeding pellets. I was a big advocate for pellets as well but seeing the reaction my birds had, I don't think they're good for all birds at all. Even my budgies and cockatiels are more well behaved without so many pellets.

Saravp

Aug 20, 2023
Parrots
None
I have a crimson bellied conure and for three years she was unmanageable, constantly screaming and trying to attack me. I tried everything to get her to calm down but nothing worked. Finally I removed the pellets from her diet and she's fine now.

I know this goes against every advice that people would give you but if you take her back don't feed her pellets. Mine is now on chop, seeds and a small amount of cooked foods and she's a completely different bird. I give her vitamins sprinkled on her food and in her water and she's a lot happier and healthier this way. I feed pellets twice a week now and she seems alright with that amount, but any more and her behaviour issues come back.

Ecletctus parrots aren't supposed to have pellets so I don't think it's a stretch to say crimson bellied conures might also react negatively to them. You can have a healthy bird without feeding pellets. I was a big advocate for pellets as well but seeing the reaction my birds had, I don't think they're good for all birds at all. Even my budgies and cockatiels are more well behaved without so many pellets.
I agree
From what ive seen seeds and veggies work just fine. For my birds when i switched off pellets, they were a lot happier and their feathers got a lot shinier.

OP
Birdlover#1981

Birdlover#1981

Apr 25, 2024

I agree
From what ive seen seeds and veggies work just fine. For my birds when i switched off pellets, they were a lot happier and their feathers got a lot shinier.

I agree
When I gave her back to the breeder she took her off the Harrison Pellets, and noticed a change in her mood and feathers. Then put her with the male CBC and now they are joined at the hip. Had only put her on Harrisons because the Vet had suggested and stated bird would be healthier and live a longer life. Was on Higgins Safflower Gold and loved it, what did I know felt bad. Now that she is content with the male not sure to upset her and take her back with the male of course. The breeder is behind me 100% either way. If taking her back and the male may want to breed and don't want to deprive them of that and not comfortable starting that. And he is her focused now am sure. Just want her to be happy was my emotional support bird when my Mom died 3 years.... Thanks for all the advice and help is really appreciated!

OP
Birdlover#1981

Birdlover#1981

Apr 25, 2024
Okay its clear you two have a great bond. If she's three then i'd say its definitely hormones. Imo before placing her with another "mate" a few other things should have been tried. hormones are natural, and can never be fully stopped, but the symptoms can be at least mostly stopped. Im assuming you still have her cage at home? If not then just try and remember everything thats in it. Anything that can be seen as a "nesty" area needs to be removed. Dont even have blankets or snuggle huts, in or out of her cage. Even things like paper lining at the bottom of the cage that she can go under or a certain toy or a platform perch at the back and darkest corner of the cage. In fact i would remove anything in the back corner of the cage at all. Also when she's out do not let her get under anything at all. Weather thats under a chair or bed or anything like that.
Also avoid warm or mushy foods, as they are similar to the regurgitated foods that a birds mate would feed them in the wild.

Next with the screaming when you leave the room. This is probably because she is used to having 100% of your attention and gets mad the moment you turn away. This could also be stress related to not knowing if your coming back. A birds instinct is to stay with its mate at all costs. In the wild if the mate is gone and doesn't come back for a while, it would probably mean that he or she is dead. I suggest you establish a routine so that she understands when you are coming and when you are leaving. Make a routine for getting out of the cage and going back in for bed. Lets say she comes out of the cage in the morning at 8:00 and goes to bed at 7:00. Play around with it. One day take her out at 8:30, the next at 8:10 then 8:00. just switch it around a little so she doesn't get dependent on the exact time, but she knows roughly when its going to be.
Set reminders on your phone to reward her and give her cuddles when she's being quiet, and just completely ignore her when she's screaming, even leave the house if you have to. She'll soon learn that being quiet gets her what she wants. Just be careful not to take her being good for granted.
I dont advise giveing her away and starting again with a bourke, as once they reach sexual maturity, you'll have to start over. If you do decide to start over, i suggest you get an easier bird like a cockatiel that's less complicated and much easier to handle.
Best of luck to both of you
Thanks for the great advice. Never had any of those things in her cage, and the breeder has her back now and put her with a male and she is content and they are joined at the hip. Took off the pellets and the hormones have calmed down. The breeder has told me welcomed to take her back with the male of course. But if they want to breed am not equipped to start that. Have had cockatiels they are sweet. Thanks again

Saravp

Aug 20, 2023
Parrots
None
When I gave her back to the breeder she took her off the Harrison Pellets, and noticed a change in her mood and feathers. Then put her with the male CBC and now they are joined at the hip. Had only put her on Harrisons because the Vet had suggested and stated bird would be healthier and live a longer life. Was on Higgins Safflower Gold and loved it, what did I know felt bad. Now that she is content with the male not sure to upset her and take her back with the male of course. The breeder is behind me 100% either way. If taking her back and the male may want to breed and don't want to deprive them of that and not comfortable starting that. And he is her focused now am sure. Just want her to be happy was my emotional support bird when my Mom died 3 years.... Thanks for all the advice and help is really appreciated!
Best of luck to both of you, i hope it works out

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Cockatiel- Volkan
Blue budgie- Lightning
Even if you took both of them and they mated and laid an egg, it doesn't mean you have to have babies. The eggs won't start growing any chicks until they're incubated so you can just dispose of them. I have several pairs in my flock and they lay eggs sometimes but I don't let them keep them because I don't want them to breed so I discourage them from it.

I wish you the best in deciding what to do!

OP
Birdlover#1981

Birdlover#1981

Apr 25, 2024
Even if you took both of them and they mated and laid an egg, it doesn't mean you have to have babies. The eggs won't start growing any chicks until they're incubated so you can just dispose of them. I have several pairs in my flock and they lay eggs sometimes but I don't let them keep them because I don't want them to breed so I discourage them from it.

Thanks so much for explaining that to me. Laying the eggs doesn't make the female more hormonal?

Thanks so much for the advice. Wouldn't she become more hormonal after laying the eggs? How does your birds react when you don't let them keep them? Thanks I appreciate your help

OP
Birdlover#1981

Birdlover#1981

Apr 25, 2024

That picture of your birds is Adorable!!! OMG

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Cockatiel- Volkan
Blue budgie- Lightning
Thanks so much for explaining that to me. Laying the eggs doesn't make the female more hormonal?

Thanks so much for the advice. Wouldn't she become more hormonal after laying the eggs? How does your birds react when you don't let them keep them? Thanks I appreciate your help
They only really lay eggs when they're already hormonal, so laying them doesn't make them worse since they're already hormonal.

Some people give them fake eggs and then let them lay on them a few weeks until they realise the eggs aren't hatching and they give up. I tend to get rid of the eggs once I realise they've laid them, but whilst they're not looking so they don't know it's me that's taken the eggs. Changing their cages around usually stops them being hormonal once they start, as well as not giving them a place to lay eggs.

I'm incredibly lucky that none of my birds bite me even when they're hormonal, but I don't tend to handle them a great deal unless I have treats and they know I won't give them a treat if they bite me.

OP
Birdlover#1981

Birdlover#1981

Apr 25, 2024
They only really lay eggs when they're already hormonal, so laying them doesn't make them worse since they're already hormonal.

Some people give them fake eggs and then let them lay on them a few weeks until they realise the eggs aren't hatching and they give up. I tend to get rid of the eggs once I realise they've laid them, but whilst they're not looking so they don't know it's me that's taken the eggs. Changing their cages around usually stops them being hormonal once they start, as well as not giving them a place to lay eggs.

I'm incredibly lucky that none of my birds bite me even when they're hormonal, but I don't tend to handle them a great deal unless I have treats and they know I won't give them a treat if they bite me.
Thanks so much for the info it is appreciated!

Most Reactions

Latest posts