so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
We had a momentary power outage and it wiped out my laptop.

Itā€™s an old pc and the battery has been dead for a long time.
I am hoping itā€™s only the operating system and not the secondary H.D.

I have to make a bootable repair/recovery drive and see what can be salvaged

I have a much newer laptop but I use it only for games and bills.
I donā€™t let it go wandering in questionable neighborhoods.

Photo and video editing software all gone.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Howdy, rarely is everything damaged! Also, almost all systems have built in recovery partitions! If the drive is spinning, itā€™s good 90%!
FYI, third party batteries are as cheap as $12! Not the best quality, but compared to $80!
It gives that 5 minute buffer needed!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The wandering power outages that California has been faced with must be a nightmare. The want to switch your power panel 'main switch' to the 'off' position is becoming ever more important to bring your home safely back on line after a power outage. Best practice is to switch each of your individual breakers off, then switch off the main. When power is restored, reverse the process by turning on the main switch first, than each of the individual breakers.

The outage brings problems. But, just as troublesome is the surge that follows when you're plugged in and power is fully restored. Then there is the joy of a brown-out when the power is reduced to a single incoming line. They are nightmares for 240 V equipment, but can screw with sensitive 120 V devises. The ugly, but rare version is when the supply voltage is cut in half on the voltage side.

Depending on your comfort with your power panel, and willingness to play around within it! Consider upgrading your power panel by added an 'whole house' surge protector. Requires two open breaker spaces next to each other for the double switch breaker and space outside the panel next to those breakers for the surge protection unit.

Less expense is a power stripe that has not only an on-off switch, but a built in surge protector. The number of computer controlled devises in our homes is increasing yearly, especially in the kitchen, but also the laundry room and the heating cooling unit.

As power outages become near standard now a days. Upgrading (protecting) against surges is becoming very important.

Superior advise regarding the goings' on within one computer was provided above!

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Sorry to hear that Wes. We have among the nation's highest power costs yet are plagued with occasional outages. Hope you can restore your computer as much as possible.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Pc is back up.
I just had to restore some of the BIOS settings.

The pc is plugged into a power strip/surge suppressor but cuz itā€™s a laptop I didnā€™t think it was much of a problem.

The power just blinked to fast to respond to.

I just have to get a new battery.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
ugh- good think you had a plan. I HATE computer issues.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Pc is back up.
I just had to restore some of the BIOS settings.

The pc is plugged into a power strip/surge suppressor but cuz itā€™s a laptop I didnā€™t think it was much of a problem.

The power just blinked to fast to respond to.

I just have to get a new battery.

As I said, do some searches, oem batteries are dirt cheap!

Most Reactions