considering 2 new adoptions...need help

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
my cousin called me a few days ago, wondering if I would be willing to take her two birds that she must sell for personal reasons. She has had them on Kijiji for quite some time.
One is a 1.5 year old White Cap Pionus, the other is a 2 year old female Jardine.
Both are hand tamed
she is willing to sell me both birds, with both of their parrot cages,toys,and a year supply of Pretty Bird Pellets for $700.00~~an amazing deal
both birds are in excellent health, banded.
I have met them once before, the Pionus was more approachable, where the Jardine was more cautious.

here are the issues: I approached my husband about this and his first reaction was no &^%$# way!...ok...honey lets discuss this.
after discussing the options, he was more open to the idea, on one condition.
I have to re-home Ninja, that was his condition, not mine. :mad:

for all intense purposes, my husband always lets me make my decisions when it comes to my birds, he has always been very supportive and has never complained, and I own over 30 + birds.:D

My hubby is all for 2 more quiet birds, and re-home Ninja. I have taken a lot of flack over the past 3 months of having Ninja here, but in all seriousness I think it's time he find a new home. He gives my daughter daily head aches, my husband doesn't care for him at all, but my son is where my heart lies.
He is Autistic, and can't take him anymore.
Ninja has added a significant amount of stress in our family since he has been here, and I'm at my breaking point.
I love Ninja, but he just is way to loud for our family lifestyle, and my family must come first.

Anyways, I have some other concerns about these potential two birds.
One is the Jardine. I already own my senegal Safari. I'm concerned if Safari would get jealous? Safari is fine when I am with my other birds, but considering the Jardine is in the same family as Safari I'm just curious if that would trigger more problems, as in competition, etc...
I would have to start fresh with both birds, and earn trust, bonding etc...

Also,these two birds have not been around other birds,, which is another issue I must consider, again the Jardine is a bit of a concern. I think the Pionus is much more laid back and would be easier to introduce to my other birds when the time is right, of course it would be gradually, but I know nothing is certain.

It took Safari 5 straight months before he became accustomed to have other birds around him when out of the cage, I'm thinking the Jardine may have a difficult time here.

I don't have to take both birds,or either bird for that matter, but there is plenty to consider.
I do know my birds will be fine with new comers, they always are.
Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

Mitchan

Jun 24, 2013
Sweden
Parrots
Meg the Indian Ringneck, Drogon the BF Amazon, Leia the Alexandrine, Donnie the YC Amazon
I already own my senegal Safari. I'm concerned if Safari would get jealous? Safari is fine when I am with my other birds, but considering the Jardine is in the same family as Safari I'm just curious if that would trigger more problems, as in competition, etc...
If Safari doesn't mind you being with the other birds, I don't see why he would have anything against a Jardine's? :eek: I don't think the species being in the same family is relevant at all, and I'm pretty sure he won't even know they're "related". :) - If anything, he might prefer her over the other birdies, since they probably kind of do "speak the same language", as in general behaviour and body language - but I personally don't think he'll react any differently from your other birds at all. :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I feel your family's pain for the screaming from a conure, the two I used to have drove me half way insane after 3 years....Same thing with Java the U2, the none stop screaming cause a havoc in my household. The screaming part from him I can tolerate but being dangerous is another thing. I always worry about him getting out when I'm not home as my partner will have nothing to do with him cause he tried to fly attack my partner one too many times. Plus he tried to kill my other birds when they flew on his cage so I worry about anyone escaping and got on his cage when I'm not home. So after some deep consideration I let him go as it was for the best. So I totally feel you after having to give up one of my babies for the best considering the rest of the family. My household is quiet once again and no more havoc or argument over Java. But most of all, I noticed my other birds are happier without him here, I don't think they liked him.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
thank you to both of you
@Mitchan- I agree with what u said, I'm really hoping that Safari will get along with the Jardine. like u said they speak the same language so here's to hoping that it works out.

@Mikeytn-if I had any inclination that he was that loud when I bought him, I would never had brought him home.....live and learn

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hiya Beth...please don't feel badly or guilty about the possibility of finding Ninja a new home. :)

The Pionus and Jardine both sound lovely, and like a GREAT match to your flock. :)

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Hiya Beth...please don't feel badly or guilty about the possibility of finding Ninja a new home. :)

The Pionus and Jardine both sound lovely, and like a GREAT match to your flock. :)

thanks, Wendy, it's such a hard decision, but I think it's for the best. if he was quieter, he would remain here.
the problem is no one wants to buy a loud bird, how in the world am I going to find him a new home?....
he's been on Kijiji on and off for a few weeks, and I have had one response.
she was pretending for Ninja to be her pet, but the way she worded things, I could tell she was a breeder, so I basically told her to take a hike :D:eek:

Most Reactions

Latest posts