Considering adopting an 18 year old U2

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
What will be will be. I just wanted to point out the challenges that come with age. If age is not a concern, visit MyToos.com and then read all of the cockatoo posts on here. This bird was re-homed for dust and screaming, so there is a behavioral concern (not impossible to fix, but not imaginary either). I wish you luck in whatever you decide.

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
This person is just asking, so I am being as honest as I can.

I appreciate what you are saying and the fact that it needs to be said. I agree everyone who takes in a bird regardless of species should be well informed about what to expect.

I appreciate all the info you bring to us and the time you expend bringing it to us.

I never wanted a 2 because I did my research over the years and raised nephews, nieces, and my own brat. I was done with toddlers!:(
But then "Anna" AKA Anakin needed a home in a hurry as the previous owner(who had only had him for three days) was threatening to have him put down. I happened to be in the right part of the country and state to give him a home. It was only supposed to be until I could get him on a good diet, healthy, and find a good home for him. Well that was the plan for about three weeks and then I had to inform the family that they could leave but the U2 was staying. It's been almost 6 months and they are finally acting like they forgive me.:eek:

Again I appreciate all you do.:)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Noodles, I would run across the street if I saw a cockatoo needing a home! The pet store I visited earlier today has an umbrella cockatoo who has been sold and returned about five times I think , due to screaming crazynes!! She is never going to be sold again and is the store mascot! In the store, with everyone allowed to pet her, and out all day, with a huge 15 feet high ten by ten cage filled with a bazillion things to chomp and puzzle forage toys, and having almost chewrd through the wood holding the one glass side of her cage she seems lovely, then you read the letter next to her reading all the drama and difficult stories of her past experiences with owners who had macaws, or grey Parrots and were experienced parrot owners before getting her, and who could not handle her! I get it. And you are needed to share all the too info!! But this bird probably has to go home with someone, and if the op listens to you, does additional research , I just don't think her age should stop her, if all else is green. ;) I personally thank you for sharing your knowledge!!!

Last edited:
OP
kozykitty

kozykitty

Dec 29, 2015
Columbia, Maryland
Parrots
Gloria, BFA, adopted on Jan. 9, 2016 when she was 30 years old
. Her mom went to a nursing home.
Also have 2 cats (Rangerand Luna) and a 24 year old aquatic turtle, named Elvis.
Thank you all for your valuable comments which gave me the type of information I was looking for. I've never been one to make impulsive decisions where animals are concerned because I understand that they are commitments and I consider them to be family members. I have a lot to ponder. My current bird is such an easy one and I certainly need to learn more about Snow (the U2) and spend some time with her before I can seriously make any kind of decision. As far as her behavior goes--I was told that she just screams in the morning. I've always considered that to be fairly routine parrot behavior--at least when it's limited to a certain time of day and absent other behaviors. It's like having a kid--you take the good with the bad. One of my closest friends had a U2 and an orange wing which I was able to spend a lot of time with and they were both pretty mellow sweet birds. That U2 was the reason I've always been intrigued by them. She was a really sweet affectionate bird.

Thanks again for the advice.

sunshine.within

Sep 19, 2018
Oh she’s beautiful!

I am a fairly new U2 mom and never ever thought I’d be one. My Bianca basically chose me and now we’re family. She’s also a rather tame and sweet U2, like Snow, so I guess they really exist! LOL
Anyway, I’m probably the least knowledgeable around here but what I can say is that, just like I couldn’t bear to see Bianca being left all alone in her cage at my friend’s house, without ever being let out and without interaction, I couldn’t bear to leave Snow in a pet shop at age 18 knowing that she could spend her life being adopted by a long list of people who will simply return or re-home her for years on end., completely ruining her life and personality.
Aside from this thought process though, I think that with dedication and patience these wonderful creatures can really become angel lifelong companions.
We left for a little road trip today and Bianca is in her carrier, simply basking in her love for us and for finally having a family. We didn’t hear a peep from her for the past seven hours since we left home.
I wish you all the best with your decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunshine.within

Sep 19, 2018
I’m dropping this here since it’s one of my most favorite cockatoo videos

[ame="https://youtu.be/xADtKIO0e5s"]Dr. Laurie Hess Examines a 58-year-old Moluccan Cockatoo .MP4 - YouTube[/ame]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
They are often sweet and affectionate--they can be so much fun in the right setting. Tame isn't the biggest issue, so much as neuroticism, screaming and plucking (when bored, or away from preferred person). In a car or small room, my U2 is an angel (mostly). She wants to be with me wherever I am, which is sweet, but obnoxious (and while flock behavior, certainly unhealthy in a human world). They take things very personally and they get upset over absences etc. They are very sensitive and when they go into self-destruct mode, look out! Mine has never gotten to that point, but if you look online, you will see that the majority of Toos have a collar around their necks to prevent them from tearing their own skin/plucking feathers. This is not a "normal" behavior, but it seems to be the "norm" for many, if not most, captive "toos".

They live for so long, that that sensitivity often works against them...Not always, but often.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I went back and looked at Snows picture, she does have an exceptional sweet face, and soft eyes... I hope you keep us updated on your final decision.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I am older--64. That's something I've considered. I hate the idea of a bird having to be rehomed at some point. My Amazon is 33 and I adopted her 3 years ago--figuring that maybe we'd kick the bucket around the same time. I've always adopted older animals since they are often overlooked. I'm a retired teacher and I do a lot of work from home stuff so I spend a lot of time with Gloria (BFA). I appreciate any input. I'm not dead set on doing this but I am interested in possibly doing it. I want to do what is best for the bird.

So you are 64 and Snow is 18. You might live until your mid 90s or longer in relative good health and your cockatoo would be late 40s. With a close bond this would represent the best 30 years of her life and prepare her for another family. Second scenario may see Snow adopted into a mediocre home with younger folks albeit with longevity potential.

Please consider the unknowable lost opportunity costs for you and Snow if arbitrary values of age and stereotypical behaviors are applied.

OP
kozykitty

kozykitty

Dec 29, 2015
Columbia, Maryland
Parrots
Gloria, BFA, adopted on Jan. 9, 2016 when she was 30 years old
. Her mom went to a nursing home.
Also have 2 cats (Rangerand Luna) and a 24 year old aquatic turtle, named Elvis.
So you are 64 and Snow is 18. You might live until your mid 90s or longer in relative good health and your cockatoo would be late 40s. With a close bond this would represent the best 30 years of her life and prepare her for another family. Second scenario may see Snow adopted into a mediocre home with younger folks albeit with longevity potential.

Please consider the unknowable lost opportunity costs for you and Snow if arbitrary values of age and stereotypical behaviors are applied.

I've considered this as well. This is the way it was with my Amazon. Her elderly owner went to a home when the Amazon (Gloria) was 30. It felt like a perfect fit to me--having Gloria go from one older lady to another less older lady. Her transition was easy in so many ways. She was quiet for 3 days then started calling both my husband and me "mother" as if she understood that we were her new family. She's been a joy. She is a very calm bird and she is my first consideration when considering a second bird. I worry less about whether or not I can care of the 2nd bird and more about how it would affect Gloria.:green:

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Birds are flock Animals , coded into their DNA lol. But that doesn't mean two birds will get along. I found introductions over a group feed , in used my breakfast bar, and had lots of stuff spread around indifferent dishes, I got everyone in a happy mood, then add them one by one far apart, and let them decide to come together when they wanted to. Worked very well, but some miscommunication between Penny and Ta-dah led to fights for awhile, they are very tolarant if each other now but not friends. I think CristaNL has mentioned you aren't allowed to keep one parrot on it's own, but she will have to explain their laws. As you can see a bazillion of us on here have more than one. ;) I think it's one then bam you have five!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts