Considering an ekkie

Milkteeth

Nov 17, 2021
New England
Parrots
Pineapple greencheek
Hi all! So, after recently getting my first bird (a lovely little conure, she’s a delight), I’ve found that this has rekindled something of an obsession with ekkies! I met one for the first time when I was a child, she was a beautiful girl who was kept at a feed store I used to go to. I was enamored with them, but my father didn’t like birds so I never owned any!
Now that I have an actual grasp on avian husbandry, I’m really starting to consider an ekkie in the next year or so.
For some more information- I’m 20, I work a fulltime job, I’ve had animals my entire life and have cared for high maintenance animals such as reptiles and amphibians for a good portion of my life. I’m an extreme homebody. I don’t go out much, I don’t travel, I don’t drive. My conure currently stays in the spare bedroom where cats are not allowed, we spend mornings together and we’re together all night after work until bed. On my days off, she is out of her cage from when we wake up until bedtime. When the weather warms up, we’ll work on harness training so I can bring her everywhere with me (any sort of activities on days off are usually local/downtown in my area and we walk).
I’ve already started to do extensive research on the species as far as diet, toys, hormones etc (I’d be getting a male). The research portion of animal husbandry is one of my favorites!
i would love to get some guidance, beginner advice, or hear from ekkie owners as to if this is a sort of situation that would work for an eclectus parrot. If not now, I would love to hear what you consider an ideal situation for keeping them, or what has worked well for you. Especially anyone in a similar situation as mine, if you’re willing to drop some comments!! Thanks so much.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
You seem responsible and capable of caring for an ekkie. I am very glad you have been doing research. But even if you swear you are ready, you might want to wait a bit longer because you only recently got your PGCC. Of course this depends on your situation, so I trust you to make the right decision.

Budget? Space in your home? I'm sure you are well aware that large birds like ekkies cost a lot and take a lot of space, but just making sure :)

Working a full-time job is the biggest thing that might prove that you are not capable of caring for another bird. If your PGCC has been doing amazing, then go ahead. Keep doing research. DO NOT stop doing research, even after you get your bird (if you do). I have no experience with eclectus, but plenty of ekkie owners here on the forum, and they are bound to have advice for you.

Good luck.

OP
Milkteeth

Milkteeth

Nov 17, 2021
New England
Parrots
Pineapple greencheek
You seem responsible and capable of caring for an ekkie. I am very glad you have been doing research. But even if you swear you are ready, you might want to wait a bit longer because you only recently got your PGCC. Of course this depends on your situation, so I trust you to make the right decision.

Budget? Space in your home? I'm sure you are well aware that large birds like ekkies cost a lot and take a lot of space, but just making sure :)

Working a full-time job is the biggest thing that might prove that you are not capable of caring for another bird. If your PGCC has been doing amazing, then go ahead. Keep doing research. DO NOT stop doing research, even after you get your bird (if you do). I have no experience with eclectus, but plenty of ekkie owners here on the forum, and they are bound to have advice for you.

Good luck.
Thank you!! I’ll absolutely be waiting a considerable amount of time- I’m just toying with the idea now that I know birds are an option that I never had before! A whole world of opportunity haha.
I put aside a significant chunk of each of my paychecks for animal maintenance- I keep frogs, geckos, rabbits, cats, rats, and several types of inverts, and obviously my PGCC, so lots of regular purchases and maintenance! I eat a vegetarian/vegan leaning diet so I have a constant supply of fresh fruit and veggies, which makes feeding very easy for me!
As mentioned, Ezra is in a spare bedroom, we’re in a 3 bedroom apartment (I’m situated at the far end of the hallway and she’s in the furthest room from our neighbor). She’s allowed free roam of the room when I’m home. I plan on moving in the nearish future and will obviously take this into account if/when I intend on getting an ekkie.
Ezra is absolutely fantastic about my work schedule. I was most nervous about that when I got her, but we wake up at the same time, spend an hour or two with each other eating breakfast, I put on nature documentaries or music for her before I leave and leave her plenty of fun toys. She knows when I get home, and she knows how to tell me when she’s ready to sleep. I think I really lucked out with her- she’s a delight! She’s polite and quiet, eats well, etc. I enjoy having a cuddly, needy bird but I find myself gravitating towards animals that aren’t Velcro-companions, and enjoy spending time in the same space as me, but not always right near me at any given moment.
I’ll definitely be continuing my research and considering if ekkies are a good fit for me. They’re a delightful species and I would love to have one <3

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Hello!
So glad you have joined the forum and shared your thoughts about your potential ekkie and giving insight on your personal background as a bird owner! I find that step to be very crucial when considering adding another member to the flock even if you already own birds to begin with.
I am also well aware that you've begun doing your research on proper ekkie care as they can be very different from other parrot species in terms of diet and care. Especially diet. So while I am not an ekkie owner myself or plan to own one in the nearby future, I certainly do know that eclectus parrots have very elongated and unique digestive tracts, which means their diet is very different from other parrots.
So my best advice to you? Focus your research around the topic of ekkie digestion, their dietary needs, and what constitutes as a good meal plan for them given their special digestive anatomy. There is an informative post someone wrote that may help you grasp some understanding of ekkie diets and why they are the way they are. I will link it down below for you.
Ekkies being medium to large sized birds, they can be quite expensive with their needs (as with any parrot basically.) So just be aware (which of course you know) that your ekkie may have some expenses that are not what you may be used to with your conure, being that conures are smaller species. Just a little note to put in there.
Finally, I would suggest to also research (or gain knowledge from other experienced bird owners as well) ways to make sure your birds (since you'll be having your conure and ekkie in one house) can tolerate each other's presence. Not an ekkie owner but I am a bird owner, owning a cockatoo and conure myself. And this is something I should have thought about or researched more in depth when acquiring my cockatoo, but my birds certainly do not get along when in the same area.
Birds have tendencies to get hormonal, territorial, and aggressive when knowing that members that are not accepted as flock are in their way. Therefore, learn from my mistake and just be aware that your birds may not tolerate each other, but you want that to be the goal to prevent injury or mayhem between 2 birds of different sizes. Since one can hurt the other pretty badly.
Other than that, you seem to have a decently structured lifestyle with your current bird and are well aware of their care and hectic ownership. You know what you're doing and that's all that matters!

Here is the link to eclectus diets as promised:

Also, some pictures of your conure would be great! Enjoy your evening!

OP
Milkteeth

Milkteeth

Nov 17, 2021
New England
Parrots
Pineapple greencheek
Hello!
So glad you have joined the forum and shared your thoughts about your potential ekkie and giving insight on your personal background as a bird owner! I find that step to be very crucial when considering adding another member to the flock even if you already own birds to begin with.
I am also well aware that you've begun doing your research on proper ekkie care as they can be very different from other parrot species in terms of diet and care. Especially diet. So while I am not an ekkie owner myself or plan to own one in the nearby future, I certainly do know that eclectus parrots have very elongated and unique digestive tracts, which means their diet is very different from other parrots.
So my best advice to you? Focus your research around the topic of ekkie digestion, their dietary needs, and what constitutes as a good meal plan for them given their special digestive anatomy. There is an informative post someone wrote that may help you grasp some understanding of ekkie diets and why they are the way they are. I will link it down below for you.
Ekkies being medium to large sized birds, they can be quite expensive with their needs (as with any parrot basically.) So just be aware (which of course you know) that your ekkie may have some expenses that are not what you may be used to with your conure, being that conures are smaller species. Just a little note to put in there.
Finally, I would suggest to also research (or gain knowledge from other experienced bird owners as well) ways to make sure your birds (since you'll be having your conure and ekkie in one house) can tolerate each other's presence. Not an ekkie owner but I am a bird owner, owning a cockatoo and conure myself. And this is something I should have thought about or researched more in depth when acquiring my cockatoo, but my birds certainly do not get along when in the same area.
Birds have tendencies to get hormonal, territorial, and aggressive when knowing that members that are not accepted as flock are in their way. Therefore, learn from my mistake and just be aware that your birds may not tolerate each other, but you want that to be the goal to prevent injury or mayhem between 2 birds of different sizes. Since one can hurt the other pretty badly.
Other than that, you seem to have a decently structured lifestyle with your current bird and are well aware of their care and hectic ownership. You know what you're doing and that's all that matters!

Here is the link to eclectus diets as promised:

Also, some pictures of your conure would be great! Enjoy your evening!
Thank you so much for your input!! I will definitely be keeping this all in mind- thank you so much for the link as well!! I’ve been trying to read as much about their diet as I can find, since I know it’s a lot more intensive than with little birds!
Keeping two birds was definitely a concern of mine- Im fortunate enough to have the space to house them in separate rooms if need be, so if that was the case it should be doable! I’ll definitely be reading more about birds that don’t get along, so I can prepare myself just in case.
here are some pics of my darling little lady!! Her new cage is arriving this week, im super excited! She came to our family Christmas celebration last night and had such a good time, climbed all over everyone and was saying hello- it was her first time traveling, and she did fantastic (and she got a Christmas gift from my family member!)

Attachments

• 9E71E4E8-E0AB-446A-84F1-FA17DED09AEF.jpeg
    9E71E4E8-E0AB-446A-84F1-FA17DED09AEF.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 17A43B16-0C92-4351-9E9C-73A0765616D9.jpeg
    17A43B16-0C92-4351-9E9C-73A0765616D9.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 87
  • F018B258-7027-4768-9388-F08413478077.jpeg
    F018B258-7027-4768-9388-F08413478077.jpeg
    374.5 KB · Views: 87

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi there and welcome!!!

I adoped an ekkie about 7 months ago. I wasn't prepared for my ekkie at all. He was very different then my conure. I will always suggest getting in touch with an avian vet beforehand, and you also joined this parrot forum which is great. There are a lot of great resources on here, and people who are very educated on ekkies. My ekkie is between 15-18 years of age. He has a lot of hormonal behaviors. He masterbates, regurgitates, and does a lot of things that are not exactly delightful when company is over. Its in his nature, and unfortunately there is nothing that is going to completely get rid of these behaviors. I do my best to distract. Nico has chosen me as the favorite. He is an angel to me. He however is very mean to my husband, and others. He will crouch down, flap his wings, and scream at my husband. If that doesn't get my husband away Nico will bite him. This tends to be something very common in ekkies from what I gather. It can also happen with other species of parrots as well. I am still learning about the ekkie diet. Both vets, and experienced people on here have stated that ekkies can be very sensitive when it comes to their diet. They can get ill very quickly as well if given the wrong diet. When I first got my ekkie he was toe tapping, wing flipping, his feathers were very dull, and the list can go on. He has improved. He also feather plucks which is more common in the ekkies as well from what I've gathered from Nico's vet. Just do your best to research, and ask questions. I myself did things backwards, and overwhelmed myself.

Most Reactions