Considering Conures: 1 or 2?

Rhizy

Oct 15, 2014
My family and I (Dad, Mum and twin 8 year daughters) have been considering bringing a parrot or 2 into our family and menagerie of pets. I'm the Dad :). We currently have 3 cats - an elderly Russian blue female (now 16) and 2 young males (a siamese and a tonkinese) and an elderly miniature poodle. One of my daughters in particular loves birds. We've been doing our homework and research on Parrots for about a year now as we understand that taking on a parrot is quite a commitment and has its challenges as well as rewards.

We live in a typical suburban block here in Australia (property is 700 or so square metres). We originally had decided on an Amazon but after concerns about noise level in particular and looking into local council regulations on pet ownership decided this was likely not a good idea. Apparently Amazons in our local council's animal ownership regulations are grouped in same category as Cockatoos and Macaws - not permitted unless your property size is over 1000 square metres.

So after further research we've shortlisted Green Cheek Conure or Quaker. We did have on our list Caiques for awhile, but got worried after reading how aggressive they can become during the hormonal period. Anyway, the Green Cheek Conure is now close to top of our list based on a number of factors including relative noise level. The conure(s) will be companion pets living inside our home with us, although will also have regular time outside in the Queensland sunshine as well :). They would not be left alone just in the cage all that often as my partner works generally until 1pm most days and the kids are home from school most days just after 3pm. I also work from home a good day or so per week. So the conure(s) will enjoy a decent amount of quality interaction with members of the family.

We are contacting local breeders who will have conure(s) available over the coming few months and will be visiting them over next few weeks before we make a final decision on proceeding.

Question I have, in the best interests of the parrot, should we be considering just the 1 or is it better to get 2 together (for companionship etc)? What are the views on this? We are very excited about introducing a parrot to our family but want to be sure that we do this in a way that is likely to have the most rewarding outcome for the parrot(s) and ourselves. With this in mind we've also done research on animal / bird training as well. However, if we got 2 is this potentially just doubling the noise issues that we may have to manage with the interests of our neighbours in mind?

Any advice that can be offered on this much appreciated.

Last edited:
I’m currently having a Sun Conure hand raised for me in Jimboomba. I highly suggest ringing this breeder (and checking her out for your bird) for some information. She is a wealth of knowledge and absolutely loves her birds. In fact, I’m going there today after work to visit my baby. She encourages new owners to visit their birds as their being raised so you and it can become familiar. And her facilities are fantastic. She’s in Jimboomba (20 minutes from Beaudesert). At least ring her for some info, she’ll definitely be able to answer all of your questions!!

Her name is Lin and her number is 04 0749 1980

Good Luck!

I would start with just one to see how you like living with a bird. If you do get two keep them caged separately with different bonding times with the family. I bought my two gcc around the same time but caged them separately in a stacker cage. They had different bonding times with me so they bonded with people before each other. After awhile they came out together at times and then after 4 years I caged them together since they were getting attached to each other. Since I forged individual bonds before they bonded with each other they still hang out with me and don't shut me out of their little paired up world.

Thanks for this Laura, will definitely give Lin a call. We are on far northside Brisbane though so Jimboomba would be a fair drive.

I have to agree with Riddick on one conure or other bird at a time.....like's been mentioned, you want your first bird to acclimate to, accept its new flock and bond with them before another bird is brought into the equation.....the bird is going to eventually make its choice of preferred human, even when all seems to be equal (individual attention, that is), but often, likes can be swayed by hand feeding treats and/or favorite foods.....doing your research, you've probably read that parrots generally prefer same, normal situations & while 8yo girls may be in a growing transition stage, friends & especially sleepovers often bring the opportunity for squealing, flighty girls popping in & out of rooms unannounced.....while that's all OK, you might want to wait until your new friend(s) is/are settled in & familiar with their new flock members & environment.....that kind of activity can keep new birds on edge/stressed until they feel comfortable in their new surroundings.....

Welcome to the forums...hope you enjoy your stay & get all your questions answered.....Good luck with your new pet venture.....

Dear Rhizy, I agree with everything that's been said. GCC are a good first bird. They are not to noisy as a rule but could get stressed by sleep overs.My Paddy gets stressed by violent loud tv. I believe they are easier to train then most larger birds. I would eliminate sleep overs for 2 months till the bird gets settled Let the girls spend their time bonding with the bird.And please 1 at a time. Hope this helps! Any help I can be feel free to contact me. [email protected] Best of Luck! Bonita

You can do your best to stop individual bonding by having everyone spend some time with the bird and then they drop it on someone else. Have someone different take them out each time they come out. Sometimes the person who takes the bird out should just drop it on someone else as they pass by a person instead of spending any time with the bird (at least right away). Basically your passing the bird around as often as possible. And the person that has the bird should make sure they are the ones passing it to someone else at times. Sometimes you want others to ask for a step up from while you are holding the bird but you want the bird to understand that no one person is going to give all the attention and that your family is flock. Sometimes certain members of the flock get tired of hanging out with you so you they give you to another member. I did this with my sun Loki, got him as a baby, and I can pass him to random strangers without a problem even now while he is going through sexual maturity.

I love green cheeks and think they are an excellent choice for anyone who loves birds. I am a strong believer in multi bird households. Some people choose to own only one and that is fine, but in the wild a flock animal is never alone, are there times when your whole family is out of the house? Also, if you read through archives you will find a lot of people struggling with introducing a second bird into the family, it can cause all sorts of issues! Once one bird has established him or herself and feels that the family is theirs, adding a second bird can be tough. However, bringing home two birds, especially young ones, at the same time often avoids this. I have a lot of experience having bonded pairs as pets, and I do not have a Problem with it. As long as steps are taken to keep hormones down (another topic for another time) pair bonded birds can be fantastic pets who are much better adjusted in many cases, because they have the stability of a mate. That said, I highly suggest getting two birds around the same age, at the same time, and of the same gender. I specify of the same gender because as a new bird owner you should absolutely not take on breeding, and getting two birds of the same gender eliminates this danger.

I also disagree that they should be taken out always separately. You need your birds to see each other as flock members not as competition. Taking out one bird at a time every time can cause jealousy issues and that is not good. Some individual time is good so they do not learn that they will come out every time the other does, but mostly having the whole flock, human and bird, interact as a group as often as possible is the best way to keep everyone happy and have healthy social interactions. Please feel free to pm me is you have any questions about why I have said what I have said, I am sorry I don't have time at the moment to go into detail.

Thank you weco and bonita for the advice. And yes will definitely minimise household disruptions while the new Conure settles in. Our daughters get this and are quite protective of their pets with friends and visitors. So will be just the 1 at this stage then.

I did mention to take them out together after awhile... not 4 years that was just when I started caging them together. My two started coming out together after a month maybe less can't remember. I've never been good at individual times for long periods which is why my 9 tend to come out together along with my mothers 4 and the 4 fosters. The house is an aviary sometimes.

Do be careful getting two, its not that I disagree with getting two but if you've never owned birds you have no idea really what you are getting in to...reading only gets you so far. Even if you wait just a month or two before getting the second one! We see so many pairs come in to the shelter because their owners had no idea how to bond with them as a flock instead the two became pair bonded and wanted nothing to do with people. We have something like 6 conure pairs at the shelter that are like this eventually I get to work with them to make them more people friendly but it won't be fun thats for sure. Also, meet some adult green cheeks to get used to their noise level. Two is double the noise and if noise is an issue...

When I add new birds to my flock I just tell them to get over jealousy issues because I just don't want to hear it... they get over it. Even my bonded male amazon knows I don't tolerate issues with the other birds and theres no way to get booted out of the flock for a couple hours faster then to cause an issue. As mentioned the key is to create a flock dynamic!

If you love having one bird theres are large chance you will add quite a few more...warning:D

Silversage thanks for your perspective, a lot to think about here. This was precisely my thinking on getting 2. We would get both at the same time from the same breeder. Yes there will be times when the bird(s) will be home alone - when the kids are at school and both my wife and I are at work. It was for precisely this reason that I'm considering two birds rather than just the one. I also know some folk in Parrot Society of Australia are strongly encouraging multiple bird household rather than just the 1 parrot for precisely this reason. Seems to be different opinions on this.

Thanks Riddick for the advice and sharing your experience. So much to consider here. What do you think the longest recommended period would be between getting the first and introducing the second that may give us best chance of avoiding problems?

I have a cinnamon gcc and love him to bits. He has bonded most with me but is now bonding with everyone in the house. Our home is pretty busy so he gets lots of outside time although there is the odd occasion he only gets 3 hours out of the cage. Most of the time it's 6-8 hours out of the cage.

Now that we've had him a while we will probably get a second bird, probably another green cheek or a crimson bellied conure (both quieter species of conures) so we can have a flock feeling :). I think he will enjoy the company, we will take time to introduce them to one another. Of course we will cage separately as well to start with as Peep loves his cage and is king of his castle!

Gcc is a GREAT choice. Great birds!

GCC are lovely birds! And, if raised well and properly, when they hit sexual maturity they won't turn into "evil little monsters". My Avery just finished her hormones (she's over a year and a half) and I only knew she was going through them because she became broody and a tad bit nippy. If some stranger handled her, they'd have no idea she was hormonal. The only reason I bring this up is because people view GCC's as absolute cuddle monsters who love to be touched, handled, and etc. Not all love to be handled or cuddled, and they may become difficult to handle when they hit sexual maturity. And you also don't want birds of two different sexes hitting sexual maturity from the same clutch at the same time... it may literally breed a recipe for disaster.

As for more than one bird, I think seeing how difficult taking care of one bird is really important before deciding that you can handle more. I agree 100% that homes should be multiflocked, but not everyone has the ability to cover expenses (food, cage, vet bills, toys, etc.) for more than one. And while buying birds at the same time may help the likelihood of them getting along, it doesn't mean that buying birds at separate times will result in absolute hate or love for either situation. I have an Indian Ringneck who is JUST starting to get along with my green cheek. It takes work, but your birds will eventually figure out a flock dynamic that works for them. Personally I would like to get another female conure for Avery's sake (and my own) because I know how much she adores other birds. But I would NEVER buy another bird for Shiko to have a buddy simply because he doesn't play well with others. I do however think the presence and vocalization of another bird is important for a bird's mental health.

I look forward to hearing about your decision! Parrots make wonderful family members :)

i would go with 2 birds they need to comunicate in their own language if i had to be only with my pets & no other human how sad would that be it is not normal for a bird to be by himself

There's no guarantee for the time periods. I would say while they are both under a year would be easiest but there is never any guarantee everyone is going to love each other. I had my green cheeks for about 3 years or so when I added my sun conure. They hated him at first but they are much more tolerant now that my sun learned to stand up for himself. At first there may be some dislike or issues but they usually even out over time.

And angels123 that's how I try to spend 90 percent of my time...with my pets. I'm not a fan of most of my kind and avoid them as often as possible:p

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back