Conure always wants to be with me

Kaytana22

Apr 25, 2021
Media
Albums
Alabama Sir
Parrots
Cockatiel, Budgie, GCC
My conure is very attached to me too. But my only issue is bed time, he doesn't seem to want to go to bed even though he has a lot of sleeping options. He rather just sleep on me which of course is a no as I move around a lot in my sleep. But he will actually sleep on the floor of his cage just so he can see me. I put a towel down on the bottom so he can at least sleep on a soft surface. Should I be concerned about this? He doesn't freak out or anything just seems to want a visual of me at all times. I just worry that he is not getting enough sleep that he needs. I know he's not uncomfortable cause he's got his eyes closed and is grinding his beak. And he's very active in the day time and doesn't seem sleep deprived. Should I just let him sleep how he wants?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Conures really bond hard and like to look at you, and be looked at. They care not for privacy, they like being looked at. I put my bird to bed a 5pm or so an wakes up with me around 4-5 am with me. I'm sure it naps during day. Beak grinding means happy. I'm not worried by symptoms you list so far.

I would set normal bedtimes and wake up times. And stick with them.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I second what has already been said.

Its actually kind of funny to see this was the first post when I logged in. I haven't posted in a while.

I've rarely had issues with Skittles and bedtimes because he always lets me know when its his bedtime. He's practically 'clock' accurate. Sometimes, its creepy. If I wake him up a few minutes early, he goes to bed a few minutes early and vice versa. I do get a bit of warning though, he goes for food and water a little bit before bedtime. But he "waits" for me to put him to bed, like a little toddler who needs daddy to tuck him in.

But the important thing is consistency in all things. Not just bedtime, but in patterns of all things. Not just cause it causes less confusion, but also less problems and creates easier means of communication.

Skittles and I have a great form of communication. He's great with me on everything except my tablet. He's fine when I'm on the PC, he sits on my shoulder or hides in my shirt. When I'm doing dishes, he sits on the faucet and 'watches' me, when I watch tv in my chair, he watches tv with me. When I'm on my laptop in bed, he sits on my shoulder, unless I'm using my webcam (like for Telehealth) and then he does his "swooping" with his head in front of the camera which fortunately my medical providers think is hilarious. But when I'm in bed playing on my tablet, thats just one bridge too far. I give him tissues to tear up and toss them to the side. He goes and grabs them, drags them back over to my chest, parks them RIGHT in front of the tablet between me and the tablet and starts tearing them up. If I try to move him so I can see the screen, he gets mad. Mind you, I will set up a 'tearing station right to the side of me' and he'll ignore it. It would've been adorable except for the fact that he kept trying to bite me whenever I tried to move him. While it wasn't a 'hard bite', it was still not acceptable. So I've had to use redirection for that and he may soon find himself no longer allowed there if he keeps it up.

Okay, maybe I'll just stop playing on my tablet in bed. He'll never know why.

Last edited:

Littlechris123

Aug 18, 2021
Media
Worksop nottinghamshire
Parrots
Pineapple conure
Conures really bond hard and like to look at you, and be looked at. They care not for privacy, they like being looked at. I put my bird to bed a 5pm or so an wakes up with me around 4-5 am with me. I'm sure it naps during day. Beak grinding means happy. I'm not worried by symptoms you list so far.

I would set normal bedtimes and wake up times. And stick with them.
My conure attached to me to wants to be on my shoulder all day shes out after breakfast for cpl hours of play i give her lunch then she is back in closure till tea time she sits with me till bedtime then im training her to go in on her own with bribes and a clicker lots of praise then once shes in bed im free lol 😆

Most Reactions

Latest posts