Conure and Budgie

FreddyCheeks

May 8, 2013
Media
NJ
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure-Fred-Hatch date 3/5/13 --- Bourke parakeet- Pinky - home date 11/27/17---CAG-Chicken Lily-home date 12/1/17
I introduced Fred and Star a little bit ago for a short period and everything seemed fine. But yesterday Fred was being very ornery. He kept pushing up as close as he could to Star and would bite the band on his foot. Then he would step on him while preening. Then when Star flipped around, Fred grabbed his foot. No damage was done, but Star was not happy about it. Is there anything I can do to curb this as I would like to take them both out at the same time.

:blue2::rainbow1:

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Is the budgie flighted? How about Fred?

I can only speak from experience, but my sun conure never really became friends with the 2 budgies who used to be in my apartment (they moved out with Chris to his new place). At first he would even lunge at them. Good thing they were flighted at the time and he wasn't so there was no way he could get to them fast enough. That improved to where he would tolerate their presence but mostly ignored them.

In your situation, I would probably not leave them unsupervised because a conure could do bad damage to a budgie. If the budgie is flighted, he would be able to escape though. Or you can just give them time to get used to each other, maybe they will be fast friends, but until then, I'd keep a watchful eye.

OP
FreddyCheeks

FreddyCheeks

May 8, 2013
Media
NJ
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure-Fred-Hatch date 3/5/13 --- Bourke parakeet- Pinky - home date 11/27/17---CAG-Chicken Lily-home date 12/1/17
Is the budgie flighted? How about Fred?

I can only speak from experience, but my sun conure never really became friends with the 2 budgies who used to be in my apartment (they moved out with Chris to his new place). At first he would even lunge at them. Good thing they were flighted at the time and he wasn't so there was no way he could get to them fast enough. That improved to where he would tolerate their presence but mostly ignored them.

In your situation, I would probably not leave them unsupervised because a conure could do bad damage to a budgie. If the budgie is flighted, he would be able to escape though. Or you can just give them time to get used to each other, maybe they will be fast friends, but until then, I'd keep a watchful eye.

Unfortunatly the budgie is over cut(petco cut primary & secondary feathers) so at best he can jump down from the perch. I never leave them alone as the size difference makes me nervous. But I do like having them out and there perch is at the window so they both like to sit and look outside. Guess I'll have to hold Fred when Star is on the perch because Fred is not a fan of me holding Star and not him. :rolleyes: I have to have a tshirt on and hold star on my finger so Fred cant climb my arm and push Star around. Such a jealous butt. :20:

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Yes they are such jealous creatures.

Boomer would get mad at a toothbrush just because he thinks I'm giving it kisses and not him, lol.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Used to have a budgie that would make his way into my first conures cage - I suspect to get away from the girls! Once he had rested (or I startled him), he'd make his way back out! First time I saw it, I freaked out!

1b4372d2.jpg

Noel didn't get along with other birds at first, but as he got older, he got more compliant and "accepting" (or perhaps, uncaring of others)

40983596.jpg

And then there was a female budgie that ended up being my only budgie at the time (lost the male budgie above, gave the girls away, then had her and her mate, until her mate died possibly because he was misdiagnosed at the vets) and being an only budgie ended up having a fascination with Charlie. She could squeeze through his cage bars, play with his toys, eat his food, drink his water! Of course, Charlie was not happy about this "little blue pest", and would chase her around the cage! The cage was large enough that she could easily avoid him by flying to the next location but Charlie did not like the invader and would climb around the cage to chase her!

CharlieNormie01_zpsdb0796a4.jpg

CharlieNormie02_zps43260ec7.jpg

As amusing as it was to watch this play out, I rehomed her to a budgie only home where I wouldn't have to worry about Charlie hurting her!

Most Reactions