Conure issues

TukiTheConure

Apr 4, 2018
Hi there,
I recently got a GCC 2 days ago. The breeder told that I should interact with it straight away and so it does takes treats from my hand but it is biting my hand when there is no treat or asking it to step up. When I take it out it’s cage it is quite chaotic as he doesn’t step up and aims to bite me by flying around, he steps up on other items e.g a target stick but not my hand. Is there anyway I can make him accustomed to my hand and should I wear gloves just for training then take them off? Thanks so much!
Btw the bird is handreared.

Give birdie time. They are in a new scary place and they don't trust you yet.

that's weird that a breeder would tell you to interact with it right away. With really any animal you're suppose to just let it do it's thing and adjust to it's new surroundings.

The breeder was so wrong with the advice, or at least not explaining better.

First, please put the gloves away, they will not help you.... no one wants to get bit, but it comes with having a bird, so toss the gloves.

Next thing, leave your little guy in the cage and make sure he/she has lots of toys and things to do. If you have a spot for a third bowl, do what is called stationing training, talk to him and draw his attention to the bowl and drop a favorite treat in the bowl.

Sit next to the cage and read a book out loud, or just talk to your little guy. Let him go about playing or doing whatever in his cage, but all parrots have a natural curiosity and he will become interested in this person who is offering treats and just chatting, reading or even play music and sing along (not hand banging metal :)...

If your bird is stick trained, meaning he will step up on a stick or perch and come out of the cage, use that method to transfer him to a bird stand. And again, when you walk past, talk to him and offer a treat from the hand. If he backs away, drop it in the food bowl and just talk to him more.

Other things that might be startling him, besides going to a strange place and having a stranger try to hands on interact (kinda put yourself in his place, you've been kidnapped and dropped off in a foreign land with a person who expects you to be their best friend and interact like you've been friends for life)... So what is different in your home? Do you have a cat or dog? Other birds? Are there young children with high energy? Music on loud? TV playing late into the evening when the bird should be sleeping...

If you can just share the general daily ins and outs of your home... Often there is something that triggers a bit of fear or hesitation in a new bird.

and remember, toss the gloves!

that's weird that a breeder would tell you to interact with it right away. With really any animal you're suppose to just let it do it's thing and adjust to it's new surroundings.

I had the same thought, I am hoping the breeder just did not explain themselves well and meant to interact by talking, giving treats, sitting next to the cage and such... hoping...

Great advice above. If it's chaotic at any point that equates to terrifying for your little bird. Your aim is calm calm calm! You need to wait until he comes to you, so make yourself as attractive and peaceful and no threat even in a birds eyes until that lovely day when they see you as a friend. That's something that is earned by patience and be prepared for the long haul. If it takes weeks that won't be too long.

I......this is devil advocate me, I had a hand reared bird that was then in a pet shop for a bit and I did the quick bond technique of interaction and it worked out ok. But I knew the bird was ok with humans just not me...I was new.

Trust is everything....if the bird isn't going for it then slow down....!!!!!!!!!!

Also Don't use gloves! You can't judge the fear between a "uhm I dunno about you nip" and "OMG GET AWAY". besides you will have to know what is ok for bite pressure training.

The only time i've used gloves was I couldn't get a nail appointment once and clark was catching his nails on shirts and stuff and had to do it solo.

About a week ago I posted pretty much the same problem as far as the biting.
"Bird Freaking Out".

My Conure is about 10 weeks old and although very tame, he would do this "freaking out" thing BUT only at around 6:00p.m. All other times he was fine.
He would race around, wings flapping and bite ONLY my fingers; nothing else. He would then roll over in my palm and lay on his back.

When I called the place I got him at, they offered a suggestion that this might be a "nursing" problem. Since he is still a baby, your finger represents the syringe/formula used to feed him. And that he is possibly reverting back a little. They even went as far to say that the syringe/formula was the same color as my fingers (Caucasian).

Not sure how true this is but seems to make sense.

sounds more like bed time angst...clark always lets me know when it's "seepy time" only he does it vocally... You might be right though.

If a bird gets comfortable stepping up on a glove, then you remove the glove, your bird may go back to biting your hands. Not recommended.

A target stick is not meant to be stepped up on... it is meant to teach them to target their body or a part of their body somewhere... unless you are using a target stick as a perch?

Parrots are not like dogs.... they don't instantly love strangers. Stranger equals danger. You are a stranger and your bird has no reason to trust you.

My recommendation? Stop handling your bird! Give him/her some time to settle in! If he's afraid, then give him some way to "hide" in his cage. Any time you walk by, drop a treat into a designated treat cup. Work on target training through the cage bars. Get to know him from a distance.

And most importantly, avoid getting bitten!!!

http://www.parrotforums.com/training/57935-brainstorming-biting-parrots.html

I both agree and disagree with MonicaMc the long and the short of it is, feel the bird out. If it was hand reared it should come around quick, if it wasn't then DEFINITELY do the slow method.

It all depends on when the bird is ready.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back