Conure Syringes

Jolene7136

May 21, 2018
Been playing around with a few different syringes while hand feeding my green cheek conure babies.

Started with a very tiny 1cc syringe, but they are one use and if you try and use them more than once the rubber stopper comes off.

Switched to a reusable 6cc syringe with a smaller tip and seems to be working alright, but I really do not like the rubber syringes very much.

I have been looking around for new syringes, but seems many of them are a lot bigger tips than I need or too small in the reservoir.

Do you guys have a place that you go to get your syringes or have a preferred brand/type.

Any suggestions appreciated.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Have you tried "o-ring" type syringes? I believe that's the term? Heard these were 'good' syringes.

I don't hand feed or raise parrots though.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Yes, donā€™t get ANYTHING that isnā€™t o-ring. The o-ring glides the smoothest which is vital for being sure you donā€™t aspirate the babies.

I like the o-ring lure-lock, 10 CC. 10-12 CC is the only size I use for birds that size, anything else just wastes my time.

The lure-lock means you screw on a small tip. You can get the tips (I donā€™t remember where I got the syringes this year, I get them from a few places) from L&M Birds Leg Bands for a few cents each. I start the season with around 200. It also makes sanitation a lot easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
No problem. I wish someone had told me before I wasted time and money on other stuff lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I too agree, nothing but the syringes with the O-Rings, as otherwise you risk the plunger sticking and then you suddenly pushing-in a bunch of formula, risking aspiration. The O-Ring syringes don't get "stuck"...

Usually you have to order them, I haven't ever been able to find them anywhere locally, as places like Tractor Supply have both leur-lock and leur-slip syringes of many different volumes, but none with O-Rings...Before finding the O-Ring syringes years ago, I always used the cheaper ones from Tractor Supply/Quality Farm and Fleet, and would either buy the leur-lock ones if they also had available tips, and if not, then I'd just buy the leur-slip ones and use the tip on them...But as SilverSage said, these get stuck so easily that they are pretty-much disposable and are only one-time use syringes...

Some regular, oral syringes meant for humans work well, but it's hit-and-miss on them, and it just depends on what is available to you locally...You're much better-off ordering the good ones with the O-Rings online, along with the tips in the right size for your babies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts