Conure Time-Outs?

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure: Sir H. H. Gregg Q. T. Birb, III
I put Sir Birb in time out by putting all of his night time blankets around his cage after he bit me and drew blood to try and force him to take a nap because he's not sleeping well.

I know everyone says "be patient" but I'm wondering what y'all are doing in real time when things like this happens.

Positive association training doesn't appear to be working.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Time outs don't work like this. It's only going to mess up his sleep pattern. It's either going to cause him to misbehave more because he WANTS to go back in or the opposite, he hates his cage.

For an effective time out, you need to be doing the shunning method. This is don't by immediately placing Sir Bird on the back of a chair, the floor, some where he doesn't usually go and you need to turn your back on him and completely ignore him for a couple of minutes, anything longer is ineffective because they don't understand punishment

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Positive /consent based training does work, it just takes time and patience and a lot of trust, which sir bird doesn't have with you yet. Take it nice and slow with him and you will be well rewarded with his love and affection

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
I agree with above. He doesn't have 'guilt' as we understand it. Let's start with getting bitten. Can you remember what sparked it? Did you notice anything about his behaviour beforehand? So the secret is not to get bitten. Are you sure he is not hormonal? Is there anything or anyone making him jealous? Ok I went through a stage of this with Syd. He would lunge suddenly as I thought without warning and I was at my wits end for a while. I ended up covering up completely. Long sleeves, hat, gloves, scarf glasses there was nothing left to bite. Then the advice above is spot on. I added a screech as if he was killing me too. In the flock other birds would have no problem with making him an outcast if he attacked or hurt. So you have to put him away from you and really ignore him. Don't even look in his direction.

Then wait! Don't go to him but let him find a way back to you. Chances are he'll be a bit sheepish. Don't allow him on your shoulder he has to learn that that is a privileged not allowed to naughty birds. If he beaks you and it's uncomfortable screech again and repeat. He has to learn what is acceptable in your relationship. It will take lots of repeats and maybe some time. Don't lose heart it all takes patience but stick with it and it will eventually come right. At 4 yrs old Syd knows that if I say OW! he has hurt me and bless him he says I'm sorry. I'm sure he doesn't know what it means he just knows it gets the right reaction from me. Virtual hugs - it's a rotten thing when it happens!

Most Reactions

Latest posts