Conure will not put weight on left leg

Chicobubba

Jul 22, 2021
Hawaii
Parrots
2 Green Cheek Conures and 1 Pineapple Conure
Hello all,
I am new to the site. I have 3 conures and 2 parakeets. Two regular Green Cheek conures, Nibbler and Popito. One Pineapple conure named Pineapple Princess (PP). We live in Hawaii on the island of Oahu. Mekana and Butterscotch are the parakeets. I also rehab wild birds. Our house is always busy.
I am having an issue with PP. She cannot seem to put any weight on her left foot. This has been going on for 3 weeks. I have taken her to two different veterinary hospitals. There is no swelling nor anything in the X-rays that could be the cause. They are at a lost. They gave me anti-inflammatories. They are having a difficult time drawing her blood. So a complete panel has not been done. Has anyone ever experienced an issue like this? Please feel free to pass on any suggestions.

26332d1627004708-conure-will-not-put-weight-left-leg-jpeg-image-2.jpeg

Attachments

• JPEG image 2.jpeg
    JPEG image 2.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
C

Chicobubba

Jul 22, 2021
Hawaii
Parrots
I have not seen her use it to pick something up but she does use it to climb. It only seems to bug her when she goes to puts weight on it. Through the months of March and April of this year she had a Bacterial infection and a Yeast Infection and had to do the meds for 6 weeks. I had her tested for PPD because our neighbors Love Birds were diagnosed. The vet assured me this was not an issue. On July 4th when I was feeding the birds I noticed she was unsteady. I immediately took her to the vet. They gave her fluids and said she had a bacterial infection. She stayed there 3 days..they had me pick her up and bring her home. At which time I noticed she could not put her left foot down. I had another Vet check her out and take x-rays. Not sure where to go from here.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Are the vets "avian certified" meaning additional education and specialized equipment to best diagnose and treat birds? Many practices accept "exotic" patients including birds, rodents, lizards, etc. Some do a fine job but often lack advanced qualifications and my place your bird through various exploratory therapies before hopefully stumbling on correct treatments.

OP
C

Chicobubba

Jul 22, 2021
Hawaii
Parrots
Hello..sorry it took me so long to write back. After sending an email out to all the bird rehabbers in Hawaii I was sent to Dr. Ako known as the bird doctor here in Hawaii. He noticed something right off the bat. PP.s poop gram stain was clear. The swab from her mouth was full of bacteria. He said very bad bacteria. He gave her the usual antibiotics. This was on a Sat. On Sunday evening I noticed the same kind of unsteady hard to breathe behavior that she exhibited on 4th of July weekend. I took her to the vet and she was hospitalized given antibiotics injection Then fluids. She was released the next day seeming ok. Took her back to Dr. Ako on Sat. Gram stained her again an we kept her on the meds. On the third visit her infection had not cleared up so a culture test was done. It turned out she was Infected with Pseudomonas bacteria and it was not being treated. The vet said this type of bacteria left untreated would have killed her. This type of bacteria get Into a wound. There was a very small scratch on PPs left foot (the foot she can put any weight on). Dr Ako gave me a new antibiotic that should kill all three types of bacteria PP has. Just thought I would keep you in the loop and let the group know what the potential resolution is.
thank you for replying and your support.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
It sounds like your vet has PP on the road to recovery. I'm so glad that they were able to figure it out! Sending healing wishes your way that the new antibiotics take care of the infection.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Kudos for your diligence and sharing the need for assertive rechecks and advanced lab tests! Thankfully PP on the mend, keep us updated!!

Most Reactions