corn, the bane of my existance

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Lincoln is an eclectus, eclectus usually have issues with corn. Almost every single bird product has corn in the top 3 ingredients. And if by some miracle there ISNT corn there's a billion added vitamins. I feel like I'm stuck giving him the same handful of products with no variation. No options. Just corn.

He hasn't been eating his chop well lately and acts like he's starving and he's getting bored of his pellets but is still eating them but it isn't satisfying him. I've tried modifying his chop to more his taste but he's still not super keen on it.

Ugh.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I feed bird bistro even though some of the varieties have some corn. I also add fresh greens, sprouts( I sprout my own human grade of clover, alfalfa, radish and broccoli) , carrots, and squash before I feed it to them. I change out the fresh vegetables every week. I also feed many items from here https://phoenixforagingrolls.com/ and plan on trying another brand that Chris MD had mentioned but I can't for the life of me remember the name. I make tops birdy bread loaded with veggies and a little fruit such as figs. My girl loves it. I make birdie bread up and then freeze it in small batches. I use it like pellets.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I feed bird bistro even though some of the varieties have some corn. I also add fresh greens, sprouts( I sprout my own human grade of clover, alfalfa, radish and broccoli) , carrots, and squash before I feed it to them. I change out the fresh vegetables every week. I also feed many items from here https://phoenixforagingrolls.com/ and plan on trying another brand that Chris MD had mentioned but I can't for the life of me remember the name. I make tops birdy bread loaded with veggies and a little fruit such as figs. My girl loves it. I make birdie bread up and then freeze it in small batches. I use it like pellets.
the tops bird bread p much is tops pellets. So aside from the added fruit or veggies it doesn't have much appeal to him.

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Blue American Budgie - Female (Bluberry)
Blue Australian Budgie - Male (Mr. Squiggles)
Blue English Budgie - Male (Hendrix)
isn't that illegal? and i compared the ingredients and OMG i think you are right.. are they a scam?

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
isn't that illegal? and i compared the ingredients and OMG i think you are right.. are they a scam?
I'm sure they have some sort of agreement with Tops, so it wouldn't be a scam per say. But it is why you end up having to pay more.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Lincoln is an eclectus, eclectus usually have issues with corn. Almost every single bird product has corn in the top 3 ingredients. And if by some miracle there ISNT corn there's a billion added vitamins. I feel like I'm stuck giving him the same handful of products with no variation. No options. Just corn.

He hasn't been eating his chop well lately and acts like he's starving and he's getting bored of his pellets but is still eating them but it isn't satisfying him. I've tried modifying his chop to more his taste but he's still not super keen on it.

Ugh.
I feel your pain! I have celiac disease and so my birds can't have anything with wheat or barley in it or the mess gets everywhere and since I get sick from it, I'd rather not take the risk. I come out in a rash if I touch wheat (I work in a supermarket and can't handle flour because of this) as well so I can't even just make sure I don't eat near them. Nearly every single food for parrots has wheat, and if it doesn't have wheat then it definitely has barley.

My birds have definitely been getting bored of their diet, especially my conures but by a miracle I found a pellet they can actually eat and it's helped so much. Now they have a pellet and Harrison's mash which I mix with their chop and it's done them the world of good. They love the mash as well but it just wasn't enough for them I don't think.

I really hope you can find some food for your electus, I searched for three years before finding this pellet for mine.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots

Ugh.
I don't know how you feel about Alternative Formula by Hari but it doesn't have corn or soy. It does have vitamins added and maple syrup is a form of sugar. Sadly there are a lot of options if you don't want corn or soy.

What makes the Alternative formulation different than Tropican Lifetime and Tropican High Performance formulas?​

• Alternate protein sources: pea and quinoa
  • Formulated with no soy or corn
  • Higher amount of bentonite clay
  • New ingredients such as walnuts, maple syrup, cranberries, sunflower oil, sweet potato, wheat germ oil, pumpkin seeds, marigold extract
  • Higher levels of omega 3, 6 and Beta-carotene
  • Darker brown pellets

Most Reactions