The Eclectus Diet: The Do's, the Don'ts, and Everything You Need to Know But Were Too Afraid to Ask

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus (Male)
Still working. The boy cleans his bowl of veggies if I mix in a little Tops+fruit. There's so much less wasted chop.
Hello
I noticed some day Moses eats alot of the Tops and some days hardly any.
Any ideas or do you think it depends on his mood:)
my wife tried mixing the tops with fruits and then the veggies and it worked well:)
thank you and God bless
Larry azflcowboy :)

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
Hi all,
I thought I would post this here as I hope that myself and others may learn from It or want to give suggestions.
I try hard to give a diverse range of fresh veg which I chop and freeze plus a little fruit everyday. He gets about half a teaspoon of mixed seed most days and occasionally a third of a spray millet, Maybe a couple of pumpkin seeds a day.
sometimes my boy toe taps when nodding off. I’ve cut out his topper for the last few weeks and it has got a little better, but sometimes he still does it.
Tuesday: Yesterday was awful he was fast asleep, open eyed but blind to the world of shadows.. and yet kept to his regular 1 minute tap for about 2 or 3 hours. The only difference yesterday was he had a piece of melon with the seeds for the fruit in his dinner. I wash all his food in an apple cider solution and rinse twice. I peel it after.
So on to Wednesday: today.. he’s had his normal frozen chop breakfast. Then a third of a Millet spray, cucumber and celery in a foraging ball, half a lychee, a drop of organic coconut oil and a slice of peach. I don’t think he has touched the peach though, and no other seed. Anyway, there’s been no toe tapping at all tonight.
I now suspect he might be sensitive to melon seeds. I say this because in the tub of roasted pumpkin seeds, I also roast my melon seeds and add these too. I’m wondering if the odd days that he taps 4 or 5 times at night, is when he’s had melon seed instead of pumpkin seed In his dinner.
So tomorrow, I have a morning of emptying the tub, sorting out the melon from the pumpkin seeds and throwing out the melon ones and I’m also going to source a supply of straight plain millet rather than the mixed seed the breeder suggested. Over the last year of having him I have found out, he can’t eat too many chickpeas or sweet corn over a short period., as it sends him into crazy overdrive, like a child on colourings and sugar.
He avoids carrots, bell peppers, cinnamon and dried fruit., And that Asparagus also makes him toe tap.
He will do anything for an almond.
I hope to get to the bottom of it.

Last edited:

cytherian

Dec 29, 2020
Near NYC
Parrots
Eclectus
Process of elimination. With a complex chop, it can be tedious to narrow it down. In our case, we gave a little bowl full of edamame which the birds enjoyed... then a few hours later, the adult male started toe tapping. He couldn't stop. Went on for hours, then about 1am he stopped. Next day, early morning, he started tapping again and his mate, she started tapping too. But then a few hours later, stopped... and that was it. They've had edamame before, but always mixed with other veggies. Soy has a lot of protein and that may have been too much for them, just all edamame.

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
Process of elimination. With a complex chop, it can be tedious to narrow it down. In our case, we gave a little bowl full of edamame which the birds enjoyed... then a few hours later, the adult male started toe tapping. He couldn't stop. Went on for hours, then about 1am he stopped. Next day, early morning, he started tapping again and his mate, she started tapping too. But then a few hours later, stopped... and that was it. They've had edamame before, but always mixed with other veggies. Soy has a lot of protein and that may have been too much for them, just all edamame.
That’s quite interesting Cytherian.
In humans, Soy actually causes internal inflammation plus an increase in oestrogen production. So boys and people with any kind of auto immune disease such as lupus, ME or RA; should not eat soy. My friend who is a nurse told me, and she won’t give soy products to her son, even though he is dairy intolerant. It is the reason I have not given any soy products to Solo.

so just after I posted yesterday,, he tapped very Lightly for about half an hour.
Thursday: today. He’s only had his chop am & pm, an almond wiped over with red palm oil. About 6 niblets of corn in his piñata, A grape, a blackberry (left) & slice of plum (left)fruit with dinner. no seeds of any kind at all. I’ve just heard 4 clicks on his perch now, but quite far apart, as he falls asleep. That’s it 6 light clicks in half an hour and now it’s stopped.
I know he’s feeling better today because he’s tucked his head in behind his wing to sleep tonight.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts