Cotton baby blankets for birds?

allyvallee

Oct 24, 2017
Rialto, California
Parrots
2 male cockatiels
2 female and male parakeets
I was looking into the bird binkies for my birds because my birds get cold and like to cuddle with each other after a bath. However I thought it would be cheaper to buy the fleece myself but after some research I got a little worried about whether the fleece fabric was safe for them or not. I learned that cotton fleece is safer than polyester but my local fabric stores don’t carry cotton.

So I was wondering if I bought those baby blankets they sell in packs at the stores were safe for them? I was thinking about cutting them into pieces and tying them on a rope just like the ones I saw online. I wouldn’t be putting the whole blanket inside.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I have never done this, so others can give better advice!

One consideration is eating of the fine strands. Many birds will ingest the fibers and eventually develop serious and often fatal complications. That is why "Happy Huts" with soft thready construction are reviled by most members. Still, I am not certain what you consider is dangerous!

Last edited:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
nope! Remember cotton has strands, so chewing birds can get it stuck in their crop and they can get tangled in the strands resulting in injury, loss of limb or death.

Best bet would be to turn the heat up in the house a little. Also after a bath a bird will "shiver" as a way to dry themselves, being you have 2 of them cuddling up is what they would do in the wild, I assume they get to preening each other after, just after bath time is a good cuddle time so keep that in mind

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Sorry, no blankets for birdies; it’s not safe and we hear lots of sad stories of birdie deaths from them every year from ingesting the strands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Are your birds fabric chewers? If so, it's likely wise to avoid/limit any contact with fabrics. If they don't chew on it, it would likely be safe under supervision. Kiwi sometimes likes to snuggle in our shirt or under the blankets if we make a little "blanket cave" for him to no ill effect and has never damaged any of his rope perches, toys or fabric sleeping hut. But for other birds, they want to chew on the fabric and that can lead to health complications and should not be allowed. Really, it comes down to your birds as individuals.

Most Reactions

Latest posts