cover cage?

skip

May 13, 2018
We just returned from a bird expo and was talking to one dealer/breeder who said to not cover the cage, an d leave a night light on. She said that if a strange sound was heard during the night, the bird would be able to see what was going on and not get startled as easily. We have always covered the cage (for over 23 yrs with our last parrot), having read that covering the cage provides a sense of security. We do not have a large enough house to have a separate night-time room for our parrot. Has anyone else heard of this idea of not covering the cage and leaving on a night light?

Skip

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
I've heard it but don't follow it.

I guess I'm old school but covering a cage at night is not only about security but protection from drafts.

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
I think it depends on the bird, Nike is never startled when she's covered, or when I throw the cover over her. She totally ignores it and goes to sleep.

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
Ive covered all the birds ive had, they do settle quicker and it helps build a sleep routine. Its nice when I cover Enzo as she will go to her sleeping perch, say 'nite, nite.....kiss', she then has a routine of climbing to the top of her cage 3 times and gives me a kiss each loop, then she goes to sleep.

She likes the routine, I like the kisses :lol:

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
I used to use a night light being concerned about night frights but have stopped using it. For my GCC I only cover only one corner of his cage where he sleeps. Kind of a security thing.

But for my adopted CAG that I have only had for a month, he was used to a cover so I do cover all but the front of his cage. My neighbor has a security light on all night and since I keep the curtains open (in the bird room), they get some residual light from that.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Most birds are fine to be covered and doing so in fact helps many sleep.

Some individuals do get night frights or have medical conditions etc... where a half covered cage an a night light become necessary but unless it's needed, I advocate against it. How well would you sleep with no blanket and a light on all night? Not well? Nor will your bird. Remember, these guys feel safer when not exposed and the jungle they naturally live in has no night lights (unless the moon happens to be bright some nights, I guess).

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Same here - I hear both: cover to ensure they get a good nights sleep (esp for birds in the livingroom) and (cockatoos mostly) something to prevent night-frights.

I have a problem: the cages are far too large to cover and I actually need special curtains because of all the ridiculous anti-burglary lights outside.
(During the wintermonths the nights are far brighter than the days - its insane!)
So I need to black out my windows so anyone can get some sleep.
(and lamplight seeps in anyway- so I have nightlights even if I dont want to)

Sunny is used to have something over the cage- so part of it gets covered with an old sleeping bag. (And it is the only way to shut her up when she starts being annoying late in the evening - so everyone is happy, including the neighbours)
Japie doesn't go to sleep without something on top of the cage (he was in a small-small cage with a playtop when we met) so there is a semi-permanent load of cardboard on his.

I used to try old bedsheets etc. , but they just made some convenient spy-holes in them and still continued to join in the fun ...

=

It's getting really hot lately ( we are promised a propper heatwave next week)
so no covers for anyone!

Last edited:

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
they just made some convenient spy-holes in them and still continued to join in the fun ...
/QUOTE]

hahaha, Enzo has a really heavy wool blanket over her and she has still chewed little spying holes in it as well. Im surprised just how light parrots sleep, I can creep down stairs some nights trying my absolute hardest not to wake her up and still she will say 'nite, nite'.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Kiwi has a "macaw size" cage and I had to custom make the cover out of extra wide fleece. It was pretty simple to do. I even made a roll up flap on the front for summer nights where it gets excessively hot (though I couldn't tell you if his poor sleep on nights the front is rolled up is due to light/noise or the heat!). If you can't sew, custom covers for large cages can be ordered online or you can just use a large king or cali king sized fleece blanket (or more than one, if the cage is that huge). Remember to choose a solid, dark color for your cage cover and make sure the fabric is breathable (i.e. none of the "blackout" plastic-like material used to back curtains with).

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Cage cover is something I use only occasionally. It may sort of help with the birds sleeping easier but it's not readily verifiable except by anecdotal evidence...I think it's fine, especially if it's a thicker cover used during colder winter months when people might be tempted to turn their heat down for frugality's sake (I don't do this, but I've observed some among "the older generation" which owns birds that may be comfortable doing this)

Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Question (sorry if I am highjacking again)
Just how do you stop the bird from making fish-nets out of the covers?

(I try not to encourage texile-gnawing, I don't mind it they eventually eat the cage-covers, but they always branch out into t-shirts & clothing, curtains, the clean washing etc.etc.)

I've also tried screens (of course these got demolished as well).

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots

(I try not to encourage texile-gnawing, I don't mind it they eventually eat the cage-covers, but they always branch out into t-shirts & clothing, curtains, the clean washing etc.etc.)

I dont believe you can, parrots are parrots. Ive had to throw so many great t-shirts and jumpers since Enzo is around as even a single bite to my clothing leaves a hole. I have some t-shirts that I wear if im in the house now, sacrificial and I dont care if Enzo's makes them worse.

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)

Search for a bird like Nike who doesn't chew :D

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Some parrots do chew their covers. Not sure it's a behavior you can really stop and unfortunately for those with particularly destructive individuals, cage covers will have to be replaced more often. You can patch them up and extend the life though!

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
My first 2 greys were absolute angels (well, textile-wise anyway ;) )
So it was quite a shock to get one with a taste for zippers, and now there is a macaw who thinks seams are something to exterminate ....
so.... Holey-parrots?

I think I'll just fix the curtains and go by the charity-shop for more bedsheets (I do not trust fleece - fakefiber and way to fluffy -> inviting to chew upon).

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I think this depends on the type of bird. Cockatoos tend to hold tightly to the perch and flat if startled at night. From what I have read, certain birds, like cockatiels, tend to take flight instead.

I cover my cockatoo (u2) because it really does help with her sleep and she needs a solid 12 hours. When startled, she does flap, but she doesn't fly, so I just make sure there is nothing for her to hit her wings on within her cage (within reason) and although her cage isn't MASSIVE (adequate for her size though) she has been fine.

Remember that you are looking at a creature who has to have sleep in order to regulate hormones etc. If you are within eye or ear shot and there is a lot of light coming through, that could interfere, but again, it depends on the variety of bird.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
PS: if you have a large cage that doesn't cover easily with standard sizes, I am pleased with my COZZZY COVER--- It was $78.95 for my size (needed one for a dome-top cage that was still large)...Anyway, it fits PERFECTLY and it has velcro on the sides so that you can let in light as needed. I keep mine shut though. My only complaint is that is has started to wear some after repeated washes in hot water. Nevertheless, it still works perfectly and my cockatoo has only attempted to chew at it a tiny bit. Generally, when the room darkens, she doesn't want to stay up and it happy to settle in. I would recommend it for people with larger cages (again, not THE LARGEST, but certainly large).

ChrisYNA

Jul 3, 2018
NJ, USA
Parrots
A Yellow-Naped Amazon girl, named Kuba
If your bird is OK with it then you can cover it. I think most are. Mine? Forget it. I only did that for the first 2 weeks to her screaming, running around upside down, and going nuts every time, before leaving her cage open one night and allowing her to sleep on top. Happy as a newborn the next day. Ever since, she's slept outside her cage. For the last two years, she's been enjoying her sleep on top of the room door. I put a couple blankets on the frame so it is nice and comfy. As far as light, a little night light is fine, just nothing bright. The same as for you and me, the best sleep is in a mostly dark room.

Most Reactions

Latest posts