Cuddly bird species?

Budgierose

Dec 10, 2021
Parrots
Hi! I am Budgierose! I don't have any birds yet but I love to learn about them and help others with my budgie information!
Hey! I have been looking into several bird species since I love birds and have always hoped to get one! Looking for any species of bird that loves to cuddle, is social, and pretty low maintenance! I figured this would be the place to ask, since I have heard that parakeets can be quite friendly! Please tell me some ideas of cute and cuddly birds that would be ideal! Thanks!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Sorry but one doesnt exist. Cockatoo is the "cuddliest" of the birds but the cuddling is a lie and its hormonal behavior and can lead to lots of screaming and biting. not to mention cockatoos are the highest maintenance of the parrot world.

All parrots are high maintenance. They're messy they poop a lot they require a lot of attention and they all bite.

Your best bet is an imprinted male pigeon not hand reared! that's important because you dont want the pigeon to see itself and humans as being the same species otherwise he will likely treat you as a mate which is a lot of biting and wrestling. Unlike parrots pigeons dont have "naughty" zones that you cant pet without triggering hormones. They're still messy however. As all birds are.

If you insist on a parrot species your closest bet would probably be the cockatiel. It's not a guarantee but they typically like head scratches and hanging out with their person. But again they are still messy. They produce lots of dust and when the molt you could fill a pillow with the feathers. They require a balanced diet that isnt just seed but they are picky eaters and sometimes it's hard to get them to eat things.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
SO we have some bubbles to burst here. Cuddling any parrot, regardless of species, is generally not a good idea. Our version of cuddling, to a human, involved touching, holding, scratching or otherwise contacting the parrot somewhere on his body. Those areas are considered inadvisable because they can trigger mating behavior. Humans cannot give a parrot who is in that hormonal mating condition the release they would get in nature by sex with a partner. Despite all the Youtube videos to the contrary, cuddling parrots is just creating an unnatural dynamic in the bird, which can lead to all sorts of releases you don't want, like biting, screaming or the worst - plucking, barbering or even self mutilation.

Secondly - there is not really a species that 100% of the members are going to universally like cuddling, it's very much an individual thing. However, there are several species that almost 100% of the time do NOT like cuddling or petting or scratching in general. Eclectus parrots and the whole ringneck family ( ringnecks, Alexandrine, plumheads and others in that family) have totally different feather structure then the rest of parrots and its pretty rare to find individuals who really enjoys a good scratch like Amazons, Cockatoos, Greys, and Macaws do. SO while you might find individuals who tolerate scratches within each of those species, the vast majority do not and a lot of them will deliver a nip ( or more) to indicate just how much they do not enjoy it. So if your going into parrot ownership, you have to keep that in mind and if cuddling is a main reason for selecting a parrot as a companion or pet, you really need to get to know the parrot well before you commit to getting that individual. Its the same like talking - some species are well known for talking great, like African Greys or Amazons, but there is no guarantee that any one individual is going to even talk at all. Some do and some never utter a word.

God on you for doing your research before comitting to ownership!

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I'd say that with conures cuddling bird is almost guarantee
Not always, but certainly a higher chance than some other families/species. However they are deff not low maintenance compared to a budgie, let's say!

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
What other members said is pretty true - cuddling a bird carries some strong risks of the parrot choosing you as their mate which can be catastrophic. Talking from experience here.

I personally chose a smaller pyrrhura species (Emma's conure), mostly because I love their clowny yet cuddly nature, they love cuddling up, and not THAT loud, but still can punch a nice screech. As Rozalka and I stated - this is not a guarantee that they will be cuddly. There are plentiful of conures who simply don't like being touched. I have read here on forums and heard from a breeder that quakers are cuddle bugs too.

When I say cuddling a bird, I mainly mean giving them their head and neck scratches, maximum holding them in my hand where they are comfy. Petting anywhere but the head should be avoided, not to trigger hormones.

Now, thing with "cuddly" birds is that they are highly social, but can get very clingy. Litteral velcro birds. And far as I am aware, even the tiny pyrrhura species are pretty high maintenance, they need their mental stimulation, they are super messy and can also get loud. Thing with velcro birds is that in lack of attention bad behaviour easily is born - usually in form of shouting or worse, self mutilation, aka plucking. When I talk about maintenance, I compare it to a budgie and even a cockatiel. But to be fair, almost all birds are high maintenance pets to be honest...

I made a thread about how my dear Pascal became a super snuggle bug, which was my dream come true! He was a parent raised bird, was completely a wild bird 8 months ago, at age of 7 months when I got him. Now he is a pretty tame bird. While it is super that he is cuddly and keeps following me around, that means that he takes up a lot of my time and attention, and all the poops around. However, I am more happy to see him play rather than just cuddle - an active bird is certainly a healthy bird!
That being said, there is always much more to just cuddle and maintain a bird!

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
OP
Budgierose

Budgierose

Dec 10, 2021
Parrots
Hi! I am Budgierose! I don't have any birds yet but I love to learn about them and help others with my budgie information!
SO we have some bubbles to burst here. Cuddling any parrot, regardless of species, is generally not a good idea. Our version of cuddling, to a human, involved touching, holding, scratching or otherwise contacting the parrot somewhere on his body. Those areas are considered inadvisable because they can trigger mating behavior. Humans cannot give a parrot who is in that hormonal mating condition the release they would get in nature by sex with a partner. Despite all the Youtube videos to the contrary, cuddling parrots is just creating an unnatural dynamic in the bird, which can lead to all sorts of releases you don't want, like biting, screaming or the worst - plucking, barbering or even self mutilation.

Secondly - there is not really a species that 100% of the members are going to universally like cuddling, it's very much an individual thing. However, there are several species that almost 100% of the time do NOT like cuddling or petting or scratching in general. Eclectus parrots and the whole ringneck family ( ringnecks, Alexandrine, plumheads and others in that family) have totally different feather structure then the rest of parrots and its pretty rare to find individuals who really enjoys a good scratch like Amazons, Cockatoos, Greys, and Macaws do. SO while you might find individuals who tolerate scratches within each of those species, the vast majority do not and a lot of them will deliver a nip ( or more) to indicate just how much they do not enjoy it. So if your going into parrot ownership, you have to keep that in mind and if cuddling is a main reason for selecting a parrot as a companion or pet, you really need to get to know the parrot well before you commit to getting that individual. Its the same like talking - some species are well known for talking great, like African Greys or Amazons, but there is no guarantee that any one individual is going to even talk at all. Some do and some never utter a word.

God on you for doing your research before comitting

thank you for this info! I know that not all birds love cuddling and of course I just mean a bird that is social and will handle the occasional pet or scratch.

Thank you so much for this reply! It is very informational. I perhaps worded my message wrong, I meant a bird that is quite social and will like to be around me, I want a bird that will handle and perhaps enjoy the occasional scritch or pet. Thank you for this info!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Hey there!

social? They can ALL be social.

most of them will like scritches to some extent or other.

low maintenance? You’re looking at the wrong animal. If it’s a parrot you want, erase this from your vocabulary.

if low maintenance is what you’re looking for, scratch parrot off your list.

Parrots of any species will be high maintenance. Even what you might consider lower maintenance are still very high maintenance compared to more common pets like cats and dogs.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi,
We all jump on that because its exactly what won't work with parrots. And then they get re homed passed around or neglected, it happens all the time. Nearly all my birds were re homed to me because people couldn't handle the time, the mess, the need for attention all the time, the loud noise, the destruction every single day .

So we get scared when people say low maintenance. Parrots are high maintenance.

They need at least 5 hours out of cage time, ideal is out when ever you are home. They are flock oriented, an alone burd is a dead burd. So they are hard wired to want to be with you the stand in flock.

Now you know more about what they are like. You can decide if that's a commitment you can honor for the next 20 plus years, abd who ever will live with you or yiu are in a relationship with. Because often that causes a lot of friction.

But there us a lot of joy and love when you live with a happy well cared for bird freind.

We really don't say these things against you, but to share the reality. And many others not brave enough to ask questions but will read this over , even years from now.

We don't want to dash your dreams. We do want to support you!!

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Hey! I have been looking into several bird species since I love birds and have always hoped to get one! Looking for any species of bird that loves to cuddle, is social, and pretty low maintenance! I figured this would be the place to ask, since I have heard that parakeets can be quite friendly! Please tell me some ideas of cute and cuddly birds that would be ideal! Thanks!
Low maintenance...as in cleaning?
Here, it is directly corresponded to size, I think. The smaller the size and weight, the less space, less poop, less mess, less bitey blood...(Yep, birds may bite and draw blood just like dogs if you don’t have time to play with them)

How is this little noisy fellow? He seems cuddly but he is this way because the owner spends lots and lots of time socializing him. If low maintenance means less time is available to train and sit together....then how can the bird be bonded and cuddly? The minimum of 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour before sun set will be needed.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Ps
The mentioned 2 hours perday is a minimum requirement to get by. But will never lead to cuddly well socialize bird. With little time, you might end up with a bird that is scared of everything every one. I am hoping this will means you will allow more time.

samirae

Apr 5, 2014
I think birds may not be for you. There's really no such thing as a cuddly bird, they're all going to want space and possibly become hormonal and aggressive as they age. But, if you're looking for a cuddly pet, many shelter dogs are very cuddly. If you need something smaller, mice and rats are very social, super smart, trick trainable, and often warm and cuddly. Some ferrets are cuddly as well.

But birds are the vast majority of the time NOT going to be cuddly. They might be for their first year, but birds age and change as hormones and instincts set in, and that's only year ONE out of twenty to forty years, depending on the species. That's the rest of your life that you'd need to dedicate to an animal that may never ever be cuddly, cute, quiet, hand tame, etc.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
I agree Int
I think birds may not be for you. There's really no such thing as a cuddly bird, they're all going to want space and possibly become hormonal and aggressive as they age. But, if you're looking for a cuddly pet, many shelter dogs are very cuddly. If you need something smaller, mice and rats are very social, super smart, trick trainable, and often warm and cuddly. Some ferrets are cuddly as well.

But birds are the vast majority of the time NOT going to be cuddly. They might be for their first year, but birds age and change as hormones and instincts set in, and that's only year ONE out of twenty to forty years, depending on the species. That's the rest of your life that you'd need to dedicate to an animal that may never ever be cuddly, cute, quiet, hand tame, etc.
I agree entirely with you birds are really snuggly per say but some species do like scratches occasionally. Birds aren't really cuddly but I prefer them over cats, dogs, rabbits ect. Because there more independent more likely to want to spend a little bit of alone time now and then.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Respect for researching and seeking opinions before purchasing/adopting! Volumes of wisdom and advice shared above, perhaps calibrating your desires and expectations helpful before proceeding. You may still be superb candidate after assessing virtues and demands of companion avians. A helpful technique is drawing vertical line down center of sheet of paper. List positives at left, negatives to right; chances are one column significantly deeper and enlightening!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
quakers and conures are cudlers. cockatiels as well. Many species may be, It really depends on if the bird was hand raised or if you will put in the time. My conure is basically a bug of cuddleing but my quaker is too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts