Danger with toys ...

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
I have a question about toys.
I'm really careful. There is no eating from my plate or going near hot tea etc.
No chewing on anything that could be toxic.
I bought bird toys that are natural wood... brought wood perches in from trees outside. Sisal ropes and sea grass hut and mat.
He also has some strong plastic parrot toys which he loves. He hangs off them being crazy.
This morning I heard a weird noise before I opened the blinds.
I thought he was being silly but it didn't stop.
So I rushed out and he's hanging by his beak from bell on his mirror.
He loves bells. He usually takes the middle out so they don't ting. This one he hasn't. And he loves the mirror. Not necessarily to look in. But to play with and he rests it up against himself and talks to it.
Now I'm freaked out. And so glad I was here. He also has rings. He loves them more. He hangs off them and sticks his head through.
Now I'm worried he'll choke himself.
Do you take bells off ... or avoid certain toys ??
He really got a shock and went quiet.
Better now he's eating.
I thought it was his tongue .... but I'm pretty sure it was his beak.
Now he's playing with the rings and I'm thinking ... do I need to remove certain toys if I go out šŸ¤”

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Not sure what kind of ring, but bells (esp ā€œjingleā€ bells or the cheaply made kind that might have zinc or can be pried apart and swallowed) can definitely be a safety hazard. We left the bell on our parrotā€™s boing perch because he doesnā€™t mess with it, but Iā€™ve removed bells off otherwise safe toys before.

Mirrors can encourage poor behavior also, and they can get obsessed with them - our tiel was so bad about mirrored surfaces that we had to buy a plastic water bowl because heā€™d obsess over his reflection in the stainless one.

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
Not sure what kind of ring, but bells (esp ā€œjingleā€ bells or the cheaply made kind that might have zinc or can be pried apart and swallowed) can definitely be a safety hazard. We left the bell on our parrotā€™s boing perch because he doesnā€™t mess with it, but Iā€™ve removed bells off otherwise safe toys before.

Mirrors can encourage poor behavior also, and they can get obsessed with them - our tiel was so bad about mirrored surfaces that we had to buy a plastic water bowl because heā€™d obsess over his reflection in the stainless one.
Yep I think all small bells will go.
He doesn't look in the mirror.
He just plays with it. I go past a mirror and show him. He doesn't care at all.
I'll keep an eye on him though.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
THe cheap bells that are used on parrot toys are quite dangerous, as you found out. The only safe ones are the long tubular stainless steel ones, where they can't even get close to the clappers. I have a few of them and I have one thats conure sized, if you want it. Salty loves his, its one of his favorite toys and 100% safe. Other toy dangers are the split keyring type of attachment points; sharp beaks are easily caught in the split. The safe thing to use are the teardrop shaped rings that have a screw type closing. And even those can be dangerous if the point part is left in the down position, as they can catch a leg in the "V'" part of the ring. I always do a daily check to make sure the round end is in the bottom position so he cant get a leg stuck. Any ring that your parrot can get his head through, unless it is way oversized, has a potential to be dangerous.

THe general consensus here is that mirrors are to be avoided, period. It has the potential to mess with your parrots head psychologically having such a close relationship with the 'bird' in the mirror. The fact that he talks to it and snuggles next to it is not a good sign, but this is strictly up to you as far as a 'danger'.

Another thing that is dangerous for parrots are those "Happy Hut" things. We have read so many times on here of a parrot that either ingests fibers that they have loosened from chewing on the hut material, or they get caught in a loop of thread or other material and get strangled. Parrots do not need a "hut" to sleep in. If you think he needs something like that, one recommendation it to take a soft, safe material hand cloth and hang it by a corner, so if they want to they can snuggle next to it. You still need to watch for active chewing of the material but the chances of freeing a loop of thread are easier to see.

Good on you for recognizing the dangers of toys and such to your parrot.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
@wrench13 your wording and explanations are so helpful to me -reinforcing the idea of daily checks, for example; thank you!

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
I've just bought some new stainless steel tube bells.
I've taken the rest off.
I'm not worried about the mirror. He leans on it and talks to himself sometimes. He's not looking at himself.
He uses it like he does his other toys. Leans on them while scratching his head talking to himself.
If he was aggressive or too obsessed I'd take it.
But its just one of many things he has.
The hut is seagrass. It's quite big. He runs through but doesn't chew it. Must be one of the few things he is allowed to chew but doesn't.
It has toys on it that he flicks around.
I am probably too careful. I avoid anything he can chew and digest that could cause issues.
My lounge and kitchen look like a laundry. Stuff draped over certain furniture that he really wants to chew.
I cannot work out how to distract him away. Nothing works so far. And I'm afraid I am not prepared to let him do whatever he likes.
Which really makes it much harder for me.
The new cage was great because it fitted all his toys. Which I thought I'd been really careful with.
But he's a big chewer. And nothing I do stops him.
Now I'm worried about the toys ... I took the rings out because I could see how easy he could get caught. I'll buy him bigger ones that he won't get stuck in šŸ¤ž

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Whoops @FiFee Fiona I thought I'd replied to you as well earlier - It must've been scary to see this happen! I just want to say I'm really glad you're here on the forum. I think you're doing really well keeping calm and continuing to try to figure out what will work for your situation.

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
Whoops @FiFee Fiona I thought I'd replied to you as well earlier - It must've been scary to see this happen! I just want to say I'm really glad you're here on the forum. I think you're doing really well keeping calm and continuing to try to figure out what will work for your situation.
I'm trying.
I wasn't expecting to have a bird suddenly. And I don't think I would have chosen a conure. I usually do lots of research before I do anything. I was thinking of a bird. But an easier one lol...
But here he is .... hanging off anything he can to chew it.
He still bites me a lot ... but I do see improvement. Some are more gentle now.
He is determined. If he wants it he won't stop.
But then he comes and sleeps on me and I'm ashamed I get angry with him. And then .... he bites me so hard we go into the loop again.
He got some new toys today ... no bells and nothing he can get his stuck in šŸ˜šŸ¤ž

PyroParrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Dec 30, 2021
Parrots
Sunny: Sun conure, hatch 2/2021
When my sunny bites too hard i say ā€œNO!!ā€ Very firm. Does it again, ā€œNO!!!!ā€ Very firm and remover beak if necessary/possible, the say in very clam voice, ā€œbe gentleā€. I get some ā€˜trial bites after that- hard=NO! Soft Chomp = good bird, good gentlešŸ„° happy, praise and a seed treat. I am quite certain she tests it out a bit to make sure that is the connection (šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø) but it does work out. They are dumb like a fox!!! Little buggers!

Most Reactions